“Wonderful hotel in Florence”

Panella's Residence
Ranked #62 of 657 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 10, 2006

During a two week trip in Italy (4 hotels) Panella's was by far the best place we stayed. The location is great - you can walk everywhere. The surrouding resturants were also great. The rooms are beautiful (the pictures on the website do not do them justice) and they were so clean. However the best part about Panella's is Graziella the hostess. She was so nice and helpful. After a very bad train experience from Salerno to Florence we were delighted when we were welcomed by her. She made great recommendations for dinner and let us keep our bags there after we checked out while we went and explored the city. Also her breakfast is delicious - my husband is still talking about it. If I return to Florence the only place I would consider staying is at Panella's.

Stayed: September 2006

Reviewed October 9, 2006

Spent 1 night at Panella Residence on Sept. 28th. Both room and bathroom were spacious, clean and beautiful. Large comfortable bed. Very quiet. A/C. Beautiful stenciled doors. Old charm B&B, right in the middle of Firenze. Perfect location, less than 10 mintues walk to be the Duomo and Accademia Museum. Graziella can arrange to purchase museum tickets for you prior to your arrival. I was sent my confirmation # and had no lines to wait in the next a.m. Paid for tickets on site at the museum. We arrived by mini-van in the narrow streets, managed to park the rental in a loading area just past the front door of the Residence...and Graziella was a very helpful hostess and arranged for someone to come drive with my husband to the closest parking lot where we left our rental for 2 days. The residence had a few flight of stairs but after spending 4 days in Postiano, Amalfi Coast....it was nothing! Graziella suggested a restaurent one street over for dinner that evening....La Giostra. Do make a reservation! Best meal I enjoyed on our entire trip! Osso Bucco, pasta, and an unexpected sampling of 6 different wonderful antipasto that was complimentary at the start of the meal. We had ordered too much food so we weren't able to even share a Tiramisu which they said was the best in the city! Ambience at the restaurant was very nice. Meal will probably cost you about Euro 100 for 2 with wine but well worth it! My only regret is that we only stayed at Panella's for 1 night....but we'll be back for a longer stay on our next trip to Firenze!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank rockport
Reviewed September 21, 2006

We spent three nights at Panella's and can't say enough about the experience.

Graziella is a gracious host with a gorgeous property. We rented two rooms (42 & 45) and both were exactly as advertised. The showers are above average for European showers (i.e. big enough to turn around in!), the breakfast is also far above average (homemade cakes, yogurt, great capucino) and the location is fantastic; off the beaten path, away from the crowds, with a park nearby (great if you have a four year old with you, like we did), laundry around the corner, internet cafe around the other corner and a fantatic little bar right across the street (try the dinner...best mozzarella we had all trip).

Highly recomended; I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Fejman
Reviewed June 1, 2006

What can I say beyond what has already been written? My husband, a friend and I had two rooms there May 22 and 23 - Rooms 41 and 42. Both were just wonderful. My friend had a very large room with very high ceilings and gorgeous wood beams. She had a just fine bathroom and shower. Our room, 41, initially "seemed" to be smaller than 42. However, this room actually has a hallway with a large walk-in closet. The hallway leads to the most enourmous bathroom!! My husband estimated it was 19 feet long by about 6 feet wide. In short, we had plenty of room and could keep our stuff in the closet and hallway so as not to clutter up the charming bedroom.

The shower was just wonderful with great pressure and the airconditioning worked perfectly (needed in Florence because of all the mosquitoes). Everything was spotlessly clean and the beds were quite comfortable. And our rooms toward the back were very quiet. No street noises at all.

Graziella could not have been a more gracious hostess. She announced to us that "This is your home" and she treated us like royalty. Breakfast included lovely homemade cakes that she cooked herself. Graziella explained that the house was about 1100 years old and was a former convent. It was decorated with lots of wonderful old antiques everywhere. The downstairs, where the lounge and breakfast room are was the stable for the convent, with arched brick ceilings. Everything was just charming and delightful.

The only downside is there is no elevator, so you must be prepared to carry luggage up one or two flights of stairs, depending on where your room is.

It was such a delight to come back to this B&B at the end of a long day touring Florence. I could not recommend it more highly.

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank OlderTraveler
A TripAdvisor Member
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 12, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Panella's Residence for three nights in April 2006. It was perfect - the room was lovely, clean and comfortable, the bathroom very large and the atmosphere had the flavor of old Florence. Panellas is situated in the middle of the historic section of Florence and we walked everywhere. Since the historic district is a working neighborhood as well, there is a market, a laundromat and even a $l.00 store within a couple block radius of the Residence. When I think back though, I smile to think of Grazielle and Giusseppe. They were the warmest most pleasant hosts. Giusseppe introduced me to espresso which turned out to be the best I had in Italy. We would love to go again someday and maybe we will!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member