“a bad experience”
Review of La Doccia

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Florence
La Doccia
Ranked #484 of 675 Florence B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“a bad experience”
Reviewed June 1, 2006

This trip was booked by my late husband and I last year. My husband pasted away suddenly
Christmas Eve 2005. I decided to take the trip with my sister because it was paid for and thought it would be good for me. After getting to this place I found the owners to be rude,
I had to drag my own bags down a dirt road myself to the room, there was no phone and no
other guest staying there. They did not serve dinner on Sundays so we were told to go
into the nearby town and on the way back someone hite our car and after getting back to La Docia found
there was no one around and no phone to call anyone regarding the accident, we were out in the woods alone. The
next morning I told the owners what happened again they were rude and uncarring so I decided this was not a place for
a simgle women. I asked the owners to help me finds a place in the city to which they refussed of course they refussed to reimburse any of the amount I had paid for the
week. I was left to find my was back to Florence with a banged up car and to find my own
accomadations their. Oh! did I mention my daughter called me that night when we went to
the town for dinner. She was helled at by Sonia(the owner) because it was 10:00PM and I never received her
message.

Grace Glew

• Stayed May 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, C-owner along with my wife Sonia at La Doccia, responded to this review, June 26, 2006
The trip had not been fully paid for by Mrs Glew’s late husband. A deposit had been paid which we would have refunded as per the terms and conditions of our reservation policy stated in our web site. However, Mrs Glew choose to come with her sister and she paid the balance of the deposit a few weeks before her arrival. This was for a self-catering self service apartment and she could have arrived, as most guests do, with provisions so that there was no need to go out for meals if they do not want to. Mrs Glew could also have driven down close to the apartment and unloaded there.

The fact is, Mrs Glew found driving in Italy and to us very difficult after the USA and she was very unhappy about driving around Tuscany for the balance of her stay. She complained about the roads as soon as she arrived and realised that she would have been happier in a town centre hotel. Mrs Glew was quite distressed on arrival and there was little we could say to counter her feelings. She only lost a wing mirror in her incident and when Mrs Glew and her sister returned later that evening everyone else had gone to bed – including the other guests. The next morning when she came to the office, we suggested contacting the car hire company using our telephone who would replace the car. But, by then, Mrs Glew had made the decision that she could not face driving in Italy and she and her sister left La Doccia with their luggage even though her sister told us to keep the accommodation for their return and that they were not formally checking out. Someone phoned us at about 1115 pm the previous evening and could not be put through to the apartment because, being only a small family run agriturismo, we do not have phones in guest accommodation.

Business
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 25, 2005

We spend two nights at this bed and breakfast. The room was adequate and clean as was the private bath. However, it lacked hospitality and warmth and we felt as though we were intruders, not guests. It was too pricey for what was provided. The breakfast was adequate and dinner was available upon request for 50 Euros per person. Wine was available to purchase by the bottle only and soft drinks and other beverages were available at a stiff price. The attitude that prevailed was a very condenscing one. The area is beautiful and very isolated but we would definitely not recommend this place.

4 Thank dafduk
, Co-owner with my wife Sonia at La Doccia, responded to this review, June 26, 2006
We have been in Karen Brown’s b and b guide for Italy for seven years and we do not believe that we could have survived their ongoing and careful scrutiny on behalf of their mainly US clientele if we had a condescending attitude or were not welcoming and hospitable
Roanoke VA
Reviewed March 16, 2005

We began planning our Honeymoon in Tuscany many months prior to the wedding. We did extensive research and at first thought we would just rent a flat in Florence. To our good fortune, we discovered La Doccia via an online review by Karen Brown. Edward and Sonia Mayhew are an English couple who purchased La Doccia several years back. They have pain staking restored the old monastery. La Doccia sits on a secluded 70-acre property set above the Sieve river valley to the east of Florence. It is an amazing setting for your Tuscan holiday. Being Americans who spoke very limited Italian, having Edward & Sonia as our hosts put us at ease. It was like staying with friends.

You will want to rent a car to get to La Doccia. We flew into the Florence airport and headed straight for Pelago. We highly recommend staying outside of Florence. Everyone has their own tastes. But we found you truly get the local feel and flavor of the Tuscan culture by staying in the countryside. Day trips on the train to Florence are easy. Returning to the countryside for dinner at the local restaurants and walks under the stars sure beats the sounds of scooters and smell of exhaust in Florence.

We arrived a bit tired from the long flight. Not to worry as Edward had already planned a special meal for us that evening. We had a 4 course, authentic Tuscan meal right in the house dining room. We sat by the fire and enjoyed a bottle of Tuscan wine. It was the perfect start to our trip. We were introduced to the local cuisine on our first evening. Edward filled us in on itineraries to consider and taught us all about the local culture. We were 3 steps ahead of the game. Again, having Edward and Sonia as our hosts ensured we never wasted time seeing or doing things we wouldn't enjoy. Their recommendations for dinner and sightseeing were perfect. It was like having a personal tour guide included in the price of our accommodations.

The grounds include bed and breakfast rooms as well as 3 apartments and 2 Villas. We stayed in the apartment Francesca. The room was clean and well furnished. The rooms are just as Karen Brown described: "filled with lovely antiques (local and imported from England), queen- or king-sized beds, and beautiful linens and tiled bathrooms. Guests can wander about the many common rooms and have a glass of wine in front of a spectacular sunset while Edward works Mediterranean wonders in the kitchen. Prepare to be pampered. "

The views are incredible. Imagine waking each morning to view olive groves and vineyards spread across rolling hills and valleys all right from your bedroom window!

La Doccia sits atop a mountain near Pelago Italy. The train station in Pontassieve is about a 10 minute drive. We parked right beside the train station. The round trip cost to Florence is about $7. The train also can get you many other places in Italy. There are also local shops and a grocery store here. We bought some wonderful meets, cheeses, and vegetables right in town. Some days we just came back to La Doccia and enjoyed dinner and lunch right on the grounds. How wonderful to buy fresh local Tuscan foods and prepare your own meal at your mountain top apartment!

La Doccia is place that will always be close to our heart. We highly recommend you consider them for your stay in Tuscany.

Our photos: --------------------------------------