“Change of owner”

Ranked #518 of 642 Florence B&B and Inns
uk
“Change of owner”
Reviewed May 8, 2008

This tiny B&B has recently been bought by a very budget hotel around 5 minutes walk away, where you have to check in. I was lucky and had an email from the new owners before I went, but I came across a couple from South Africa on the doorstep trying to gain access and they had no idea about the changes, least of all where to check in.

The B&B itself is very well located and the rooms facing the back are truly peaceful (until the bells in the adjacent church start at 7a.m!) Breakfast is supplied either in your room or in the small kitchen area. It is very basic – small coffee, watery juice and a couple of tiny buns – and you can do better in a local café or patisserie. The main difficulty is that they do not start serving until 8.15am and are not flexible on this at all. This was no good for me, as I like to be up and about by 8, especially when many of the very popular galleries and museums open their doors at 8.15 and an early bird beats the queues.

I also had a problem with my reservation in that I was given the only room with no ensuite bathroom, despite having specifically asked for one on booking. Imagine the scene – need to get up in the night, have to get dressed, go to the loo, back to room, undress, get back into bed –I would not subject anyone to the sight of me trundling around with nothing on in the middle of the night! I was most unhappy with a bathroom down the corridor, rather than in the room, but my concerns were met with a shrug and I was told it was the previous owners fault and nothing could be done about it. In other words – tough! After another grumble from me, the guy on reception said he would see what could be done, maybe a discount, and he would leave a note under my door to let me know what was what. I was still waiting at the end of my stay! On check out, I repeated this conversation to another guy who kindly offered me free breakfasts – which I hadn’t had!

So overall, whilst the location of the B&B cannot be faulted and it is a homely little place, the administration leaves a huge amount to be desired.

• Liked — Its location
  • Disliked — The new management's couldn't care less attitude
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
london uk
Reviewed April 2, 2008

This place was everything a budget B&B should be: spotlessly clean, comfortable but basic, and incredibly well located. Not luxurious by any means - but cheery, colourful, clean, and with a good breakfast. We are a couple in our 20s but I'd recommend it to anyone! The view from our room of the piazza was wonderful, we could see everything going on outside, but when we closed the shutters it was peaceful and silent. I loved it here.

• Liked — The spotlessly clean rooms and bathroom.
  • Disliked — Nothing was bad really, although the lift in the building was a little scary for someone used to modern lifts!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ohio
Reviewed May 30, 2007

Just returned from a four night stay at the San Lorenzo B&B. All in all it is a good place to stay in a great location. It could use some simple upgrades though. The biggest problem we had was that there is no phone in the B&B and the pay phone outside does not always work. On our last night we had to depart very early in the morning and were unable to use the phone in the square, even though it had been working the night before. We had to hike to train station in the rain and try to flag down a taxi at 5:20 am ( it was not easy). It then occurred to me that if there had been an emergency in the hotel we would not have had anyway of getting help. The owners do not stay in the unit at night, so we would have been on our own. I completely understand that it could be a problem to a have phone that guest could take advantage of, but if hotels can offer a phone with a charge so could the SL B&B. Overall the place is in a great location and in good condition.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of a Phone
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Galway
Reviewed December 2, 2006

This B&B was a great find. The location is fantastic, the Duomo and David are very close by, and great shopping and restaurants, the Uffizi and other cultural areas of interest are also only a short walk away. There is no noise at all at night time which is a great bonus. The rooms are absolutely gorgeous, great attention to detail. We were very comfortable and loved our stay. Breakfast in the morning was lovely and you could help yourself to tea/coffee, yoghurt or juice during the day aswell which was handy. We are very fussy with our accommodation! but this place was second to none and we would recommend it to everyone.

• Liked — The gorgeous rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — dine at The Yellow Bar- it is fantastic!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank travelling101
Moscow
Reviewed September 24, 2006

First of all, we were impressed by Katharina's (the owner) taste in decorating rooms and common area. We stayed 3 nights in the green room and every element of the room made me feel like home: ethnic night lamps, green towels, paintings (which we liked to discuss with my husband and even made stories of them), cactuses, wooden elephant on my bed table and candies, even the box for tissues! There are also lilac, orange and pink rooms - each with its own style. Plus everything is clean. The quality of breakfast was better than you would expect from B&B: good fresh bread & pastries, Philadelphia cheese, huge cups of cappuccino! And morning music! It was great to listen to classic opera, drink morning coffee and stare on piazza de San Lorenzo from the B&B’s window. There was an option to use kitchen facilities (fridge, stove, plates & kettle) to cook anything you wish (in case this mad idea ever crosses your mind in Italy ). Very nice and cozy place & great location – I don’t have any reason to look for something else in Florence. We’ll definitely come back.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank GinJha
Saint Petersbur, Florida
Reviewed May 15, 2006

Lovely place, with a great location. Great cappucino and blood orange- orange juice!! The Piazza (not the B & B) San Lorenzo was pretty dirty, as was Florence, in general (Venice was spotless and Rome, except for the graffiti, was fairly clean.) However, seeing the David is worth it, so, if Florence is your destination, the San Lorenzo B& B is a nice place to hang one's hat.

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank BethandAl31
New York City, NY
Reviewed September 28, 2005

We just returned from a wedding in Tuscany and stayed at the wonderful and quaint B&B San Lorenzo. Most of the wedding guests were stuck in an Americanized hotel far from the center and we were glad to be steps away from the Duomo. The B&B is snall with only four rooms and a little kitchen/dining room that overlooks San Lorenzo piazza. As you sip your latte or espresso in the morning you can watch the entire piazza come to life. The rooms were very colorful and well decorated. All of the rooms had air conditioning but the breeze from the windows was enough to cool us off. We did eventualy use the A/C because of the misquitos at night. The bathroom was small but very clean with nice facilities. Noel, the son of the innkeeper was very informative and was always around to assist us in anything we needed. For 90 Euros a night, this was an ideally located and very comfortable place to stay in Florence.

• Stayed September 2005