“Very spacious and convenient to train station”

Residence La Contessina
Ranked #55 of 421 Hotels in Florence
GreenLeadersBronze level
Jacksonville, FL
“Very spacious and convenient to train station”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2009

This 3 level apartment was very clean and spacious. As you walk into the apartment into the foyer area there was the bathroom to your right. Then there was a 4 to 5 steps stair to get to the next level, which is where your living room with a pull out sofa bed and the kitchen. If you use the kitchen, there will be an additional charge, which I think was 25 euro per night. We did not use it except the refrigerator. The upper level is what I call a loft that is where the bedroom is located. There is a computer in the apartment, but I believe there is a charge to use the internet. We only use it to charge our iPod and camera since I only brought one electricity converter adapter. So, it was very convenient to charge multiple devices. There was supposed to be a safe, which I did not find until my last day. I would have asked, but I did not need it. The safe is located behind one of the pictures hanging on the wall. My only complaint is that the shower was very small even for a small person like me.

This place was very convenient to the train station and not too far from all the attractions and there were plenty of restaurant and shops. One of the reasons we picked this place was because it was so close to the train station since we wanted to visit Pisa and we arrived by train from Rome. So, it was very convenient. We were provided with breakfast every morning, which was nice. That way we could start our sightseeing without wasting time looking for breakfast. Once you are seated, the lady will bring a basket of packaged danishes, crackers, and jam. Other breakfast items are toast, cereal, yogurt, orange juice and all types of coffees.

The front desk service was fantastic and very friendly. When you leave the apartment, you would leave your key with them and pick it up when you come back. This was a good and bad thing. The key chain for the key was pretty big and bulky to carry around. So leaving it with the front desk was a good thing. The bad thing is that I have kids that constantly forget something in the room right after we leave the key at the front desk. I felt bad to keep interrupting the front desk to get my key.

Overall, our experience with this apartment was very positive.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank nhumbc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brighton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2009

We all had a great time when we stayed here.Good location,tranquil surroundings.I think the cost of using the kitchen should be included in the total price as mostguests will use the facilities,25Euros is no big deal!Breakfast was more than adequate.Quando posso ritornare!Holly,14

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Bangalore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2009

I stayed in this residence for just over a year on work. Most of the time, I had my family with two kids with me. The residence is at a great location bang in the centre of the city and most of the tourist spots are walking distance from the residence. It is also close to the railway and bus station which makes mobility very easy. The owner of the residence is Mr. Pelagotti who is a great host and he and his family makes each and everyone feel at home. It is quite a spacious place compared to Florence standards and you have a option to cook if need be. Four persons can easily stay in this place with a king side bed on mezannine floor and a sofa cum bed in the living floor below. The only disadvantage is that breakfast choice is very limited and most of the stuff you get is packed food from the grocery store. But since the hotel is bang in the centre of the city, there is plenty of choice to eat just outside. I would definitely stay there during my next stay as I enjoyed my one year stay with the Pelagottis! Thanks again.....

• Liked — The location and the lovely hosts
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2008

We stayed here for a week and really thought that it was great value. Plenty of room, clean and three level (bedroom at top).

Probaby wouldnt be too good for the elderly with the three level but great for us. Really close to lots of top restaurants, and it was like walking into a quiet oasis after the hustle and bustle of Florence. Lovely courtyard with olive trees and outdoor settings.

Loved the breakfasts, internet access and room service each day. It was right up there for value in Italy and friends of ours just up the road, shared a room (very pokey hotel type room) and paid similar price to us.
Liked the staff, who were helpful. and obliging.

Great place we thought and I am very fussy.

Stayed October 2007
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2008

My sister and I stayed here for a week. We were very impressed with the two-level room. It was comfortable and the kitchen was well worth the 25 Euros to use. The family and other staff at the hotel were extremely helpful and always willing to share tidbits about Florence and they gave wonderful recommendations for restaurants. The only downfall was that the shutters on the outside windows (not thse to the hotel courtyard) did not open, which made the room dark. But understanding it is for safety, it was ok. We only ate breakfast a couple of times. Its not a typical North American continental and shouldn't be expected to be such. There was some choice of biscuits, cookies, toast and juice. Overall, a wonderful hotel, awesome location and great service. A definite gem in a beautiful city.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2006

We booked rooms at the La Contessina primarily for the location a few blooks from the train station and close to all the Florence sights. We were surprised to find our rooms to be tri-level suites with a specious living area in the middle. The only complaint was having to go down two half flights to get from the bedroom to the bathroom. The beedroom overlooked the livingroom which was fine for day, but not to great for a nap or when one of us wanted to sleep and the other wanted to do something else, such as watch TV. There was a nice courtyard outside our room, but that could be loud at night if the guests were not considerate. That wasn't a problem while we were there, but I could see how it could be. The staff was very nice and helpful. If you don't mind walking up and down steps a lot, I recommend the hotel.

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank fensu
Edinburgh, Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2006

I have just come back from a 4 night trip to Florence and stayed at these apartments for one night (the place we stayed the other 3 nights was full for the 4th and the same company recommended it). Although the apartment we had was clean enough and had the upstairs bedroom and downstairs living room I wasn't too terribly impressed with it - there were no windows/shutters that could be opened so it was quite stuffy and very dark. Although it was set in a pretty courtyard back off the main road it was pretty noisy - we could hear every single one of the other 20 or so sets of guests coming home all through the night and the walls were pretty thin (could hear every word/noise from room next door including the bathroom and bedroom - and it's inhabitants were actually being pretty quiet).

The staff were friendly enough, but being up in the duplex part of the apartment felt a bit cave like and not the adventure we had hoped! To add insult to injury they tried to add 25 euros on top of the agreed amount for use of the kitchen downstairs beside the living room (it had been advertised as an apartment with gallery kitchen). I've travelled a lot round Europe and never heard this before!

For the previous 3 nights and another 30 to 40 euros a night we had an apartment that was directly next to the Duomo with a view of it on the second from top floor - I would recommend it highly (it was called RESIDENCE SAN LORENZO on the Via de' Martelli)

• Stayed May 2006