Hotel Crocini
$340
$332
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstrain stationminute walktraditional buildingcroissantssame blockstar hotelquiet streetdecent sizecomplimentary breakfastprivate bathroomvery nice hotelcold cutscoffee machinethe room was nicenice breakfasthotel roomthe air conditioning
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We traveled as a couple and spent 3 nights there in mid-April.
Rate was 72.74EUR on average including breakfast, before tax.

Pros:
The staff was super! The afternoon shift Gabriel speaks very good English and gave us a ton of helpful information for our 3 days visit. There were total 4 shifts and everybody was nice and friendly. The morning shift also works on breakfast.

The great customer service in this hotel makes it unique and valuable, unlike most of the other hotels in Italy, where I felt people just did not like working.

The neighborhood was quiet and nice.
The location is not too bad. It takes 20 minutes by walk to reach the center of Firenze. A nearby river made the walk enjoyable.
We were lucky to have the room facing the yard with a big patio. It was a nice feeling to have a sip of tea in the patio.
Having AC/heater available in the room was nice.
The breakfast was simple but nice.

Great value overall as a two star hotel.

Cons:
The hotel is an old building itself. The sound insulation is not ideal. There was some sort of water dripping noise in the pipes.
The room is small. The cleanness could have been better.
WiFi was slow, just like most of the hotels in Italy.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SDCA2011
crocini, Proprietario at Hotel Crocini, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear hjan2011
thank you for your feedback, nice to have words of appreciation for our service. Our standard double room 23 that you described in the review is actually the smaller double of the hotel and even if all the double rooms of the hotel are facing the courtyard n° 23 is the only one with that big patio, good to know you liked it.
Also Florence is a pretty old medieval town so the buildings in the center are ... old... this is what, and being the area absolutely and totally silent at night sometimes happens to hear some water flowing in the pipes. Just to let you know, the wardrobe in the room you had is a 1794 handcraft production, is that old enought?? :)
Once again thank you, I hope to see you again very soon at the Crocini

Reviewed May 13, 2013

A good choice for the budget traveler, Hotel Crocini is just a few minutes further from the center of the city than other places. It is one block in from the Arno. Close to the main train station (SMN) but not too close. 15 minutes to the Duomo, maybe 20 depending on how fast you walk. But the value is really unbeatable. It is a simple place – a place to sleep, clean, easy to find and inexpensive. However, let me share the experience I had there so you can judge whether the place will meet your needs.

Upon arrival, the desk clerk walked me up to my room, opened the door and my heart sank a bit. The room was dark and the CFLs were so dim, the walls in slight need of paint, that I was disappointed. A large bed took up much of the room. There was a small desk, two night tables. A small flat-screen HD TV wall mounted. But then I opened the shutters – those large, almost ceiling high windows you see in Florence and light poured in from the courtyard below (also serves as a small car park). The floor was tile which is much cleaner than the dingy carpets you find in many such places. I take slippers with me and use them at expensive hotels but due to the tile floor it was not necessary. The small bath had new fixtures – large sink, tub/Shower, toilet, bidet. I think the tile floor had radiant heat but not positive. Soap and shampoo provided – toothbrush too – which does not always happen at these budget places.

The place certainly grew on me over the 7 nights I stayed there (on business). Breakfast was served in a very large, light and pleasant room. Choices were limited and the coffee was not the best, but it sufficed. (Ask for espresso – someone has to make it – and it’s a lot better.) Wireless is free, with several access points. There are 2 PCs near the lobby if you need access. Note, too, that you leave your key at the front and that the door is locked. This is safe -- if you stay at a place with a key card your room can be accessed by staff anyway! Someone is on duty 24/7 so there is no curfew as there is at similar places. No one ever minded a late return. Check this out if you book a typical ‘Pensione” – some places do have a curfew. Daily maid service is a plus, and the place was very, very clean.

There is also A/C - I did not need it but do be aware that small, inexpensive places may not have AC. Florence gets pretty toasty this time of year but the evenings were cool and lovely.

You have read about the helpful manager and staff. It’s true – very helpful and thoughtful. Always willing to direct you to a place to eat or give other suggestions. I was there for work, but on my one day off they made a few calls for me.

Hotel Crocini is a five-star place for value. It’s 5 stars for service, 5 for cleanliness, 5 for helpfulness. But this is all a function of the price per room. Don’t expect the St Regis (down the street). It is a simple, clean place.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Dave C
crocini, Proprietario at Hotel Crocini, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Dave C
thank you very much for your nice review and thank you for your preference, a one week stay is very rare in Florence and it has been a pleasure to have you here.
I really want to hope that people booking at the small family run Crocini are not expecting the St. Regis... for 1/10th of the rate of the St. Regis... anyway thank you for emphasizing this particular ;)
I hope to see you again next year :)

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This review is a long overdue, as my Italy trip was almost 2 months ago.

Hotel Crocini certainly spoiled me for the rest of my time in Italy. It's hard to find anything to even nitpick about.

First of all, Lorenzo is not only one of the most accommodating people I've met, but also a wealth of knowledge, not just for Florence, but for Italy as a whole. Don't hesitate to ask him anything! This accommodating property seems to be a common factor in this hotel, as the lady at the breakfast room and the night shift guy (I didn't catch their names, sadly), were just as open to us.

The rooms were quite spacious with high ceilings, giving us an open feel. And with the hotel being on a quiet strip, it was undoubtedly one of the most restful places to recharge before heading out the next day.

The breakfast was nothing to sneeze at, either. Good variety of things to eat.

Location wise, it's close to everything. But what isn't close by in Florence? :)

I've been to a number of hotels, and I'm finding it difficult to think of a place where I better enjoyed my stay than here.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank paikj
crocini, Proprietario at Hotel Crocini, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear paikj,
thank you so much for your review, I'm here reading it with the whole staff: Silvia (My sister, breakfast room) and Eddie (The night Concierge) would like to thank you very much too.
Everybody is really happy to read that we matched your expectations :)
We hope to see you again very soon at the Crocini!

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We loved this place. It was such a friendly family run place. How the reception guy manages to be so helpful and friendly all day I do not know.

They can recommend places to eat either in or out of tourist areas. Nothing was too much trouble. We had a room with a courtyard view so it was lovely and peaceful with a fresh green view outside.

We got bitten by mosquitos and were a bit surprised because we hadn't expected that in April and hadn't come prepared. However, the room came with the mozzie gadgets (look in the drawers) to get rid of them so all good in the end :0)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank BoomerangChild
crocini, Proprietario at Hotel Crocini, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear BoomerangChild,
thank you very much for your feedback!
How can I manage to be helpful and friendly all day?? Easy... I LOVE MY JOB ;)
And I love reading reviews like yours, that makes me even more happy with it.
I hope I'll meet you again in the amazing Florence very soon..

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Located 20 minutes walk from the center of Florence in a residential area, the key to this place is its central courtyard. Get a room with a courtyard window and you will wake up to the sound of birds singing. No traffic or human noise. Comfortable room, very good breakfast, helpful front desk staff particularly Gabriel (afternoon shift) who speaks excellent English and was beyond helpful. We had competitive rates. Would return here again.

Room Tip: There were mosquitoes but if you do a "wall check" before bedtime you will be OK.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Travellerlikeyou

Dear Travellerlikeyou,
thank you very much for your feedback! We have 20 rooms in total, 14 are facing the courtyard and you're right, these are very very quiet.
Can you believe that a couple of months ago I had an old canadian lady that complained a lot because of the birds singing in the morning?? First time in 16 years here at the Crocini...
It's a jungle out there ;)