“Great accommodations, meet new friends” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dany House

Dany House
Ranked #307 of 653 Florence B&B and Inns
Fort Myers, Florida
“Great accommodations, meet new friends”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

What a grand experience this was. The beds were comfortable, help wonderful, and wine reception each night in the commons room was a great opportunity to meet the other travelers from all over the world! It was convienient to walk to all the attractions and the help was wonderful about giving directions and suggestions. My traveling budy, Cheri and I would absolutely stay there again if back in Florence.

Room Tip: We started in a 6 mixed room which was fine then transfered to the two private. 6-room had a privat...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sherri N

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Florence, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

if you are going to stay anywere in Florence it must be Dany House. You wont receive treatment like you do at Dany house even in a 5 star hotel. Free breakfast everyday and even better free wine and snacks every night. Jonathon, Ella and Clifford go above and beyond to give you the best possible service. I would live at Dany house if i didnt have to go home. You will meet the most amazing people in this Hostel and you really do feel like you have become part of a family. best hostel!!!

Room Tip: the 6 bed dorm has a private bathroom but other than that all rooms are fantastic.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Ottawa, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2011

I've stayed here for three nights on my own, in a double room. Generally, in most hostels rooms that small are kept "private" and you must buy both beds to gain access to it. Having the option here of sharing a room with only one more person was a good bonus as I had been sleeping in dorms for a while.

The entrance of the hostel is a bit tricky to find and looks very sketchy and smells a bit muggy. You must make your way to the first floor to find the reception. Right away, I thought I had the wrong place as it feels and looks although you are entering someone's private apartment, but Jonathan, the guy who runs the place made me feel at ease right away.

He sat down with me , took payments, offered me wine/siftdrinks and brought out some chips and went thru the map of the city showing me what I should see, how much it cost, where to eat, etc. He also gives you a business card so u cam call him on his cell phone if you lost/have questions when you're away.

It is situated just outside the old city walls, which is not the most central location in town but since Pisa is so small, it really doesnt
matter and you can walk everywhere.

Included Breakfast is coffee with cereals and served at 9am every morning. It would be nice to have a bit more selection in choices (pastries, fruits...) and have a wider time frame to eat breakfast in the future but i guess this is better than nothing. Jonathan also provides free red wine every night at 9pm as well as chips which is great socially.

The hostel only has three rooms so you get to know people quite fast and sort of become a little family.

There is one computer to share and free wifi thruout (worked great). There is only two toilets/showers to share between everyone (20 people) so you may have to wait at times.

No kitchen (just a fridge/microwave) no lockers, no laundry.

• Stayed September 2011
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2010

I stayed at the Dany House 2 years ago and wanted to write a review and kept forgetting or didn't know where to make one! But it was a great enough experience to still write about 2 years later, so that ought to tell you something right there! :D

Anyways, yes, wonderful place for young broke travelers! I met people from all over the world and we had a phenomenal welcome with box wine and amazing company! I learned so much from fellow travelers and the staff. My trip to Florence was truly enriched by staying at this hostel, honestly!

I believe we bought 1 or 2 nights and ended up staying another because we really enjoyed it there! The Dany House (when I was there) was family-owned or at least a small privately-owned place, with amazing and conversational staff!

Unfortunately, the only picture I have of the Dany House was of their awesome and adorable puppy who hung out with us the whole time [see picture]! I was too busy having a ball, I forgot to take pictures! ;P

My only warning is that when you FIRST get there, it's kind of sketchy because it's on the second floor of an old semi-odd building you have to ring the doorbell to and have someone come down and lead you up LOL. But trust me, after the initial awkwardness, you'll have a blast!

As I recall, we chose this spot because it was cheap (aka, we could afford it! LOL) and it's not too far from attractions, but either way, HIGHLY recommend this hostel! I have yet to experience a better hostel than Dany House!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
hamburg, germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2009

not a huge nor fancy place, but there's dinner parties as well as eggs fried on order in the morning, and there's lots of personal presence from the keeper

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2009

The first thing that happened when we arrived was that we were welcomed by the owner, a nice and funny, older man. He showed us our room, the bathroom and the kitchen - and then he poured us wine. It was hospitality from the first moment!

Great location, a 15 min walk to downtown Firenze. Perfect!

At nights the old ladies, or Federico himself, served us wine and cookies.
They also made free, delicious dinner for us one night! With wine, ofcourse.
It was like staying at home - they cared for you and made sure that you were having a good time.

Also, free internet. That's a plus!

The only downside that I can see is that there was only one bathroom, which often resulted in a cue for the toilet and the shower in the mornings.

Federico is also a master at playing the piano, and since there is a piano in the livingroom you might be so lucky that he plays a song or two for you!
They also have the cutest and nicest black dog, chillin' on the floor or in the couch.

Cozy, cozy, cozy!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Madrid
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2009

Special Offer for May....Are you travelling with your buddies? Book 2 people 2 nights and the 3rd night is free.This offer is only valid when staying with us in May.

we stayed 2 nights the third night , he was saying that this offered is now not available and we couldnt stay...we even showed him the email we had send confirming the third night was free and them saying thats fine...we argued over this , and he said if we dont leave hell call the police...all this after my girlfriend needed emergency treatment in a hospital in florence....DO NOT STAY HERE.

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple