“Outstanding rooms, location and service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residenza Giotto

Residenza Giotto
Ranked #159 of 653 Florence B&B and Inns
Singapore
“Outstanding rooms, location and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

We stayed 4 nights at the Residenza Giotto and loved it. The location is unbeatable. You're just around the corner from the Duomo and our room's window had a view of Giotto's bell tower. What more could you want? Only potential downside was getting woken up at 7 by the bells but, hey, that's also romantic, right? The room was spotless. My only gripe was that the bathroom was a bit cramped, but in Europe that's not unusual. Giorgio, Veronica and Silvia were the perfect hosts and always there in the mornings to assist. Despite a fairly cramped breakfast area, they still made it welcoming and if you sat outside on the veranda, you were gazing up at the Duomo. When Giorgio heard that my fiancee was allergic to wheat, he went out of his way to find gluten-free tea and brought in extra fruit in the mornings. Veronica researched restaurants serving gluten-free food (and thereby helped us find a place serving the best pizza we ate in Italy, Ciro & Sons). All in all, we loved our stay at Residenza Giotto and would go back there anytime. Thanks Giorgio & team!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Polish first
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

We stayed here in July and in our 4 months trip (myself and my girlfriend), Residenza Giotto would have to have been our favourite place. There are only 4 or 5 rooms in the B&B which makes for a great cozy atmosphere. Georgio, the owner, was incredibly friendly, very helpful and attentive and provided great ideas about things to do and see in Florence. Additionally, he provided an excellent breakfast which we ate on the terrace which faced directly at the famous Duomo! Breakfast included cereal, pastries, fruit, coffee/tea/hot chocolate, juices. The room was spacious, modern, clean and very comfortable. The location is perfect for florence and for the price we paid, we couldn't believe how good the location is. Highly recommended and I don't know why you would stay anywhere else!

Location
      Rooms
Kingscliff, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

I can only echo all the positive comments made of this place. The location is unbeatable, right in the heart of Florence. The room was cosy and welcoming with comfortable beds. Our stay was in August, so the air conditioning was a godsend. The breakfast, whilst basic, was more than satisfying for my mother and myself.
Giorgio and Sylvia are wonderful hosts. They are there to assist you in any way possible. They kindly organized tickets to the academia for us via email before we left home. Simple and easy.
The balcony was a great spot to sit, relax and have a drink and the end of the day. The views of the duomo were just magical.
The wi fi worked well at all times from our room.
I booked and prepaid for the room in advance. I really dont think you couldn't get better value for money in such a great location in Florence.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

My flight arrived late Sunday night, and I was greeted by friendly Giorgio who waited for me at the front door. He helped me with my bags into the lift and advised me where I could go for good local Italian restaurant. My room was spacious & clean and had a en-suite bathroom. The aircon was a god send and the room has double glazing that blocked all the noise out.
I had the most spectacular view of the Duomo from my room and the delightful roof top terrace. I visit Florence twice a year, and will return to Residenza Giotto. You simply cannot be more central at such an affordable price.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Michelle P
long v
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

My wife and I stayed two nights at the residenza Giotto and it was great. It was very much a family owed hotel and it really felt that way. The rooms are smaller than normal hotel rooms in the USA but it is that way throughout most if Italy. It was clean, the view from the deck area is AMAZING! My wife and I brought local cheese, meats and a bottle of wine and enjoyed the view on the deck while taking a late lunch. The kitchen is always open to use their plates or whatever. The air conditioning worked great, there is nothing bad to say about this bed and breakfast. Getting in the first day is a bit confusing but other than that I would definately go back. Best bang for your buck in Florence.
L and E

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Oakland, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

We stayed at Residenza Giotto for one night in July 2011. It does not feel good giving Residenza Giotto 3 stars because the people who run (own?) could not be better. Sylvia and Giorgio are the nicest most helpful people of any hotel/inn I have stayed at. From the time I first inquired online, to them offering to reserve Academia tickets for us, to their welcome on our arrival, they were the best!

I booked the prepaid double room deal which saved about 10-20 euro I think. The room we got was literally right off the reception and the bathroom was the first thing you walk by when you enter the room. So, you could hear people talking in the reception from the bathroom. The room itself was nice, pretty clean, older furnishings that definitely had some wear and tear but it seemed that the room was arranged with care. They have a nice tea and coffee service laid out complimentary.

Okay, let's get the bad out of the way. People who have read other reviews of mine will note that I focus on bathrooms. A bad bathroom can really ruin a hotel room for me because, if I don't feel clean coming out of the shower, I never will feel clean in that room. The bathroom was another story. There was a very small shower with a fair amount of mildew in the grout. I was even ready to overlook this until later that night I took the plastic motel-style cups (think flimsy plastic with the plastic wrap around, to keep them clean presumably) from the toothbrush holder and found that the toothbrush holder had scummy (probably just soap) water in the bottom of it and that that water had seeped into the plastic wrap of the cups and around the cups. It was not a lot of water but enough that I was not interested in using the cups for our wine on the balcony. It was fine, we drank from the bottle, but I did not feel good in the bathroom. I think I've said my piece here.

Now, back to the good. When we arrived, Sylvia took us on a tour of the small one-floor inn. She showed us our room, greeted us very warmly, and took us through the breakfast room to the incredible balcony. The view is amazing. It feels like you are sitting directly under the Duomo. We loved coming out to the balcony after dinner and playing cards, drinking chianti, and admiring the view. Very romantic. Sylvia and Giorgio also set us up with complimentary wireless.

We had breakfast included in our rate and it was good. There were some pastries, some bread, a very little bit of cheese, cereals, and then yogurt I think. Also an espresso machine. It definitely got the job done. We also really enjoyed breakfast on the balcony.

I am not sure if the room we were in is worse than most of the rooms because it was the one they had on the prepaid sale. Despite the amazing hospitality and great views, I am sorry to say that I am not sure I would stay again at Residenza Giotto.

Room Tip: Ask not to be next to reception.