“Would NOT recommend!!!”
Review of Locanda de' Ciompi

Locanda de' Ciompi
Ranked #34 of 659 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Ricardo, the owner, was charming, but he was unavailable most of the time and this B&B did not even meet 2star B&B standard! I would neither return nor recommend this place! Where do I begin?

1. Our standard room was lousy! I am not complaining that it had no scenic view, that it was on the street front side or that the building was old - all of this was totally okay with us, but a 1.2 m [4 ft.] wide old bed for 2 people in a tiny room with no bathroom was not enough for the price we paid!

2. Ricardo, the owner, was not available most of the time. We arrived at 11 a.m. on the first day. No one at the reception, not even at the front door! We had to wait on the street. No board, no message, not even a "post me"-memo saying "I'll be back soon" or "call me on my mobile, my number is...". If it weren't for 2 other guests who gave us Ricardo's mobile number, we could have waited for hours on the street.

3. We called Ricardo, who promised to come in 15 minutes time. He arrived late (only a few minutes), and, the truth be told, gave good advice on restaurants and switched our room with no extra cost (No big deal, since the bigger room was available and the "standard" room was substandard, even for a 2 star B&B). We had some laundry to wash, and told him we will be back in an hour or two, he promised to be in the office, but we was not. We called him on his mobile, again. He told us he went to have lunch (Which is totally okay, people need to eat, but a note would have been great!! I don't think it is appropiate to chase your host all the time!)

This scheme continued for our stay. Unavailibility and unreliablility......

We are not keen on luxury and try to stay at real people's places with a personal and local touch as oppose to multinational hotel chains. We were really diasappointed this time.

This place failed! A charming owner does not equal a good B&B!!!

Room Tip: Forget the standard rooms!!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Dudel
ciompi09, Proprietario at Locanda de' Ciompi, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2011

Dear guest, thank you, first, for time you spended in giving us your opinion about your stay at Locanda de' Ciompi.
We are so sorry about your words, but there are few things I would like to specify:

1) The smallest bed I have at Locanda de Ciompi , the one in your room, is 145 cm. The others are 160 cm.; “The room has no bathroom”: it’s not true. Your room had a private external bathroom, less than 2 meters from your room door.
2) You booked through an important web agency and on your voucher the check-in time was clearly specified: it begins at 12:00am: I was at the supermarket, but no problems for me to make you the favour of coming there at 11:15 (or few minutes late…). If I gave you that room instead of another (you never told me you disliked your room), that’s because (fortunately) I was fully booked in that period.
3) With reference to your kind suggestions regarding my availability, I explained you that I work alone at Locanda de’ Ciompi, but probably a misunderstanding has occurred.. I accept your advise: next time, I will leave a big paper at the front door…

Reviewed July 13, 2011

We stayed at the Locanda de' Ciompi in June of this year and very much enjoyed our stay. Riccardo, who I believe is the owner, was very friendly and helpful with finding different museums and restaurants. The B&B is in a great, active location but is still quiet when you want to go to sleep at night. The only complaint I might have (and this is nitpicking) is that we had to get our breakfast at a bakery down the street since the person who usually did it was out sick for the week. Other than that, we had a great time!

Room Tip: Ask for room 2 since it has a private bathroom
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2011

This was a great place to stay, no more than 10 minutes walk from everything. Riccardo really helpful and recommended his fave place to eat PEPO. we eat there on the first night and although good we found better places to eat.
Hotel booked our reservation at Galleria accademy which costs 15 euros each but is well worth the extra 4 euros to save time queuing.

expect to pay 6 to 7 euros for a larger and 5 euros for a glass of wine. found a great little bar at san lorenzo called the fish bar (close to Pepo) which did a happy hour from 4 till 9pm, so you can get a larger for 4 euros (not exactly a bargain but good value for Florence)
wonderful city really worth visiting hope to visit again sometime and would defo stay here again..

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Ricchardo was wonderful. At check-in, he sat down with us and asked us what we wanted to do, where we wanted to go, and what we wanted to eat; then, he marked a map that we used almost exclusively. He also gave us suggestions for restaurants (his favorite was Pepo and we loved it, too) and Florentine dishes (such as Ribolitta and trippa) that we would have been too nervous to try if not for his encouragement.

The location was perfect, we could see the Duomo from our street and everything was in walking distance (supermarket, Billa, one block away).

Room was spacious and comfortable. Bathroom also large with a good shower. Allergy note: There is a strong scent of potpourri when you enter and also a floral scent to the linens. I thought is was nice but those with allergies may want to beware.

Breakfast at La Loggia was excellent. I still long for their cappuccinos and cornettos. Delicious.

Taxi to the locanda was 10 euro from Termini. We did not use public buses (not necessary as everything was so close).

One note: Towels were not changed daily. I'm told this is typical at locandas, but I didn't know at the time and kept dropping them on the floor, then finding them hung up later. I guess I was being a wasteful American.

We chose this locanda because it could accommodate 3 in a room AND because of the great reviews. We were very satisfied with our stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2011

I booked this b&b without expecting such a nice stay there. Philip is so nice & helpful, even my room was updated to a large one ----- extremely large!!! Nice bathroom, good breakfast.

And cannot forget to mention it's great location, only a few minutes walk to Piazza de Reppublica, and since Firenze is such a concentrated place, so everywhre you could go by walk.

Ask Philip the local restaurants he would give you very good suggestion, nice food with fair price, I love!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 17, 2011

We stayed here for almost two weeks and couldn't have asked for any more! The staff were fantastic and Philippe was extremely helpful with directions, bookings for attractions and museums, etc.

The location is great. No more than a 10 minute walk to most of the main attractions such as the Duomo, Michelangelo's David, the Uffizi, shops and restaurants.

Also a very easy walk to the station for any trips outside of Florence.

Will definitely be staying again!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LPWB
Reviewed March 13, 2011

We stayed here for three nights and felt as if we were in a local area with locals! The rooms are simple but, clean and comfortable. Reception was easy and friendly and we were given details of some fantastic places to eat. We walked everywhere easily.

Breakfast is included but, we had to go to a local cafe. We were a little peeved about this at first until we took our token to La Loggia. A fantastic cafe a very short walk with a great atmosphere and full of locals. Choosing from a fantastic array of filled rolls, pastries and cakes. Oh and really good coffee.

Almost over the road is a wondrful little square full of antique stalls. Further down the road was one of the best italian restuarants I've ever eaten in called La Ghiotta.

We were chuffed to not be in the "hotel district" and loved every minute. Great place, people and food. Our airport taxi was arranged too. The hotel is on a street with no cars. Thanks Richardo

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple