“Great Place”
Review of Palazzo Galletti

Palazzo Galletti
Ranked #136 of 656 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 8, 2008

We really enjoyed our 5-night stay at Palazzo Galletti. Our room was a double and was a nice size and very comfortable. The bathroom was quite large and modern. We loved the shower and the fluffy towels were fantastic. They had matching robes in the same thick terry cloth! The people were quite helpful, although there was a bit of a snag when we arrived around 10:00 p.m. Nobody answered the buzzer downstairs to let us in and I needed to go across the street to a garage. Thank goodness I knew some Italian and they were kind enough to call. He acted like this had happened before. The breakfast was quite ample and the location was great. Everything was within walking distance - usually within 2 to 15 minutes. I would definitely recommend Palazzo Galletti and would return in the future.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Palazzo Galletti

Reviewed October 11, 2008

Spent 3 nights in this centrally located B&B in Florence. I made the reservation directly with the B&B on the internet and received prompt and detailed e-mail replies with good communication throughout.

Located on the first floor with all the rooms facing internal courtyards, the place was tastefully decorated and peaceful, an escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. Most of the major sites were within walking distances (5 minutes from the Duomo). The staff, available from 9am to 7pm, were helpful, pre-booked tickets for the Uffizi Gallery at my request, and recommended local restaurants.

The Cerere suite (see photos) is spacious (more than 40 sq m) with high ceiling, beautifully decorated with frescoed walls and chandelier. The French window leads out onto a balcony facing a courtyard, a nice place to have a drink after a long day of sightseeing. The marble bathroom has a full-sized bath as well as a separate walk-in shower.

The only 2 negative comments were no heating in the suite during my stay (despite temperature dropping to 12 degrees at night) and a humming noise from a generator located 10 feet away from the balcony.

Overall I am impressed by the standard of this B&B, and the effort made by the owner and the staff to provide a reasonably priced (Euro 220 a night was a bargain to me) and comfortable accommodation.

• Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank cuddly
Reviewed September 16, 2008

Booked the place through what we thought was their website but seems to have been an affiliate of sorts - on arrivial the price they wanted to charge was more than my email confirmation so a bit of banter and we eventually sorted it.

Arrived earlier than plan - always a good test (12 mid-day) and they had the room ready in 5 mins.

We stayed in the MERCURIO room which was very nice indeed. Lovely room with a good size bathroom. Fixtures and fittings were very contemporary and the balcony was semi-functional (tiny thing with zero privacy) bit of a waste of time but lets the fresh air in as it is within an open internal courtyard (all room balconies hang onto the inside of the courtyard and look out at each other).

Reception was a bit of a mess - they need to bring that in-line with the quality of the rooms and the staff appear to be different each time you see one. Generally they are scruffy and not exactly part of the branding - again odd considering their boutique attempts with the rooms. Maybe students working part time I'm not sure but wasnt so impressed.

There are no staff available in the evening which didnt bother me (you get key to front door) but that might weird out some people who are used to being surrounded by staff.

Breakfast was served in a nice room with a friendly lady making coffees. She was the best member of staff IYAM and as dressed appropriately. Left luggage was safe and when we returned they had added a small bag with an item of clothing that we accidently left behind (either wasnt the cleaners size or they can be trusted).

They stated on the website a pool but that is part of a spa elsewhere in the building which you have to pay for (bit of a con)

The street it was located on was relatively central (few mins walk to Duomo) and seemed safe enough during the day but at night not the best - I can take care of myself but a single female might feel uncomfortable (it is dark and relatively narrow / quiet). From the outside the building looks rather derelict, tatty shop next door and building works up the street which made me smile - certainly is a hidden gem which you wouldnt know is there..

For the money though..... It is trying but not trying hard enough. It has a lot to do to compete with similarly priced properties.
Yes, the rooms are 'pretty' but that is where the service ends - I expect the whole package to be of similar quality which I do not believe is the case here. For the €50 a night more than the simple clean B&B's closer to the center a prettier room just isnt enough - I wouldnt be heading back there in a rush. Who hangs around looking at a pretty bed room when you have the whole of Florence to explore.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dwnfallen
Reviewed August 19, 2008

Having arrived slightly later than our 9pm check in we were met warmly by Laura on reception,she booked a restaurant (Natalino`s) for us which was just around the corner from the hotel serving up delicious pasta,pizza and meat dishes at reasonable prices.The hotel which is a 5 minute drive from the train station is tucked away in a small side street away from the hustle and bustle of the city,yet within 10 minutes walk to the main attractions. Our room was Mercurie and provided a welcome haven from the busy and hot environs of Florence.Clean and cool with attention to detail and with a small balcony (hard to find in the city) with a view over the rustic hotel courtyard.All the staff were considerate and amiable and assisted us with various sight seeing venues,a trip to The Mall a designer outlet about an hours bus drive away was worth a visit to peruse amongst Armani,Gucci,D&G etc at decent prices.Not ones for queuing to see inside busy art galleries and museums(all within walking distance) we took off on foot to take in the sights of the Palazzi Pitti just across the Old Bridge(which we named Bling Bridge due to the number of gold and jewelry shops!) which once inside contains the beautiful Bobilli gardens.Our favourite trip however was the short bus ride to Fiosole a small hillside retreat with wonderful panoramic views of the city and the welcoming laid back restaurant where we took in a beer and the magnificent views.There is no shortage of places to eat in Florence and some of the best places to dine are the little restaurants/bistros tucked away in the myriad of side streets to be found in and around the city.San Lorenzo market is worth a stoll for beautiful leather goods and souvenirs as was taking in the beautiful sunsets viewed from the bridge.All in all Florence is a vibrant city steeped in culture wherever you turn and staying at the Palazzo Galletti added to our wonderful experience.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 30, 2008

Dare I even share this hidden jewel? This was one of the best places in Italy that my husband and I stayed on our honeymoon. We booked the Cerere suite and it was beyond all my expectations. The room is huge and gorgeous, and it felt like we were Renaissance-era nobility hanging out in our luxurious home. Given the age of the property I had not expected the typical "modern conveniences" - but when I walked into the bathroom, I was shocked at how luxurious it was - completely redone all marble, well-lit, with all the bath amenities of a 5-star hotel. There is a little balcony with a limited view of the city, and the location can't be beat - it's steps away from the Duomo. I can't speak for the other rooms in this hotel, but I loved our room, and will definitely stay here again on my next trip to Florence!

• Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed May 8, 2008

We stayed at Palazzo Galletti for just two days in April, 2008. The Palazzo is on the first floor of a restored bulding just three blocks away from the Duomo. The professionalism of the staff was apparent from the first time we communicated and it proved even better when we got in Florence. They booked tickets for the Uffizzi Gallery (with a fee) and had reserved parking space on the garaze opposite the hotel. They provided information for restaurants and shopping suggestions. The room we chose was the Venere quite spacious with a small balcony overlooking the patio - the bathroom was also very spacious, modern and needless to mention spotlessly clean. Although Palazzo Galletti is in the center of Florence upon entering the hotel all the noise of the city is left outside. The breakfast area is served in what used to be the kitchen of the bulding giving you an "air of the medieval" - breakfast was continental with orange juicer - I would have liked though some more fresh fruits.
It is an excellent choice and I would definitely return!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank SophiaK
Reviewed April 17, 2008

Palazzo Galletti is a great B&B in a 15th c. palazzo, centrally location on a fairly quiet street. Walk everywhere! We stayed in the Giove which is a lovely, well attended room with fresco walls that faces a beautiful courtyard. Comfortable king bed, plus a pull-out couch, if needed. High-end marble bathroom (shower only). TV and mini bar. Cool breakfast room in the buildings original kitchen. Very cordial and helpful English-speaking staff. Quiet and private ... you let yourself in and out of the building. No elevator, so if carrying your bags up and down stairs is a problem, this is not the place for you. A splurge for us, but we weren't sorry. This is a keeper!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family