“Not what I expected!”
Review of Hotel Savonarola

Hotel Savonarola
Ranked #159 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed August 19, 2013

On a positive note, the staff at the main desk were very helpful. They went over a map of the city with us and helped us pick places to eat but that might be the only positive thing about this hotel.
The main address of this hotel is not the main entrance- the main entrance is around the corner and its door has the name of a different hotel on it. Our room smelled strongly like cleaning products the whole duration of our stay and gave us headaches. The lighting in the room was terrible: there were 3 lamps in the room which dimly lit it at best. During the day we had one window in the corner of the room that prevented light from reaching one half of the room. The worst part of this room was the bathroom. The toilet seat was broken and taped together but there was a piece of hair under the tape! I would NOT recommend this place to anyone. There are plenty of other hotels that we passed on our way to the city center which I would rather have stayed.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Laurai313

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I backpacked through Italy and one of my stay was here at Hotel Savonarola. It's a lil tricky to get to/to access but once there and you have familiarized yourself with the surroundings, then everything becomes so simple.
The staff here was phenomenal. They were simply superb and i would definitely stay here again and again. :-) Staff was very helpful with assisting me in trying to find food places. Location as far as attractions. They had their handheld maps and were able to help in even finding the nearest post office. They were just simply great. Very accommodating, friendly and nice.

They have free wi-fi in the rooms on the back of the room doors. with codes ect . You had to leave your key upon going out, whether for dinner or tour or just for a walk :-) Understandable.Breakfast is served daily for 5.00 EURO from 7:00am - 10:30am The rooms were clean. Towels were provided daily ad everything was clean and smelled fresh. When choosing a room, choose one that is the back of the hotel not located on the front towards the street like #15 or #18 The rates per night were very reasonable especially if you were on a budget. They are located on the 2nd floor and has a very small lift which holds approx 2 people comfortably without luggage :-) They also have an area or room to store your luggage if you are early or leaving to come back. They will store it for you at no extra cost. I did that and it was really wonderful.

They are located in walking distance from The Duomo,The Accademia, Uffizi Gallery, Palazzo Vecchio to name a few. The Santa Maria Novella is also in walking distance, but if you have luggage a cab would be best and the fare is about 7-8 EURO's. I loved Florence and would definitely visit again including staying here at the this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose rooms towards the back of hotel not toward the street like #15 & 18, noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Don't get me wrong this place is not bad at all but a bit overrated. We didn't have any unsolvable problems here but the place was really an okish place. I don't think it is a gemstone that deserves 4.5 rating. I don't know how it got that average in the first place. Maybe beautiful Florence itself bleeds some of its credit into this hotel but I always try to stay neutral about that.

It is a bit faraway from center of Florence so be prepared to walk or you could take the closeby bus every day for 1.2 euro per person for 90 minutes. We were 3 and we were doing two rounds everyday so that is almost 20$ which is not small amount.

Beds were not really comfortable. Room wasn't very clean and the shower floor didn't have any type of traction so my father almost broke his toe. There was no shelf to put your staff under the bathroom mirror and no hanger to hang your towels. Wi-fi passwords given for the room get invalidated quite often so either you have to go to the reception to reset it or keep trying another password till you find one available among the 5 passwords you're given (3 of them were already invalidated the day we checked in). It became a boring task really quick. Display on the remote control for the A/C wasn't working so it was a bit hard to set it right. There is no safe in the rooms so you have to leave your valuables in the common safe at the reception.

Continental breakfast didn't have any sort of cheese or meat. Croissants and the bread were always dry and stale. It was the poorest breakfast that I've seen in any hotel/B&B I stayed.

Only positive thing about this place is probably the staff. They were polite and helpful but only that itself cannot be enough to warrant a 4.5 rating.

I know the negative things I listed are minor grievances but when there a loads of them they add up.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The Hotel is decent. Rooms were clean and spacious. The location is ideal for exploring Florence and most importantly, it is good value for money.

The reception staff were exceptional. They went to great lengths to suggest places to visit, public transport links and restaurants before we even asked them for help.

The only negative experience we had was in finding the hotel when we first landed in Florence. The address and directions listed on their site is wrong and we were lost for almost an hour before we managed to find a pay phone and called the hotel. Would be nice if the hotel staff could update their website with better directions.

Would definitely recommend staying here!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Seshank25
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We had a great time at Hotel Savonarola, large rooms,very clean and with flat screen Tv and most important to us a welcoming place where we have been feeling like at home.
The staff is great they assisted us in all our needs and gave us lots of tips for food and nightlife.
Florence is a gem and this place really helped us to appreciate it.
It is located 5 minutes walk from the Michelangelo's David and ten minutes away from the magnificent Duomo of Brunelleschi. An unforgettable stay for an unforgettable town,we will choose this place again when we'll be back, meantime we'll recommend it to all our friends back home, thanks guys!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 21, 2013

If you are seeking a wonderful place to stay for cheap price,you are on the right place.If you are visiting Florence you must book a room in Savonarola hotel and I can assure you that you wont regret it.I was there this summer and I have only words of praise for this hotel.The room service was quite good.They have included breakfast into the price,and the breakfast was very good.Also you get private bathroom and you got hot water all the time.And,for people like me who are addicted to the internet,you got wireless internet access.One thing that i didn't like was that the rooms were for non-smokers only,because I'm a smoker but this was a minor problem for me.Also the hotel is in the centar of the town,and I visited some of Florence landmarks like Uffizi gallery,Ponte Vecchio,Palazzo Vecchio which are only 15 minutes walking from the hotel.All I want to say is that you get real value for your money and I can assure you that this hotel worth for your money.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
leonardo c, Proprietario at Hotel Savonarola, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Kind Guest
Thanks a lot for your review.
We are very happy that you have appreciated our efforts to make your stay pleasant.
Hope to see you back here in Florence !

Reviewed March 10, 2013

even if i only stayed 2 nights i can tell that this was a great last minute choice. Friendly english speaking staff, spacious and warm room, good wi-fi and pretty good location. The value was pretty good as well.

Kind Guest

thanks for your review and for the time you have spent here in florence, with us.
We are very happy that our work is appreciated and we are gonna do more and more to make everybody's stay a time to be remembered.

thanks !