“Wonderful front desk service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Universo

Universo
Ranked #252 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Maitland South Australia
“Wonderful front desk service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

What a fantastically helpful lady on front desk ! This hotel is a little bit different decor wise but location is brilliant and we loved it ! It was just a short walk from the railway station, close to the markets and all major attractions were an easy walk away. Hotel is located on the square with a most beautiful church there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Delhi, Delhi, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Hotel Universo is just across the railway station and easily approachable. Room was not comfortable but the staff was very supportive. B’fast lay was average. They do not serve eggs in b’fast, nor there is an attached restaurant. All in all average hotel but does not give you value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where bath cubicle is larger. I had a room where one had to squeeze to get in and out...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

We have just returned from a three week trip to Italy during which we stayed for three nights at the Universo Hotel. The hotel has a fantastic location, 5 minutes walk from the train station (perfect if you are lugging bags around), is only a 5 minute walk to the Duomo and is situated facing a great piazza which is lovely at night but not too busy or noisy. The staff were fantastic, professional but relaxed and friendly particularly Tony on the front desk. The breakfast room was comfortable and a great breakfast and service was provided. Overall a fantastic stay!!!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the Piazza - it is nice to sit at the window and watch the world go by.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kate C
Braunston, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed for 1 night recently, and on first impression it seemed to be alright - friendly staff, good location and the room was bright and funky (maybe the decor was not to our taste, but at least it was different).

After a long drive, we literally dumped our stuff and went straight out for dinner so it was not until the next morning that we realised how bad it was. The walls were covered in black marks where people had dragged suitcases past, clearly they have not been painted in some time. This I could live with though, but when I went to have a shower, I felt sick looking at the shower head covered in black. A swipe of the tissue confirmed it was mould - how any water would be able to get through that I'm not sure (and needless to say I didn't try it), but above all this must be a huge health hazard! The bathroom was also small and badly laid out, with poor lighting.

As we were only there one night we didn't complain, just got the hell out of there!

It's a shame because the hotel probably wasn't bad when it opened, it just hasn't been maintained or cleaned properly since.

Room Tip: Book one in a different hotel!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Florence hotels

Edmonton, Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

There were 6 of us from Canada ages 12 to 77 yrs old and we all enjoyed it! We couldn't get a triple-occupancy room, so ended up staying in 3 different rooms - it was worth it. EXCELLENT location if you are travelling by train - only 5 min away WALKING distance from the main Florence Train Station (you can't beat that!). We stayed only 1 night and were quite impressed with the front desk staff and their breakfast. Definitely a memorable stay as our hotel was facing the Santa Maria Novella square.

Room Tip: Some rooms had mini-fridges, which was helpfull to keep the water cold for the hot day's weather...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three nights and can say it is the worst hotel we have stayed in. There is no way it is 3 star.
When we got shown to our room the first thing we noticed was how poorly lit it was. It felt as though we were walking into a brothel. Next we tried to lower the temp of the air conditioning as it was too warm only to find out that most of the rooms had to share one remote! My husband complained and they agreed to change our rooms the next morning to a room with a remote. Once we settled down and had a look around the room we noticed how filthy it was. The walls had black smudges everywhere there was dirt on the floor and the shower looked as though it was ready to sprout mushrooms. I refused to have a shower that day as I felt I would come out dirtier. My husband showered and could barely fit inside as it is stupidly small.the hot water reduced the pressure to a trickle so he needed to have a cold shower and actually needed to hold the shower head as even that was broken. There were wooden slats that u had to stand on that went slimy with water. The windows security door latches were glued with paint.
When we got the new room it was marginally better though the air con was still crappy and while the shower was cleaner, the water would build up and almost spill out of the shower because of poor drainage. I would have to turn off the water mid shower let it drain then turn it on again.
Breakfast was below par. Stale pastries bad fruit. The lady with the dark short curly hair serving breakfast was so rude she would slam everything as she touched it as if to make a point of how miserable she was. I could go on and on aabout how awful it was. Do not stay here. Oh forgot to mention the walls are so thin you can here the conversation happening 2 floors down and lift is days away from killing someone while inside.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank ermina04
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

I wish I listened to the negative reviews posted about this hotel prior to staying here. My bed was so hard, it would have been no different to sleep on the floor. The pillows were flat as well, resulting in a sore and stiff neck after staying for 3 nights. But that wasn't the worst of it.

My room was NOISY! There was a mechanical problem within the building that caused a loud noise to repeat every 5-7 mins, including throughout the night. I complained after attempting one night's sleep and was assured it would be fixed. After attempting a second night's sleep, the staff assured me the problem was fixed and maintenance spent 2 hours fixing the issue. It wasn't fixed. I complained again to the front staff, who didn't believe me until entering my room with me to witness it for himself. He completely agreed and said it was bad and apologized, but there was nothing he could do. They wouldn't switch rooms (apparently booked) and wouldn't offer a room at a sister hotel. When I went to check out on my 3rd and last day, I asked them to adjust my bill for my awful experience and they refused. Instead, they offered me an upgrade the next time I'm in Florence. I would NEVER return again and strongly suggest to traveller's to book elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo