“Actually Nov 2008, but BEST youth hostel ever!”
Review of Dany House

Dany House
Ranked #303 of 659 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 12, 2010

I stayed at the Dany House 2 years ago and wanted to write a review and kept forgetting or didn't know where to make one! But it was a great enough experience to still write about 2 years later, so that ought to tell you something right there! :D

Anyways, yes, wonderful place for young broke travelers! I met people from all over the world and we had a phenomenal welcome with box wine and amazing company! I learned so much from fellow travelers and the staff. My trip to Florence was truly enriched by staying at this hostel, honestly!

I believe we bought 1 or 2 nights and ended up staying another because we really enjoyed it there! The Dany House (when I was there) was family-owned or at least a small privately-owned place, with amazing and conversational staff!

Unfortunately, the only picture I have of the Dany House was of their awesome and adorable puppy who hung out with us the whole time [see picture]! I was too busy having a ball, I forgot to take pictures! ;P

My only warning is that when you FIRST get there, it's kind of sketchy because it's on the second floor of an old semi-odd building you have to ring the doorbell to and have someone come down and lead you up LOL. But trust me, after the initial awkwardness, you'll have a blast!

As I recall, we chose this spot because it was cheap (aka, we could afford it! LOL) and it's not too far from attractions, but either way, HIGHLY recommend this hostel! I have yet to experience a better hostel than Dany House!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 30, 2009

not a huge nor fancy place, but there's dinner parties as well as eggs fried on order in the morning, and there's lots of personal presence from the keeper

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 21, 2009

The first thing that happened when we arrived was that we were welcomed by the owner, a nice and funny, older man. He showed us our room, the bathroom and the kitchen - and then he poured us wine. It was hospitality from the first moment!

Great location, a 15 min walk to downtown Firenze. Perfect!

At nights the old ladies, or Federico himself, served us wine and cookies.
They also made free, delicious dinner for us one night! With wine, ofcourse.
It was like staying at home - they cared for you and made sure that you were having a good time.

Also, free internet. That's a plus!

The only downside that I can see is that there was only one bathroom, which often resulted in a cue for the toilet and the shower in the mornings.

Federico is also a master at playing the piano, and since there is a piano in the livingroom you might be so lucky that he plays a song or two for you!
They also have the cutest and nicest black dog, chillin' on the floor or in the couch.

Cozy, cozy, cozy!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 28, 2009

Special Offer for May....Are you travelling with your buddies? Book 2 people 2 nights and the 3rd night is free.This offer is only valid when staying with us in May.

we stayed 2 nights the third night , he was saying that this offered is now not available and we couldnt stay...we even showed him the email we had send confirming the third night was free and them saying thats fine...we argued over this , and he said if we dont leave hell call the police...all this after my girlfriend needed emergency treatment in a hospital in florence....DO NOT STAY HERE.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2008

We booked a double room for two nights. We arrived to find the stand in owner sleeping on the dirty couch. We were then shown to our room which was the staff room they had given up for our use and were told that the staffs clothes etc were still in there and they would need access. The room had no door and no lock.
Against our better judgment we stayed the first night to find the noise level unbearable. There were people coming and going until 5am and some people were sleeping in the hall and the kitchen.
We asked for our money back for the next night and after some haggling we were given 30 euros (about half what we had paid for the night) We were told that they had changed and no longer took double bookings but were trying to accommodate people who had already booked. Seriously this is a student squat. Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2008

Dany House is the first hostel I had ever stayed in. I was concerned about what this experience would be like until I arrived and saw how clean and nice this hostel is. The atmosphere makes you feel as though you have come home. The owner is wonderfully gifted at hospitality. The evening I arrived I enjoyed pasta with the other guests. There we were from many different corners of the earth - all talking and having a wonderful time. This hostel is a great place to stay. It is especially good for young singles who are traveling Europe on a budget. - Kansas City, MO

• Stayed: August 2008
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed April 20, 2008

Owner is a non stop smoker. No breakfast was given although it was included in the price. We were a group of six people and had to share one bathroom with the rude owner, who kept knocking on the door while we were in the shower.

It was the most awful B & B I have stayed in and would not recommend it!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business