“Perfect Home for Tuscany Travel”

Residence La Contessina
Ranked #61 of 410 Hotels in Florence
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Five years ago I discovered LaContessina in the heart of Florence and have just returned from my 20th week there with a total of 106 friends from the USA (and will return in September with 20+ more)! I wanted to put my twist on "let's rent a villa out in Tuscany" so I decided we could rent apartments in Florence and invited friends to join me there. LaContessina was the perfect choice. Each couple has the convenience of their own fully equipped apartment and we can walk all over the city from the excellent location. The train station is two blocks away and from there we travel throughout the Tuscan region, Cinque Terre, Venice and Rome. The Pelagotti family own and operate the business and are most friendly and accommodating hosts. There is great pride of ownership and involvement from the family and staff and the apartments, courtyard, breakfast room and grounds are clean and inviting. The included breakfast each morning is generous and a real bonus for travelers. Speaking for over 100 guests, all of us have been more than pleased with our accommodations and experiences at LaContessina. The close walking proximity to all the major sights in Florence, the restaurants and shopping along Via Faenza, the 5-minute walk to the San Lorenzo markets and the central food market, and the safety and security we feel at LaContessina makes it the perfect home base for travel in Tuscany. Try it - you'll like it - "Patrizia" says so!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pat K

Reviewed May 5, 2012

The Hotel Continessa is truly a home away from home. Over the years I have stayed in Florence more than 15 times. When I travel I am on a constant search for the “perfect hotel”, clean, great location, family owned, good beds and a reasonable price. Three years ago after dinner at a charming family restaurant (Enzo and Piero) at the on Via Faenza I noticed a small arched entrance with the sign Residence La Continessa about two doors away. Although it was late, I talked my friend into walking through the entrance to a small quiet courtyard. We received a warm greeting and were invited to return the next morning to see the rooms. The central atrium inside the hotel was so lovely that I could not wait to see more. I could not believe the rooms. Extremely clean, large bathroom, a living area with a kitchen, sofa and table, a great refrigerator with a freezer and a loft bedroom upstairs. There is a computer in each room (small additional charge). It was the largest room I had ever seen in Europe and the price was very reasonable. The next year I stayed for a week with some friends and everyone at the hotel was very helpful and friendly. In the morning there is a very elaborate, beautifully presented, Italian breakfast with several delicious pastries but also cheese, meat, yogurt, cereal, etc. In April, I stayed again for a week and I cannot wait to return again. About mosquitoes, they can be a problem in almost every hotel in Florence since European hotels (and homes) almost never have screens. Florence is in a valley and seems to attract mosquitoes even in late Fall and early Spring. The key is to only open the windows and turn off all the lights when you are not in the room. Then when you return, close the windows whenever the lights are on. I bring small packets of “OFF” wipes whenever I go to Florence and they solve the problem.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
contessinaFirenze, Proprietario at Residence La Contessina, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Thank you very much to present your experience with us. We would like to make happy all guest as you. So we wait you next time to let you try our news, including new cakes in the morning.
Hoping see you soon

Chiara

Reviewed November 16, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights in late October. The hotel is mini-apartment style, so one bed was in a loft area and on the second floor were the kitchen, and sitting area but the washroom was in the lower area by the front door. The kitchen does cost extra to use, so we did not use it at all. Our room had a tv/computer with internet for extra. The room, beds, and bathroom were very clean. One problem was the location of the washroom on the lower floor, but the bedroom was on the third floor, so using the washroom at night was difficult.

We really enjoyed the breakfast here, as we had not expected it at all. The coffee was wonderful, and I enjoyed the choice of breakfast foods available.

The hotel is very close to the train station,and this made travel to other cities convenient. Florence is a fairly small city, so we could still walk to the Duomo, Academia, Boboli gardens and Bardini gardens and most sites we visited within around 15 minutes from the hotel. Also, the area has plenty of excellent restaurants and shops nearby.

Upon entry to the condo, we discovered that it was somewhat stuffy being closed up for a while. We opened the windows, and noted that there were no screens. In the evening, we were invaded by mosquitoes, and my wife had about 20 large welts on her face and arms. To be honest, we were concerned about West Nile Disease but decided to watch and see what happened. The hotel staff did provide us with an insect spray with which we lathered ourselves for the other nights, and all seemed to be okay.

It was nice to have the market so close to the hotel, as we could drop off any purchases and then go out and see more sites.

Overall, we did enjoy our stay here at La Contessina.

Room Tip: Don't open the windows if you think there may be mosquitoes. They are huge and vey hungry.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dukeofargy
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I stayed in Residence La Contessina in May,2011 and had a very nice experience. The location is very convenient, walking distance from the main attractions. The apartment has 3 floors: one with the bathroom, one with a nice living room and another with beds (my room had 1 double bed and 1 single bed). There is also space to park the car. This hotel is run by a very nice family, very kind and very helpful. The coffebreak was prepared by a very nice lady, everything homemade. I would only suggested to add more salty food than sweet. Rosana (Brazil)

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 11, 2011

This is a family hotel and it feels it. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. They have
apartments so they are great for famlies or a group of friends. Breakfast was everything you needed to start your day and much more than the hotel in Rome. It is close to the train
station, walking distance. Hint: taxies are expensive. They have a base charge +1 euro per
per bag. So before we left the staion it was E 7.80 (2 of us + 4 bags- they counted the
carry ons) 9 euros for a 5 min. walk.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank DCAtravler
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Their staff are very friendly and helpful. They helped us to make reservations for Uffizi and it makes it super easy to get in. The "apartment" or a room within a 3 bedroom apartment we have for the trip was very clean. The breakfast was ok, we only went down for breakfast the first morning, it wasn't much of our style (cakes and pastries), not a sweet breakfast person, but they have good coffee.

Overall a good stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2011

This was a great experience. Spacious clean apartment style hotel, bed and breakfast style. Great location. Good home-made food, as well as bought from the best places in Florence...this is great especially in comparison to other Italian places. They stay very Italian as well as try to accomodate for tourists. Fantastic for families. Sound travels so don't plan to be too loud. Attention to detail... You really see the family in every detail of their place, from the warmth that they recieve you with, the decor (yes its religious, but thats just a part of it!) , and the simple fact that it's the family thats running the place! I loved it, my whole family loved it. I would definitly go back. If you are a couple looking for a nice place to relax after busy tourism filled days, if your a big or small family looking for space, this is the place for you.... Young adults wanting to party - might not be for you. hahah...

And a travel tip to all - It's Italy - sometimes things go wrong :) Thats all a part of it !! Just laugh about it. and continue...make the best of it.... at La contessina you will have little, if nothing to complain about.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family