“What a disaster No air and including a scorpion in our room.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Villa Ulivi Dimora Storica

Villa Ulivi Dimora Storica
Ranked #592 of 653 Florence B&B and Inns
Hollywood, Florida
“What a disaster No air and including a scorpion in our room.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

Our stay of 4 nights was a disaster. It was extremely hot and despite having an air conditioner in the room it did not work and we were advised that nothing could be done about it. Our family of 4 did not sleep at all for our 4 niight stay.
The villa could be promising, but it is clearly evident that the owner or operator is trying to minimize costs to such a large extent, that they actually ruin the guest experience. Apart from the air conditioner which did not work, the tap/faucet in the bathroom dripped continually and the shower took ages to drain. We woke up one morning to find a live scorpion inside the room, close to where my young son was sleeping. Being accommodated in unbearable heat, we attempted to open the windows to allow cooler night air into the rooms, but because the insect screens were torn or not secured, opening these just allowed hundreds of Mosquitos into the rooms. A lose- lose situation. We were in a room with access from the outside which denied us access to the lobby/ guest lounge after 8 pm at night. As rooms did not have wifi and because the lobby which does have wifi is locked at 8pm, I could not do my business at the end of each day. The gardens and landscaping are severely neglected and overground. As a result of our experience we are of the opinion that our room rate was worth 50% less than the €110 we were charged. The right operator with the right budget, good standards and proper amenities could turn this place into a remarkable destination,but sadly I do not see this happening under the present owner.

6 Thank WREFLL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Sarasota, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

This relic was on the trip pac done by American Express....How they can recommend this place is beyond me....First of all, there is no A.C.....and no screens on the windows....There were bed bugs in our room....the place is operated form 7 A.M. to noon, and then there is no one there untill 4P.M. untill 4 P.M........There are no phones in the rooms, no chairs, no dressers, no shower curtins, no, saftey bars in the showers, in the rooms...no waste paper baskets..no t.v., no lights in the hall ways....there is only one very over worked philipino lady, who is as nice as can be....but the owners, a mother and her son are seldom around, and he, is an arrogent person.....The walk to the bus stop is about 125 yards down a gravel road, and then another 150 yards to the bus stop....and the buses, are infrequent, and you have to stand in the sun untill one arrives....if you don't have a car, you'll pay 15 to 18 eros to get in and out of town each way....how this place can hold them selves out as a bed and breakfast, or a hotel, this is false......how any travel agency can suggest this place is beyond me......do not, do not even consider this place.....mosquitos and bed bugs, no air condition, and crude accomidations, if this is your thing, you'll love this place........Jack W.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms , here
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank JACK W

Travelers are raving about these Florence hotels

Rangiora, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

I also wish we had read reviews before booking. Arrived 17/6/12, very hot, advertised with air con, hairdryer, TV, there was none of these. Opened windows, bitten in morning with mosquito bites. My husband wet a towel and put over him as couldnt sleep because room was so hot and stuffy. But the worse was the invasion of our privacy.
The man, (owner) greeted us on our 2nd day at the front door as we arrived back to villa at about 730pm, spoke a couple of words to us and then rushed out to greet new guests arriving. We went up to our room and my husband had just finished showering and I was sitting in armchair with just my underwear on, when I heard voices and someone rattling the room keys to our door (we had not removed them when we let ourselves in). There was no knock, no calling out, just the owner opening our door with his guests behind him. My husband rushed to the door to stop him opening the door further but the owner said he wanted to show his guests our room and bathroon. My husband said no but he insisted on coming in saying it wouldnt take long. I yelled out "No, I am not dressed" and my husband also said a firm no. He finally got the message and left. We went to go downstairs about 15mins later and saw him. I told him how annoyed I was that he had tried taking guests into our room and my husband also said that this was not appropriate behaviour. He said he was sorry but he thought we were out! Did he forget that he had greeted us at the front door prior to this happening? I would also think that if the door keys were in the door, this would indicate that perhaps we were inside the room! Is it not courteous to Knock on a door and wait for the occupant to open it? What sort of business is this? I have never ever experienced anything like it. We had been travelling through Europe for 5 weeks in various types of accomodataion but I have never ever experienced anything like this, we were not treated with respect.
I would expect that the only person entering a room should be the person that is servicing it. However our room was not serviced, towels were not changed, soap etc was not replenished. This behaviour by the owner was disgraceful and untrustworthy and I would not recommend it. Its such a shame as the villa has so much potential

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Glenda W
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

Their website says air con is included. Non of the rooms have air con, the heat was unbearable and we could not sleep. You cannot open windows at Mosquitos will decend on you. I have over a 100 bites. We left early. The owners are not present and the whole place is run by a young philipino lady on her own. Do not have dinner there; it is literally out of a tin/packet and in edible. It has so much potential but the owners are not prepared to invest or listen to guests comments. Most people left early

• Stayed June 2012
6 Thank Sidfeathers
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

The owner and her son - that both still live on the property were very rude and let you know that they DO NOT WANT you there. It is a beautiful home, but they do not want you in it and it is so obvious that the only reason they are doing it is that they need the income. They have an employee a lady named Lee that is so nice and tries to make up for the way they are so inhospitable, but she can only do so much. The driveway to the home is very old and long and it is far to any transportation and not easily accessible. They need to be removed from the availaable properties as they are not an attribute to any recommendations. I would NEVER suggest anyone stay there. Also the house is in need of repair and the grounds are not in good condition - the grass was very high and bugs were bad.

3 Thank Cathy J
Guadalajara, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

I Consider myself a world traveler: I have stayed in many places ranging from top of the line all the way down to converted stables and everything in between. Let me set this straight...money is not the object (without wanting to sound pretentious). The places I choose to stay in are the result of fate, adventure or plain choice. That said, I have to conclude with the following: I chose Via Ulivi and believe the concept of Villa Ulivi has been completely misunderstood by others. First off: It is a Bed and Breakfast; not the Hilton. For those who claim the owner isn't there for you, neither is Paris Hilton when you stay at any Hilton property...please! You get a set of Keys, you are shown around and given the priviledge of sharing somebody's house at a great rate! Try booking a hotel for this price? It is located in a very nice section of Florence and coming and going is not all that complicated once you understand how the bus system operates. The way I see it; In the daytime you wrestle the crowds and at night you come back to peace and quiet. Breakfast is simple...croissants and the basics, like every other bed and breakfast I have ever stayed in. The property is from the fifteen century, but converted to neo 60's if you follow art. Not the Adams, not the Monsters. Its an old property converted to offer a sleep over service. If you want a resort, go to Venice or Sardenia and expect to pay top buck. This place is very layed back. Matteo the owner is very reserved and respectful of everybodies space, but I have to admit, he was on hand to help at all times, as was their lovely Filipino assitant. I wouldn't think for a moment about not staying here again if I were to return to Florence. The place is appreciated and the tranquility as well. Please don't bash this place if you don't understand what it is...it deserves to be appreciated by those who know how to appreciate the nicer things of life, sought after through simplicity and form. P.S.- For those who insist on the shower curtain in the tub...usually when there is a tub without shower curtains, you are supposed to sit in the tub and shower inside. It's quite easy and soothing! Try it, you might even like it...and for sure, you will not make a mess.

Room Tip: Be nice and you will be treated likewise. Be a jerk, you will be avoided but not forgotten. Any ro...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jon Michael B
Nelson, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

My daughter (teenager) and I spent 5 nights here in late May 2012 and enjoyed it very much. A beautiful historic building and grounds, owner and staff person were very pleasant and helpful. The bus was easy to use and quick to the city centre; we found it easy to return "home" for late afternoon and then go out again in the evening. Clean, well maintained, surrounded by olive grove, a beautiful retreat from crowded tourist centre. A computer for use in common area; simple breakfast (including yummy warm croissants). We were very pleased and would recommend highly.
About the bus - take the #25 from Piazza San Marco, get off at stop #6 or 7. Not easy to go for a run as the streets are narrow, no shoulder and drivers are quick! Not a luxury setting but that should be obvious from the price. A shame that others have given negative reviews - I disagree.

Room Tip: We had independent apartment on the back side of the main house; kitchenette, 2 stories, private, lo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Florence
Villa Le Rondini
Santa Maria Novella
Belfiore B&B
Belfiore B&B
#237 of 653 in Florence

Been to Villa Ulivi Dimora Storica? Share your experiences!