“They are always right”

Borghese Palace Art Hotel
Ranked #145 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Having stayed the night in this good looking Hotel well placed in Florence I am amazed it is able to sustain its rating. Lets be clear on a couple of things, it was freezing in the junior suite we had for our room and the reason according to reception is because the room was so big. They gave us a tiny fan heater but you cannot leave them on all night of course. the cold was not because it was actually cold and the heating didnt work of course. In the morning when we briefed the daytime team that the night had been really cold they checked the thermostat and said its 24, well since all morning we had the fan heater on once we were awake and the fact it was no longer the middle of the night seems to have been ignored in their justifying the room temperature throughout out stay.
The Jacuzzi by the way is also their swimming pool, weird since it was barely medium size and there is no way you could swim, but anyway it was out of order, but its being fixed just as soon as we leave, they actually asked us what time we were checking out before saying that was just before the maintenance were coming, the impression we got was that It had been out of order so far this year so bit of a coincidence.

They gave us 20% off, but at 270 € per night they had plenty of room to do that I think.

Certainly a great place to stay if you wish to argue each point you make, but not value for money.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Vic A
robi67, General Manager at Borghese Palace Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2012

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for writing a review on Tripadvisor ! I am terribly sorry for all thye inconvenience occurred during your 1 night stay over !

Regarding our Jacuzzi , is a whirlpool, not a swinning pool and swinning is not allowed in our Jacuzzi and is never been published as a regular pool.

Coincedences are part of our lifes but we really do all efforts to guarantee all our guests a nice and comfortable stay stay , but in your case we failed .

Sorry again fero all happened and next time come and stay longer and give the opportunity to be forgiven .

Thank you very much for your time and attention

Reviewed December 5, 2011

We stayed for 5 nights and really enjoyed this hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful and owner Alessandra and assistant Mariana really made us feel welcome. The rooms are spacious and well fitted out; the beds very comfortable. Location really pleased us as not too close to the Ponte Vecchio but an easy walk to everything we wished to see. Never needed a taxi and we walked from the train station with our carryon. Our room faced the street so had a view of street and lots of fresh air and sunlight. We were very happy staying there and would do so again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the street.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DaveG374

Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your review on Tripadvisor ! OurGuest satisfaction is our top priority and we all do daily efforts to ensure our guiest a memorable stay !

Reviewed December 2, 2011

We stayed for 3 nights in October. Our room overlooked the courtyard at the back and was a little dark, but clean and quiet and we were not disturbed by any noise at night. Hotel is quite stylish but could now do with some modernising / upgrading, especially in the bathrooms (our shower was small but hot water was plentiful and water pressure acceptable). As it was October we did not need aircon. Staff are polite and the bar is cosy and welcoming - free wi fi here. We did not use the jacuzzi. Breakfast is good and wholesome with a nice choice of breads, pastries, cold meat, fruit etc, but ask for fresh cofee of your choice - the capuccino is excellent - and avoid the stuff left out in the hot jug.
Overall, not really a four star but location makes up for this, all major tourist attractions just a short walk away. It would have been nice to have a restaurant in the hotel, although there was a wide choice nearby.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Panoramica
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Given the compactness of Florence's historic center, pretty much any hotel in the area is going to be fantastically located. Within a 5-minute walk, you can be pretty much anywhere. But what's especially nice about this hotel's location is that it's just far enough off the beaten path that it's quiet. There's a little foot traffic on the street, but it's absolutely nothing compared to hotels directly in the center or on the river, and there's little noise outside, making it easy to get a good night's sleep.

The hotel is stylish, although it's starting to look slightly dated (that's the price you pay for being on the bleeding edge of design at a certain point in time; that look doesn't last long). As one would expect in the center of an old Italian city, rooms are quite compact, but I didn't feel crowded (other than when trying to use the desk, as the only way to sit at it was at an angle due to the placement of the bed directly behind). As others have noted, the shower was a bit confusing to figure out at first (there's a control for the water, and another for which shower head is active, and it's not at all clear at first which goes to what), but that was easily solved. The only issue in my room was that the mattress needed replacing, as it's clear that people favored one side over the other, causing it to slope from one side to the other. Still, it wasn't bad enough to keep me from sleeping well.

The front desk staff are friendly, helpful and accommodating. They were quickly responsive when I encountered a couple small issues, and they were helpful when I had questions or needed something. Breakfast staff aren't quite as friendly, but not problematically so.

Overall, this is a great location and hotel in the center of Florence. With a better mattress, I probably would have rated this as excellent instead of very good.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Tef5
Reviewed November 6, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for two nights and were really happy with the location and the rooms. The staff were excellent- very friendly and extremely helpful. We were not able to get much hot water which was the only downside to an otherwise really good and very convenient hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor which had a slightly unconventional room layout. The rooms on the thir...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Yes, the single room is small, and yes, not having access to the terrace and only having Wi-Fi in the lobby (think of doing your email in the lobby in your pajamas!), but at the end of the day, I really appreciated my room (a double) at his incredibly centrally located hotel. It was very quiet, and very safe for a single traveler, even though so close to all the major attractions as well as lovely local shops (check out the salumniria Pegna a few blocks away for some of the finest salami and prociutto in town, as well as the Le Herbore, home to beautiful little rose-shaped and rose-infused candies to take home.

One really neat thing about being so centrally located is that it opens up opportunities for you. For example, if you pass the Duomo during the day, there is usually a line queued up for entrance. But because you pass the Duomo multiple times during the day, and because it is so close to the hotel, you can walk straight in at 5:30 p.m. and have Michelangelo to yourself (for the most part). Highly recommended.
I also give the staff kudos for hearing me out when at first I was not thrilled with my room. The manager did listen to me and was most accommodating. And Mashiliano was most helpful, too.

Beware of the train station, though. For locals in Florence, the train station is no big deal. For visitors to the country... it's much more difficult. It took me an hour to sort out my pre-purchased ticket, as the staff at the station seem to have never heard of an electronic ticket. Allow plenty of time.

Room Tip: Secure a double room, at minimum. And the higher up, the better.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I stayed here with my husband in June this year. The hotel is in a great central location within a few minutes walk of all the major attractions but quiet and therefore worth considering booking.
I had booked this hotel because it advertised a roof terrace/garden, but was disappointed when I was advised that it could not be accessed as work was being done. This was only relayed after I enquired about this. The hotel should have been upfront about this. The shower was a nightmare and did not work properly. Problems with the water pressure. When I attempted to use the hand held part of it to wash my hair, all I got from it on each occasion was a boiling hot dribble.
Ber
ware the free drink voucher. I got my free prosecco, but when my husband, who does not drink, ordered a can of coke he was charged 6 euros after it was poured!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PMT1231
robi67, General Manager at Borghese Palace Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2011

Dear Tipadvisor user,
thank you very much review and we are very sorry for the accident occurred ! The shower is a bit of a problem bacuse there is one handle only and at first can appera a bit difficult to use .
All our staff is always available to help and assist .
We apologize for the terrace but the maintenance works on it have been delayed and the terrace will remain closed for the coming up period.
Only now ,that we know exactly, we are informing our customers about this inconvenience.
I apologize for the unpleasant experience and I promise that we will fix all very soon and I thank you for your time and attention

Hotel Borghese Palace