“A great place to stay in Florence”

Ridolfi Guest House
Ranked #109 of 675 Florence B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A great place to stay in Florence”
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Ridolphi Guest House for 3 nights in August and all aspects about my stay exceeded my expectations. Our host Eliseo was very friendly and always willing to help with any questions I had. The room and bathroom were spotless, beds were made every day and the breakfast was excellent with the added bonus of being served in my room when I wanted. The Ridolphi will definitely be my first choice for my next stay in Florence.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and loved it! Out host, Eliseo, was most helpful and kind. The room was beautifully decorated, clean and it felt like home. The breakfast was great and best of all, served in our room every morning. We had a great stay and are telling everyone we know about it ;-)

• Stayed August 2013
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Rooms are expensive in Italy but this property was a good deal. It was an easy 10 minute walk down Via Nazionale from the Santa Maria Novella train station (although the sidewalks are narrow!). It is also only a 5 minute walk from the Mercato Centrale (amazing, affordable food!) where you walk through the street market stalls hawking magnets and leather bags etc. It is on an upper floor and you don't get the key for the elevator until you check in, so my suggestion would be to send your travel partner up to get it and you stay with the bags (unless you are traveling very light). The front entry is dark and "sketchy-looking" but it was clean and I never saw another person in the entire building (I was traveling with my teenage daughter). Upon arrival we were greeted by a very smiley Malena who showed us to a huge room with a double bed, single bed, large sunny window, a fridge, small table and chairs and modern, updated bathroom. The wall art was also unique. Impressive. She gave us a great map with all the sights and suggested walks highlighted onto it. Awesome! The breakfast served to your room (seriously!) was delicious as well (basket of freshly delivered pastries, yoghurts, spreads, juice and a hot pot of coffee or tea). My only complaint about the breakfast is it was not available until 8am (which is rather late for travelers) and it wasn't actually ready until 8:10-8:15 as Malena wasn't in the kitchen until 8am exactly. We ended up missing most of one breakfast due to this delayed timing. My rating is only Average and not Very Good for two reasons: 1. As a result of the power problems they were having. It went out at 8am one morning and wasn't back on until the afternoon. Malena was nowhere to be found to inquire/ask for assistance (and if there were "office hours" they were not posted anywhere). It also flickered off at 10pm, but came back on quickly. and 2. The room we were in, while large and airy, was very noisy and challenging to sleep in. Even with earplugs the road noise, and people coming back to the guest house late and slamming the door, was disturbing. But perhaps the worst disturbance was the lack of window covering. With no blind on the window the room was flooded bright early morning light (nice fore awake time but frustrating if you are trying to get a few more minutes shut-eye). Recommendations to improve rating? Contact guests ahead of time to tell them about avoiding lugging their luggage up the stairs, post clear desk hours, start breakfast at 7:30am and put blinds on the windows. Despite these criticisms, I would stay here again. Clean, spacious, friendly and conveniently located.

Room Tip: Some rooms are shared bathroom. Ask if is important to you to have a private one. I don't think...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank iTravel9999
Ridolfi_Guest_House, Proprietario at Ridolfi Guest House, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear iTravel67
Thank you for the time you dedicated to commentating our establishment.

I am pleased that you were content with the efforts our staff made in trying
to satisfy all your needs.

I was surprised to read that you had difficulty in using the lift on your arrival.
The lift works with a key which we insert on the arrival of all new guests, so that
they simply have to push a button to open the lift doors.On check-in, keys are
given to our guests so that they can use them freely. You probably didn't realise
on arrival, that you simply had to call the lift without using a key.

I'm sorry that you weren't able to have breakfast beacause of time restrictions.
I confirm that this service is available from 8a.m. onwards but we try to help our
guests with any special requests they may have. We often leave breakfast directly
in the rooms or even try to arrive earlier when possible.
I'm sure that Manuela would have done her very best to help you , had you asked.

I apologise for the 15min delay on 24July; this was due to an electrical fault which was
quickly risolved and you were promptly informed
I'd like to emphasise that we are a family run guest house and as such do not
have a 24h reception.

Our staff are present every day from 8a.m. till 13.30, when arrangements are made previously,
our guests may check-in in the afternoon. Manuela doesn't live on the premises and that evening
she was there for work purposes.

As for the problem with the windows,I'd like to inform you that they have been recently replaced
so as to limit the noise from the road. I'm sorry that you didn't notice the outside shutters.

Hoping that you will be among our guests again soon and that I will be able to meet you personally,
I also feel the need to emphasize, particularly for those who may read your comments, that our
establishment does not have shared bathrooms. Infact we have 5 rooms, 3 are en-suite and have recently been renovated; you actually stayed in one of these. The other two rooms have a private bathroom each, for exclusive use , and these are next door to the bedrooms.
Very best wishes,
Eliseo
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the B&B for one night before traveling back to Switzerland by train. The location is good, close enough to the station, but I felt it long when I was walking to the station with two suite cases in the sizzling weather more than 35C degree with my 5 year old son.

I loved how the room is decorated and the breakfast served to our room. I chose this B&B, comparing with others with the same price and the location, for the air conditioner and am glad I did so because it was seriously HOT when I stayed in Firenze.

The owner was not there, but he was reachable by phone and email to support us. His family(?) staff was very kind and helpful.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed in the Ridolfi Guesthouse for a weekend in July. The location is good. It is only a 5 to 10 minute walk to the markets and Duomo. The owner was very nice and provided us with wonderful suggestions for restaurants and sightseeing. The room is nicely decorated, very clean and has a high ceiling. We had a nice bathroom. Everything was very well maintained.
The breakfast is good, although I would have liked some fruit with it.
I would recommend this place to everyone!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MyCarolineW
Turku, Finland
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Eliseo (our host) made us feel very welcome and was all smiles all the time. He gave us excellent tips on local restaurants and sights to be seen. The room was nicely decorated and very spacious, the bathroom modern and clean. Eliseo prepared a very nice sweet breakfast with good espresso and cappuccino each morning. Excellent place to stay when you visit Florence, I recommend it to everyone.

When you consider the price, I would give the Ridolfi Guest House a 100 points out of a 100!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lillifin
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The Ridolfi guest house is located within about 7 minutes to where sightseeing basically begins. Keep in mind, that it's not easy to find as other reviewers have mentioned. No sign on the door, just a button with the name on it, on a buzzer in a nondescript building located on Via Cosimo (small local park is at the corner) with big wooden doors and huge brass door knobs. Not easy to find when you are tired, hauling luggage and walking on a toasty day. It's also on the last floor, but we all managed to fit into the tiny elevator. (It's amazing what fatigue can make you do.) Alessio's warmth and helpfulness more than made up for everything. He was more than willing to answer our 'touristy' questions and had a great sense of humor. Breakfast was okay and was included in the room. It was nice to not have to leave the room in the morning, but would have preferred more variety. Fatima was also very nice in cleaning our rooms and making certain that we had everything we needed to be comfortable during our stay. Would recommend!

Room Tip: Back corner suite was large and included a newly renovated bathroom.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family