“A very pleasant surprise”
Review of Arco Antico B&B

and 1 more site!
Arco Antico B&B
Ranked #119 of 641 Florence B&B and Inns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“A very pleasant surprise”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I stayed at the Arco Antico B&B for two nights in August 2013. I chose the property because it is a 5 minute walk from Santa Maria Novella train station and also because of the great reviews it has received. I was not disappointed.

Unfortunately (or perhaps, fortunately) your first experience of the B&B will not be your best one. It is located on the third floor of the building - you gain access by pressing the door buzzer which will open the door into the stairwell. Unfortunately this is a little dark and seedy and the lift to the third floor is tiny. At best it will take one person and one bag.

But everything changes when you enter the B&B! The owner, Matteo, will greet you and help you with your bags, check you in etc.

The 6 room property has been renovated beautifully and offers a standard of comfort way above its rating. I was travelling alone so had a single room, but even this was quite spacious by Italian standards, with a king single bed, a good sized wardrobe with a mini safe, a desk and a flat screen TV.The bathroom was small but had modern fittings and was spotlessly clean and included a reasonable range of toiletries. The air-conditioning worked perfectly - essential in August!

My only slight gripe would be that the bed was a little springy though that didn't stop me getting a good night's sleep.

Breakfast was included and was taken in the charming breakfast room. The continental breakfast selection was excellent - juice, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, bread, cold meats, cheese. There was a machine which made excellent coffee. A small point - but the quality of the crockery, cutlery, glasses etc was first rate, really leaving a good impression, One other thing I liked was that you could help yourself to tea and coffee at any time during the day.

The WiFi internet was free and the service was good and reliable.

The B&B is a 5 minute walk from Santa Maria Novella train station and also within walking distance of the centre of Florence where all the attractions are. There are also many restaurants within walking distance of the B&B.

I felt very comfortable here and Matteo does a great job in running the B&B and helping with guests' needs. This is a 2 star property that offers a 5 star service.

Would I stay here again? Yes, yes, yes

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The owner, Matteo, was very pleasant and helpful, from when I emailed him before leaving home to when he greeted me upon my arrival to Florence. After buzzing me in, he leaped down the stairs to help me with my suitcase and the elevator, and made me some tea in the breakfast room while my room was just finishing off being prepared. The room was lovely and bright, though the bathroom was a tad small, and was cleaned immaculately every day. Matteo was also very helpful in providing a free map of Florence and circling places of interest, including a good vantage point for the San Giovanni Battista festival fireworks! He speaks English very well, making it useful when my Italian failed me! One word of advice - just be aware that the street address follows the BLACK street numbers. The street is in fact numbered twice, and I accidentally went to red 107 and had to call Matteo, who cleared up my mistake!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
St.Petersburg
Reviewed May 7, 2013

A nice little b&b, within a walking distance from the train station and at the same time pretty close to city center. It's just enough for a short comfortable stay in Florence. The breakfast is pretty simple, but fresh and tasty. The owner is very welcoming and pleasant. WiFi is free and stable.
The shower cabin is quite small, and so is the elevator as the building is quite old. But that's hardly a problem.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My mother, grandmother, and I took a trip to Venice, Austria, and Florence over the summer. There were no tour guides, no packages, and very little resources for us to use. Trip advisor was our go-to when choosing places to stay, but really, we may as well have been blind going into this.

Florence was our last place, and we chose Arco Antico partly because of the positive reviews and partly because of it's closeness to the train station. It was maybe a 3 minute walk to the station. It is a little hard to find, but located in such a great place. There is a lift, which helped for my grandmother, but the stairs were not bad at all.

The people that run this place are so incredible! Throughout our entire trip, we found that nice, helpful people were few and far between. Their hospitality alone made this the most pleasant destination of our trip. The breakfast was so delicious, with assorted meats and cheeses, freshly baked goods, and an impressive coffee/espresso machine.

Do yourself a favor and stay here! They are more helpful than you can imagine, and so very welcoming.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stayed the one night at an internet rate booked on the day. Location was great for the train station. Our host was very helpful, booking us in to the Accademia the next morning so we wouldn't have to queue for David. Room was nicely appointed and clean. Breakfast was continental and quite acceptable. The compact elevator was quaint, I just wanted to keep riding in it. Something different.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed June 30, 2012

So close to everything and our Host Mateo was the best.... Very clean large room with amenities. You can't go wrong if you want value for money. A small ( and I mean small ) lift up to the 3rd floor. You almost need to be in front of the B + B to see the sign...but once you are up in your room you should be pleased.
Mateo speaks great English..so no trouble there
Enjoy your stay, we would certainly go back
John + Rosanne New Zealand

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Very easy to get to from Firenze S.M.N Station. When you arrive at the B & B it's a little daunting, but just press the buzzer, either walk up the narrow stairs or jump in the one man lift (my hubby squished in, but not with luggage!) go to the third floor. Matteo is the owner/manager, he is very helpful. They provide breakfast (not very filling and no variety though) . We loved that the windows in the room opened up to let fresh air in. Our bed was a little springy. The bedroom was huge but the bathroom was very tiny. They have free wifi that was the best I had out of 15 different hotels in Europe.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 1, we were happy with our room, bed was a little springy though.