“Great choice”
Review of Hotel Bijou

Hotel Bijou
Ranked #285 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Two weeks ago we stopped in Florence for a day. We were very lucky to find a vacant room near the train station because all the hotels in downtown were full. Our room was very cozy and clean, with balcony too: it's very useful if you are a smoker! We slept very well there. Also, the staff were friendly and polite: great choice!

Room Tip: Room #2 is very large and equipped with balcony
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Bijou

Reviewed September 7, 2012

My Godson and I had an excellent week staying at Hotel Bijou.

The staff were very friendly and welcoming - including the cleaner!
Location very good, rooms immaculately
clean, beds comfortable, air con good.

Would happily stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My friend and I spent one night here and we couldn't wait to leave.
The shared bathroom was dirty, and there was no bathmat so the floor was a deathtrap. There were two of us, but only one towel as the other towel seemed to have been used to catch the drips from the air conditioning (incidentally, we weren't able to have control of the air con, we had to go to reception to get them to change it.)
Also, we came back in the evening and the whole building smelled like excrement, not exactly what we look for in a "hotel".
24 hour reception is good, as is location, but that's about all there is to say about it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank PElephant
etrusco66, Direttore at Hotel Bijou, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Our replies to your "bizarre" review, full of errors and falsenesses:
Nobody obliged you to stay here: if you did not like our hotel, you could leave immediately, before entering the room.
You say the shared bathroom was dirty: of course, shared bath means you pay less but you have to use this bath along with other people, and a lot of guests use it in an inappropriate way; of course, the hotel is not responsible for that. If you found dirty bathroom, you could inform our concierge (at Hotel Bijou reception is open 24 HOURS A DAY), and simply he would have solved this problem by cleaning the shared bathroom and giving you a bathmat, that's all.
About air conditioning and towels: of course, if A/C was faulty and you need another towel, you could inform our concierge (at Hotel Bijou reception is open 24 HOURS A DAY), and simply he would have solved this problem by giving another towel and repairing the breakdown.
About air conditioning remote control: unfortunately, a lot of guests steal and break remote controls o use them in an inappropriate way, so we can not leave them in the rooms; but we turn on air conditioning and adjust it for everybody. Of course, we did it for you too. If you wanted to turn down or turn up the temperature, you could ask the receptionis at any time: at Hotel Bijou concierge service is 24 HOURS A DAY.
About you complaint regarding excrement smell: apart from the fact that the Hotel Bijou is located on the third floor of a three floors building (so clearly it does not occupy the entire building), anyone can well understand that your statement is highly offensive and slanderous, even against the administrator of our condominium: the building is cleaned every day, and if you have found droppings in the street near the building where our hotel is, obviously the Hotel Bijou is not responsible for that! The administration in charge of the streets is the City of Florence, so you had to send your complaint to the municipal authorities, not to the Hotel Bijou!
For these reasons, we reject your false, offensive and slanderous accusation; also , we reject your entire review because made with clear bad faith. Finally, you could solve all your problems simply inform us and asking us at the hotel reception. You chose another way, we don't know if this one is the right way: surely we did not get out of this review. You neither.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

I thank you for the terrific stay in your hotel. We enjoyed the clean and big rooms and the good atmosphere. We could park the car 2 minutes away from the hotel
and then we walked to the centre in 5 minutes. You see it is very near!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2012

The hotel is just 5 mins walk to the train station and also within walking distance to most of the attractions in Florence. Room is spacious with all the basic necessities. Door knob is the old fashion type where you can only lock the room from inside if you have the key.
The only downside is we happen to get a room that is adjacent to the shared bathroom and I could hear noise from the bathroom each time someone uses it and this can be very annoying, especially in the middle of the night or early in the morning. But then again, you get what you paid for.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

I'm really not sure how you could walk around for an hour an a half trying to find this place given that if you walk to the end of the street (coming from the hotel) and turn right, you're looking at the Santa Maria Novella train station.... but hey, it happens, people get lost. We did, but only because we'd walked for 45 minutes in the opposite direction to get to a B&B where the owner was out all day and we couldn't check in!
All we wanted was somewhere to sleep and a place to wash. We got an en-suite room with TV for 50 euros and given the proximity to the train station and the facilities available, we were happy with that. The bed was comfy, the room was big and clean and I didn't have to put 5 cents in the elevator to get our baggage upstairs so I was happy. It was nothing special, but it was good for what we wanted.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Hotel Bijou
This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. It was a nightmare. PLEASE DON’T STAY here if you like to be confortable and good quality. It’s better to sleep on the train station or the street instead to stay at this hotel.
I would NOT recommend this TRAP at all. Expedia should remove this hotel from their site, it’s a plenty SCAM, gave my money for nothing. It was definitely the LOWEST point of our trip. Aside from being very conveniently located next to the train station

This Hotel was booked online thru EXPEDIA and choose by the trip advisor reviews (which are totally wrong). We booked a double bed (queen). When we arrived the reception (a guy) who were NOT friendly at all and very rude.. We were assigned for a double twin bedroom upstairs and I immediately told to the front desk guy that my husband is a handicapped person we can’t stay upstairs and he offered us a small room downstairs but separate twin bed, so since we didn’t have many choice we accepted his offer.
The room was tiny and there was no air conditioning. Our room was on the street side so we knew street sounds would keep us awake. The worst part was we didn’t see any bathrooms inside the room which was inconvenient and we asked for that and he told us “You have to go upstairs for shower, because the shower downstairs has not hot water” OMG! One of the bathrooms had a flooded floor, the shower you barely can bend out to rub your legs, you have to open the door of the shower to do it.
The first day after I took shower in the morning, after I took shower going back to my room downstairs, I slipped on the steps (Concrete) and I fell, so I hit my back (Thanks GOD I didn’t hit my head) and I couldn’t move at all, I yell several times and cried but nobody helped me and heard me at all. The sad part is that my husband couldn’t hear either because he was in the room or it was away from the stairs. I have evidence and have the pictures to prove the significant damage on of all my shots in my body, as I got up on my own little by little until I walked back to my room, my husband was so nervous since he saw me in pain. As you can see it ruined my day to attending at the sightseen sites that we planned for the day. Immediately I reported to the guy in the front desk and he just simple replied “ Sorry to hear that, be more careful next time”…..Can you believe it?
• They charge you for 5 euros to use the Internet (Not very Handy).
• There was cable TV with mainly Italian channels and no fridge.
• The location was good – literally 2 minutes from the station
• The room was NASTY, they don’t change the bed sheet every day, they kept the same for the two nights we stayed.
• It is a 10 minute walk to the Duomo
• There are two shared restrooms on this main floor. The showerhead in the bathroom
• No private Bath

3  Thank SFO2012

It 's very sad to see people waste time on Internet to write inaccuracies and falsehoods. The first falsehood is your title, you say that the Hotel Bijou is the worst in the world (Gosh! Who knows how bad we were towards you...), but then you contradict your statement immediately saying that it's the worst you visited (obviously, you could not visit all the hotels of the world). Another great falsehood is about the lack of air conditioning in your room: we are sorry for you, but at the Hotel Bijou all rooms have air conditioning, also the room where you stayed is equipped with A/C. The room that you booked has not a private bathroom because you have booked a double room (double bed) with shared bathroom, WIFI not included, breakfast not included, city tax not included: you knew that very well. A double room (double bed) with shared bathroom is upstairs, if you wanted a room for a disabled person to avoid stairs you had to call the hotel some days before arrival, but you did not do that: so, when you arrived here, we could only propose you a twin room with external bath (that costs more than a room with double bed) at no extra charge, and you accepted it. Of course, shared bath means you pay less but you have to use this bath along with other people, and a lot of guests use it in an inappropriate way; of course, the hotel is not responsible for that. If you wanted a room with more services, private bathroom, WIFI, etc., you had to ask the front desk to change rooms, pay more money, or choose a high-class hotel: it is useless to write a nonsense novel to "avenge" on a hotel, obviously the hotel do not earn a cent but the guests neither.