“bellissima vacanza”

Ranked #105 of 675 Florence B&B and Inns
NY
“bellissima vacanza”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed here for 2 weeks (to visit a cousin studying abroad) and loved it. Nice location...walk a few steps to the right once you exit the B&B and you can see the Duomo.
Elisa was great. She was always there when she said she would be (i.e. 8am to 1pm except on her day off) and was willing to help with whatever I needed, even making a museum reservation at the "Uffizi" for me in addition to assisting with the best modes of transportation. She was always friendly and I looked forward to running into her at the front desk before having breakfast, which is also included. The homemade cake at breakfast is a nice touch as well. A nice amenity for me was the water dispenser (with options for cold and frizzante) because I did not have to worry about buying a bottle of water before heading out for the day. The place has some nice character with a balcony overlooking a courtyard off the lobby and some frescoes on the walls. The wi-fi was important to me and worked well while I was there (there are 2 computers if you do not bring a device to access the internet). There is also a safe in the room if needed. The walk to the train station took me about 15mins, and that station (Santa Maria Novella) is a nice hub if you want to travel by train to other parts of Italy. This review would go on for days if I were to talk about how amazing Florence is, so I will just say it should be on everyone's bucket list of places to see in the world.
If (more like "when") I come back to Florence, I would stay here again.
Great city, great people, great place.

Room Tip: -Stayed in the single...bathroom was down the hall but not a huge deal for me
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Stefan9935
annameo, Owner at Casa Rovai Guest House, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Stefan,
thank you very much for your kind words!
We are very happy to hear that you had a great time here in Florence and that you enjoyed your stay with us!
We really hope to meet you again.. so soon!
A big hug from all of us,
Elisa Anna e Marilena

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The location of the hotel is pretty good as it is quiet, away from Florence's duomo (but not too far). The walk is about 8 minutes. There is a laundry close by, which is convenient if you need to wash. The guest house is pretty old and doesn't have an elevator so you'll have to carry your bags around 3 flights of stairs- not convenient for older couples. There isn't someone at the reception full time, which isn't practical at all. We got an email from the guest house the same morning we were due to arrive asking about our arrival time as no one will be there after 1pm. The guest house did call us to confirm when we are coming, which was good of them. Should I have not checked my email I don't know what would've happened.
The staff were helpful, especially Lisa, as she tried to explain to us the main attractions.
Don't expect much of the breakfast.. Honestly the breakfast place is a bit depressing as the room was gloomy. The room was very spacious, which was nice. However, the bed wasn't comfortable at all. If you have back problems then I don't recommend this hotel... The quality of sleep wasn't good due to the mattress and plenty Mosquitos! My husband got bitten in more than 7 places! Also, Don't expect to sleep in during mornings as the noise/talking from the reception is so loud as if they were talking over your head. On one night we actually couldn't sleep due to people talking in the opposite building at 3am, even though we had the windows closed.
If you looking for a strategically located hotel then go for this one.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
annameo, Owner at Casa Rovai Guest House, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear guest
we always try to improve our service based on the reports of our guests
However, I need to specify some things.
Your reservation came the night before your arrival so we could not contact you before.
We never left a guest out the door, we simply ask the approximate time of arrival so that we can better organize your welcoming.
This is not a hotel as can be seen well from the website containing all the information. It 'a Florentine house belonged to our family for the past 150 years, located in a historic building that is 500 years old, furnished with antique furniture. If by this you mean that it is an old house yes it is, and probably was not what you were looking for.

For mosquitoes, which of course we can not control, each room is equipped with a device that contains a liquid (organic) that keeps them away. For those who decide to use the air conditioning and keep the windows closed there is no problem.

The breakfast room is a large room with a decorated ceiling height of 6 meters. Marilena offers every morning a homemade cake: she cooks it early in the morning and guest usually loves the smell of it. Very often many of our guests ask us for the recipes...and we keep in touch for a while sending them.
In addition to this we offer espresso and American coffee, cappuccino, tea, cold and hot milk, yogurt and fresh fruit, cereal, biscuits, cheese and ham, bread, butter and jam ...
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 10, 2013

If you want a hotel with an elevator and a concierge don't stay here. If you want an authentic centuries old Florentine experience in the heart of everything yet quiet and peaceful then this is the place for you. We stayed here with another couple from Australia and had the best time - the staff were friendly and genuinely helped us with advice on things to do and places to visit. Again, the last reviewer seemed to want a full English breakfast - man this is Italy so try doing things their way. We found the breakfast to be basic but their was plenty of it and there was even a home made cake - made with love. The bed was big and comfortable and the ensuite bathroom clean and functional. The staircase, for me, gave the guest house its charm - worn steps from hundreds of years of use and handcrafted timber handrail (and it was well lit when we stumbled home after a night on great local vino). The lovely girls there even tried to teach us Aussies some Italian - Brava Casa Rovai (or is that Bravo?).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
annameo, Owner at Casa Rovai Guest House, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Alan,
thank you so much for your words and especially thanks for your symapathy!
It is nice to know that you really appreciated your stay, our suggestions... our cakes!!
I hope to meet you and your friends again,
A special hug from Florence,
Elisa, Marilena e Anna (brave!!!!)
Vinkeveen
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This B&B is well-located in the centre of Firenza, in a very old building. You are only minutes away from from lots of very interesting things. But remember, there is no elevator and you have to rise two floors with your luggage before you reach the service-desk and your room. The rooms are clean and comfortable and you can use the free WiFi. In our room we had an external (private) bathroom so you have to go through the desk-room. But there is an bathrobe available.
The personal, Anna and Elisa, is very helpfull. They help you with everything you need. As well internal as external with visiting which museum or where to eat.
The breakfast is good with a nice home-baked cake!
Special attention for parking your car. Thats quite impossible in the area, except in the nearby situated Parking-Garage. But you pay 25 euro's a day and 5 euro's an hour.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Barbara,
thank you for your review, that is so important for us and for guests that want to come!
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our suggestions.
We love recommending not only tourist destinations or restaurants, so that our guests can really experience Florence and the florentine life!
We hope to welcome you agian and we send you our best regards,
Elisa & Anna
Havre de Grace, Maryland
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is one of the most difficult reviews I have done, especially in light of other reviews of this property. What I think it boils down to is that as long as you understad exactly what you are buying, you will not be as disappointed as we were.

First, the hotel is ideally located within walking distance of the Duomo, Ponte Vecchio and other main attractions. It is also relatively quiet for a city-center location. The rooms are nice. The staff is reasonably helpful, but with an asterisk as you will see. They are helpful for limited town attractions and even nicely, but unsuccessfully, attempted to get us a ticket to the Uffizi Museum.

Now for the "issues". Not mentioned in the literature I viewed online when I registered is that the B&B is on the third floor of a tiny building that doubles as apartments and office space. Next, if not enough help is available (we only saw three staff during our stay), you have to carry your luggage up the stairs yourself. To their credit, the three women did come downstairs to help with my wife's luggage, but I had to carry my suitcase. When we left everyone was busy so we carried all our bags ourselves. Did I mention there is no elevator?

Next, and this one is very significant, when we arrived back at the hotel after dark, the staircase was absolutely pitch dark! If not for our iPhone flashlight app, doing those stairs would have been challenging, to say the least. I think a single woman would be petrified. Plus, I cannot imagine what the liability issues would be in case of a fall.

The hotel is located on a somewhat seedy side-street as we learned when we came back at night and there were lots of young men hanging out drinking on the corner. Also, lots of litter on the sidewalk.

As far as parking goes, if you dare drive into Florence (as we did), parking is a block away and costs $25 Euros for each 24 hours, with a $5 Euro charge for each additional hour. Normally you would get a major fine for driving into the city center, but if you pay an additional $1 Euro the parking garage notifies the police and they nullify the fine. You should also know that you will have to lug your suitcases through the street (the sidewalks are too narrow), which are beautiful, but uneven, flagstone all the way. I mention this and the stairs so that elderly guests will think carefully before booking here.

While the breakfast is highly touted in the advertising, we found it to be rather mediocre, as did another couple we met at breakfast. Coffee, tea, a few fruit choices, yogurt, toast/jam, corn flakes, one pastry choice. The woman who supervises the breakfast was very helpful. The breakfast room is very small and crowded.

The shower worked fine, the room was clean and nicely appointed. There is free Wifi. The woman at the desk, however, was quite negative and unhelpful for the most part. During the day, after noon, you will not find anyone in the B&B. Same is true in the evenings. To their credit, they allude to this, although tangentially, in some of their literature.

We felt the price was reasonable ($90 Euros in early May), but on our next visit to Florence (Firenze) we will choose other lodging.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
annameo, Owner at Casa Rovai Guest House, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Guest,
thank you for your message: we truly believe it help a lot reading review written by people who have been with us at Casa Rovai to improve our services.
Nevertheless we strongly believe it is important to replicate when things described are generated from premises that seems to be not coherent or that the comment contains information not corresponding to the reality of things.
- You describe Casa Rovai as an hotel while it is a B & B and it is
not a matter of form but of substance because you did not booked
directly but the reservation was made on the same the day of your arrival by
the receptionist of the hotel where you stayed before coming to
us, you did not visited our web site and had no idea of the
structure that you had booked.

- You say that the property is on the third floor while our B & B is
on the first. Our site that you didn't had a chance to visit says clearly that we
do not have lift. Despite this, upon arrival at the entrance two people came down
at the entrance to carry your luggage but have only been able to help your
wife, since you did not accept to be helped by a woman , same
thing at the time of departure.

- a very serious complaint concerns the alleged lack of light in the stairs.
This is just something that cannot happens since any structure in Italy (and everywhere else in the world, I guess) would not have the legal authority to act as if there was no lighting.
The lights are there, just to be swiched on at the entrance: the switch is
glowing so that can be easily identified.

But most of the complaints concerns organizational aspects of your journey that
do not compete to us even if we are always happy and used to assist our guests in
the best way possible...but we cannot do impossible things:
* On Monday the Uffizi Gallery and the Accademia Museum are closed for weekly
rest and the next day there were no more entrance that could be booked;
* Just before leaving you asked us to make a reservation for an Hotel in
Abruzzo without specifying which city or if you preferred the
countryside etc. When we asked for some more details you replied that you would have done it on your own;
* You entered into the merits of the number of people who worked considering that
three people for six rooms were insufficient...
* You found the side walk down the street uncomfortable...how can we dial
with this?
*Finally, all these complains for less than 24hours stay: reservation on the morning
of 6th, check in the afternoon of 6th, check out the morning of May 7 ...
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We absolutely enjoyed our stay at Casa Rovai.

Elisa and Anna are very kind and nice, and made our stay a friendly one. Their advices on hidden and nice places were amazing, including restaurants for "local" people. We didn't felt being tourists!

We loved very much our room (Passione) and its remarkable frescoes: an original of the sixteenth century!!

A lovely place to stay in such a beautiful city.

Room Tip: if you are a couple, ask for the Passione room!! It is really nice!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marina N
Dear Marina,
thank you very much for your review!
It was nice to meet you and I really hope to welcome you again very soon... we still have a lot of suggestions to give you about Florence!!
Best,
Anna and Elisa
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

This is a great place centrally located. I felt like a resident more than a tourist. The rooms are beautiful, and large for Europe. Nice clean bathrooms, lovely breakfast. The water machine was my favorite! Would go back again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank shellbellmay
annameo, Owner at Casa Rovai Guest House, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Shellbellmay,
Thank you so much for your words!
It was very nice to meet you and I'm very happy to hear that you felt like a resident and not like a tourist.. this is exactly what we hope to make our guests feel!!
I send you my best regards and I hope to welcome you again at Casa Rovai!
Anna