“Never again !!! Very noisy terrible hotel”
Review of Hotel Genesio

Hotel Genesio
Ranked #350 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed July 3, 2011

If you see the website of GENESIO you could like the hotel, but please do not trust it.
It is very good presented BAD HOTEL. Only the location is good. The breakfast is nothing special but is enough (hot coffee, some bread, some pate and cake).
I have stayed for 2 days with my wife in double room and I could say Please do not spend your money there. I’m traveling a lot and have never felt in to such horrible place.
It is very noisy because it is on the road of ambulances, and the ambulances in Italy are extremely noisy. The room was very small and the bed was uncomfortable. I have written my name on the TV because of a lot of dust on it. The bathroom was extremely small. To take a shower you should be really very flexible.
It is too low value for money they ask.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank lily_vv
There are newer reviews for Hotel Genesio

Reviewed November 1, 2010

I needed a cheap, centrally located place to stay in Florence for 4 days while I was traveling from Paris to Central Italy. I read several forums in regards to the Hotel Genesio and ultimately decided that the price and location could not be beat.
When I arrived I found my room with en suite bathroom clean and very nice. The man at the front desk was very helpful as well, giving me a map (circling interesting points) and giving me hints as to what to do outside of Florence (like visiting the nearby town of Fisole) as well as making museum reservations.
The only problem I had was that there was, in fact, a lot of street traffic noise in the evening, but that is common for most large European cities. Nothing some travel earplugs can't fix. Ultimately, including the location and cost my stay here was well worth it.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank nnognjan
Reviewed October 20, 2010

We chose this hotel on the strength of the mostly positive internet reviews, and though it was a reasonable enough place to stay there are a few things that need pointing out as they're not immediately obvious through the hotel descriptions on the various booking sites.

The hotel is in a great location less than ten minutes' walk from Santa Maria Novella railway station, and all the main tourist sights are within easy walking distance. As others have pointed out in reviews (and isn't mentioned in the hotel literature) is that the hotel is on the second floor of a building and you have to walk up four flights of stairs to get to it. There is a lift in the building but it is not possible to take this to the hotel. We were travelling with backpacks but I wouldn't like to attempt to take cases up to the hotel.

The reception staff varied in friendliness depending on time of day - during daytime hours we dealt with a young man and a young woman who were both very pleasant and courteous, and who couldn't do enough to provide information and assistance. The hotel doors remain locked and you have to ring the bell to gain access, and the evening staff (older gentleman) appeared to be rather annoyed at having to drag himself away from the television in order to buzz us in when we returned both nights at reasonable hours - we were back by 10pm both nights so not exactly rolling in at two in the morning.

Our room was pleasant enough although the traffic noise was rather loud - the street the hotel is on is one of the busier streets in Florence, it's a bus route and also appears to be the main route that ambulances take when heading through the city so although it was quiet between about 11pm-6am there was a fair amount of traffic noise at other times and the windows just didn't shut that noise out.

Also as mentioned in other reviews the bathroom was extremely small, around 1 metre by 2 metres in total. People over about 160cm will be unable to sit on the toilet properly and will have to sit sideways, not the most comfortable way of going about things! The shower 'cubicle' was roughly a 40cm section of the bathroom partitioned from the rest of it by a shower curtain.. not much space but the shower was pretty powerful.

All in all it was a reasonable enough place to stay. We got a pretty decent online deal for the place so I'm not going to quibble, but there appeared to be dozens of other hotels within two or three blocks of this one (and of course hundreds more city wide) and there wasn't much of note that I could say really made the place stand out.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hauzen
Reviewed October 17, 2010

We booked a room for 2 nights here for our recent trip to Florence and ended up walking out and forfeiting our one night stay. For starters, I'm in the early weeks of pregnancy and when we arrived, we found out that there is no lift to this hotel, which is on the second floor of the building. There were around 4 long flights of stairs so if you are carrying heavy luggage, forget it. My husband spoke to the man in charge, who said he was the owner, and asked him why his website never stated that there were no lifts. What if we had an elderly or disabled traveller? He said his website does state it and we asked to see his website. After which he fumbled and said - that's your problem, too bad, you should have read the comments. (Note: there is no space for comments on his website so I assume this refers to forums like Tripadvisor?) Every other hotel and tour agent we spoke to in Italy said that hotels should state on their website if there are no lifts or handicap facilities.

My husband asked to see our room and he gave him the keys, to which my husband was horrified to see the bed unmade and someone's luggage in the room. When approached, the owner brushed it off and removed the occupant's bag, saying oh he'll come back for it later. We were shocked - he's obviously more interested in profits than respecting the privacy or well being of his patrons. I wouldn't want anyone from the hotel coming into my room and removing my belongings!

The only plus about this place is the location - but if you haven't been to Florence, there are HEAPS and I mean HEAPS of other hotels on the street and nearby. We ended up staying at Hotel Piccadilly across the road, which was clean, run by nice honest people and the rooms were much larger. The rooms at Genesio were small and the common toilet that we visited wasn't clean. You can tell a lot from the level of care from looking at the public spaces - if you are on a budget, don't ever stay here.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
8  Thank GourmetTravel
Reviewed October 2, 2010

Did not not like the hotel, I had to change to this hotel halfway through my trip as I extended my stay in Florence and my original hotel was full.

The Hotel was dark and dingy which made it seem dirty. The staff were very nice and breakfast was just OK. Very very noisy, from the rooms TV's blaring, every cough and sneeze from the neighbours and every shower and flush of a toilet could be heard. Worst culprits were the night porters, they had no guilt in banging around and talking loudly.

That said i got a good deal for the room at 44 euros, and it was as clean as it could be given the age of the building, it just needs brightning up, the walls in the bedroom were covered in squashed mosquito blood, and there were 4 or 5 in there when i arrived. Shower was a wetroom that soaked the floor and toilet seat, but plenty of clean towels. Location was OK on a busy road byt only 10 minutes from the Medici Chapel and Duomo.

I'm a budget traveller and never pay a lot, but would not stay here again, my previous Hotel was a similar price and only 1 star but much better. But again staff were very helpful and friendly

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank jessybobs
Reviewed July 29, 2010

The location of this hotel is great. About a ten minute walk from both the station and the Duomo.
Staff were very friendly and helpful.
The rooms are a good size, clean and nicely decorated with air conditioning. Our rooms were at the back so we didn't hear the street, however I could hear some noise coming from other rooms.
The hotel is on the second floor and there is no lift. Both me and my 58 year old father found the climb quite manageable but it would not be ideal for older people.
Bed was very comfortable, towels were good and changed regularly.
The bathrooms are small, more like wet-rooms. My bathroom was perfectly fine but my father's had a bidet right in front of the toilet which made it a bit cramped.
My only real complaint would be regarding the breakfast which was the same every day and did not include anything fresh. It was edible but not particularly nice - processed cheese, uht milk, cereal, stale bread, pre-packaged pastries and jam.
However, the problems with this hotel are far outweighed by the benefits. We had a really lovely stay and, for the price, we would definitely go again.

• Stayed: July 2010
2  Thank Elephant86
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We had a nice experience staying here specially because of the location of the hotel,its nice and extremely friendly staff and its homely atmosphere!We felt as if we were at home!Simone is so very helpful that one can depend on him for everything!We agree that the bathroom was not adequate,it was too small and that the AC was also a bit noisy but still I would consider the negatives to be nothing compared to the atmosphere of the hotel!we would like to return here again!yet another negative point is the lift,if Simone could arrange something it would be perfect!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple