“top marks for location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #244 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“top marks for location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

this is our second visit to The tourist house- Florence mainly because of its location. Situated near the train station and within walking distance to all the major attractions . It is very basic but clean the rooms are large which is more than can be said for the breakfast room, if more than four people want breakfast at the same time - it is a tight fit! but not a meal to linger over with so much to see. The breakfast consists of a roll and coffee.
The only problem is there is nowhere to sit other than your room and if the weather is bad ( as it was for us ) there is only so much walking in the rain you can cope with in a day!
There are no tea or coffee making facilities in the rooms
Overall you get what you pay for a reasonably priced central room at an affordable price.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank sue12345678

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I was on a solo four week trip over northern Italy and Florence was my second stop. The hotel was 5 minutes walk from the train station and at least 5 minutes to the closest tourist spot (Duomo and Arno River are just 5 minutes walk). Lots of restaurants, coffee shops, pizzerias, convenience stores in the area. Location is great. Small room with a big comfortable bed. TV and fridge worked. Usual small toilet and bath. Room with free wifi and it was cleaned everyday. What was annoying was the unfriendly lady receptionist (she looked politically healthy) - I shower 2 times a day even in winter and the bathroom only had one big towel - the classic thin Italian style towel. So I asked for a second towel which I said I need everyday. I used the word "if possible" and she said for the price I paid, which was 37 euros per day and I stayed 6 nights, I got a bargain and should not ask for a second towel and that they are not a hotel and do not have 24 hour service. I said to her "if possible" and she repeated that my room was already cheap why should I ask for a second towel as it will cost them extra to wash the towel. This woman had the audacity to say that to me and I said that it is not my fault that I got the room for a cheap price. This was my 4th visit to Florence and the first time that such bad customer service was displayed to me here in this city. In my experience travelling the world and having visited Italy for at least 10 times in the past since 1985, I classify Italians with a low sense of customer service. My experience with Tourist House is ranked among the lowest Italian customer service I have experienced. I did get a second towel everyday for 6 days. The hotel location is great but I will not stay here because this hotel does not understand customer service. I know the Italian attitude is I do not care as there are millions of tourists who will replace you - my response is, well I have the money and I will not do business with you. I recommend this hotel if you do not need a second towel.

Room Tip: Do not ask for a second towel as the lady receptionist is rude and does not have customer service.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank juanmanuelrodriguez

Travelers are raving about these Florence hotels

Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night on the second leg of our trip. Located close to the train station. Within walking distance to main attractions. The room was very large and clean, although there was a bit of a stuffy smell. Continental breakfast was not that great. Overall, decent hotel for budget price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The hotel is located in an old Toscan building, with double colorful shutters, like you will see many in Florence. It is 5 min. away from the train station and 10 minutes walk from most sites (Accademia, Uffizi, Duomo) which is very convenient for visiting all day long. It has free Wi-Fi. The room was clean and staff nice, when leaving we could leave our luggages all day. Towels provided are so thin that they are more like sheets (they are replaced everyday, though). There is no breakfast but they recommend you go to the café nearby, where the waiter was obnoxious and food so-o, I advise you eat a paninoand a cappuccino somewhere else. Definetely not a romantic place but a honest option for the price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Arale N
Bundaberg, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This is not a "Bells and Whistles" hotel. Rather it provides neat, basic accommodation in a very central location. The rooms are of a reasonable side and quite comfortable. Although a jug/kettle would have been appreciated.
Staff are very helpful and run through the basics of the room.
Continental breakfast is included from 7am at the downstairs eatery.
Easy walk to station and town centre.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JeriatricJypsy
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I brought a group of US university students to Florence for a few nights, and we stayed at this hotel. I am staying on for a couple more nights after they've gone, and I couldn't be happier to be here. This is not a hotel where you can call the desk and have someone come fluff your pillows. But it's charming, the rooms are lovely (mine is huge, with four-poster bed, writing desk and large wardrobe, plus a nice bathroom), and the staff could not be nicer. We let them know in advance that I need an extra-firm bed (back trouble), and they actually found a board and put it under the mattress before my arrival. It's a level of kindness I really appreciate.

You take breakfast (free) in the bar next door (Americans: for bar, read "cafe"), which also serves meals. A colleague commented that he had a very nice dinner there. My room also has AC, a ceiling fan, TV and a fridge. Not all the rooms have internet access, though you can get it in the hallway. If that's important to you, ask for a room on the hallway. I never had trouble with the signal. They keep the bedroom and bathroom immaculate, and well stocked with soap, shampoo and towels.

The only negative thing I can say is something the hotel cannot control: There is occasionally noise from the patio area of an adjacent hotel. But I've only heard it once or twice, and it didn't last long.

The location is great: Very close to the train station, but the neighborhood does not feel at all seedy. A 5-10 minute walk will bring you to the duomo. I will certainly stay here again next time I'm in Florence!

Room Tip: The room I described is #6.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Pitchford0209
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

I travelled throughout Italy with my daughter using primarily rail as our main transportation. This guest house was fairly reasonably priced, and approximately 600-700 meters from the train station which is good because we typically have a heavy pack to carry. We walked to the accomodation easily, although, it was not the easiest to find. There are no lifts, so if your mobility is challenged, beware that there is a fairly long flight of stairs up to the rooms from streetside.

We arrived and had a hard time locating someone to check in. I believe they must be responsible for rooms, etc as well while they are on shift. It was fine, amd we were offered a large room with a comfortable bed, desk, and lobelia window that opened to a courtyard. There was also air conditioning which was welcome in the heat of the summer. Our room had a small fridge for drinks, cheese, etc. this guesthouse did not offer food of any kind, so the fridge was good to have.

The bathroom was very small, but it was clean and functional.

As this accomodation was in an apartment building, there was no reception at night after 7pm, and so, you needed to make sure you had your keys at all times so you would not be locked out at night.

There was free wifi, however, it did not work in the rooms. It only worked in one of the common areas of the hallway near reception.

This place is within walking distance to all of the areas you would want to see and explore Florence. We were ale to get around on foot quite easily.

For food, there were many cages and eateries on the streetside below the accomodation, amd there is a good supermarket underneath the one side of the train station to stock up on fruit, drinks, snacks.

Lastly, being that the train station was so handy, we were able to pack a small day pack and take a day trip by train to Pisa and return in the early evening. That was easy and reasonably priced from there.

A basic, no frills clean place to stay. It was safe, and I would recommend it for a quiet, budget friendly rest while moving by train through Italy.

• Stayed July 2012