“Delighted with my visit!”

San Frediano Mansion
Ranked #277 of 661 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I visited Florence for nine nights in October 2011. I wanted to be within walking distance of S.M. Novella train station, and I wanted to be in the Oltrarno section of Florence, as to me, it is the most interesting; and I wanted to be able to walk to all the museums+palazzos I intended to visit. This was my second visit to Florence this year, so I knew what I wanted...art, music, good food, and convenient location to all. San Frediano Mansion met all the geographical requirements and were prompt about their replies to my questions. But when I arrived there (10 minute walk from station) I knew I had found my 'home away from home' for my subsequent trips to Florence. Tiziana and Piero couldn't have been kinder, more cordial, or more pleasant. I was lucky enough to have one of the rooms with painted ceiling and view of the Arno (there are only a couple of these). You can't ask for better than this!!!

I am an American who lives in Europe, and I think it is fair to say that Americans are picky about cleanliness, the mattress, and the shower in our accommodations when traveling. San Frediano Mansion passes with flying colors on all three! The breakfasts are provided at a congenial cafe around the corner, with excellent cappuccino and an assortment of sandwiches and pastries. I also like fresh fruit and yogurt for my breakfast, so asked the B+B when I made the booking, if they had rooms with a small fridge, and was given one. This gave me just the breakfast I wanted to have enough 'fuel' for a long morning and early afternoon of sightseeing and walking. The cafe is two doors from one of the best gelaterias in Florence, and right next to the Ponte Caraia. It couldn't have been more perfect for me, and I look forward to returning to San Frediano Mansion on my next visit to Florence - which will be soon, I hope! : )

Room Tip: If light is important to you, or a painted ceiling+view of the Arno, I'm sure you have to book e...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed July 19, 2011

We give this bed and breakfast some very high and some not so great marks. The staff was very friendly and helpful - they helped us sign up for tours, make restaurant reservations, and call for a cab when needed. The room was also quite large - we had two rooms for two of us, one a kitchen with a sizeable table and couch (the fridge was a definite plus since the B&B didn't offer breakfast, so I could keep yogurt for the mornings), and the other a bedroom with bath. The location was fine - about a ten minute walk to the train station and ten in the other direction to the Ponte Vecchio, and there was free wireless internet in the main entrance room. However, there were some less than appetizing parts of our stay - the walls were covered in spots, which we soon realized were mosquito remains (there were many mosquitoes both in Florence and in our room!), and there was black mold growing in the shower, which was only tiled up to about elbow height and the rest just normal painted wall. The air conditioning was also not very good, and we were asked to turn it off when we were not there, so our room got very hot between when we left in the morning and when we came back in the evening.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mer3005
Reviewed July 13, 2011

When I travel I usually don't spend a lot of money on hotels--because I don't spend that much time in them and I want to use my money on experiences/food/siteseeing/etc. But I DO want to stay in a place that is CLEAN, well located, air conditioned, has free wifi, and friendly service. San Frediano Mansion hits the nail on the head every time for these conditions and for me it is a fantastic bargain.

I traveled with a friend, and we wanted separate beds--our room (which was #2) was VERY specious and included a king-sized bed (two twins smushed together) and a separate twin bed. This particular room is in the back, and was very quiet at night--no street noise. The bathroom is very spacious and has an oversized shower, bidet, etc. The floors and carpet were very clean. The room included a safety box and a minibar (which I never use, however). It is on the second floor of an old building in the Oltrarno, and has an elevator to reach it. Or you can walk up a large grand staircase.

The only experience I had that was a little questionable---when I wrote to them about a room and to get a rate, they quoted a rate that was Euro 20 higher than what was posted on their website. I kept insisting on the rate as advertised, and even booked using the automated system online. And so, I got the advertised rate. I would have appreciate more consistency between my private emails with them and their quoted web rates.

Speaking of rates: the rate of Euro 60 for this accommodation was outstanding! If you are looking for a good ratio of price and amenities, in Florence, you will find it here.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 28, 2011

The San Frediano Mansio was by far the best place we stayed in Italy. The room was huge with a great view of the Arno river. It had a pretty large on-suite bathroom with a standing shower. The staff was helpful (even helped up buy soccer tickets) and friendly. Breakfast was included as a "ticket" to purchase food and a beverage around the corner from the hotel. It was my favorite place for breakfast in Italy.

Room Tip: If you are tall ask for Room 7 (large bed)
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2011

This place was suggested by a friend. It is only a 10 minute walk to the train station and all the major sites in Florence that are just across the river. The room was basic and no frills but for the price and location it was great. Restaurants are nearby. We were only there to sleep but would consider another place if we were planning to stay in the room. The room was dark with heavy curtains that were broken so you couldn't open them for light. We didn't have a view anyway. The ceiling had a glass cut out in it so you could see the ornately painted mansion ceiling above it. With the high electricity in Italy, I guess they lowered the ceiling to help save expenses.

My boyfriend and I liked the entrance old doors with the heavy locks and gate so you got a more historic feel than a chain hotel but the interior (other than the lobby) was budget looking. Owner was very helpful and friendly. We would stay again for the location and price.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2011

Found the hotel by car with gps with not much problem. Our room was right off the reception, I forget which number. The room was huge, but the window handles were taped together so that it would neither open. Neither would the shades, so it was really a big dark cave. Maybe the other rooms are great, but if you get this one...it was either 1 or 2, until the window opens it is really pretty bad. The receptionist was pretty nice, but she didn't really elaborate too much on the parking arrangements since she was busy on the cell phone. So I immediately got ripped off of 15 Euros in the parking lot a block away by a gypsy pretending to be the attendant. I tried asking passersby if he was legit, since I had a bad feeling about him, but there wasn't anyone else parking and the people walking by had no clue. After that incident, and when my wife finally saw the room, we just decided to leave since they didn't have any others available. (We had already spent a day in Florence) The afternoon receptionist let us cancel and didn't charge us, which was quite nice. Long story short...this might be a great B&B, but until they fix the window in that room, be advised. And the parking is SELF-SERVICE, don't allow anyone to bring you a ticket and ask for money up front. Alternately, the receptionist will have someone get the car and park it for you for 20 Euros, although she didn't mention that to me when I asked about parking. So, if you see a short guy delivering parking tickets in the lot a block west of the hotel accompanied by a short woman with billowing skirts hovering nearby pretending not to be with him, don't take the ticket and don't give him any money for parking. You can tell him, however, that I left the coat I stole from him on a dumpster in Monterrosso in the Cinque Terre. I would have sold it back to him for 15 Euros, but he never came back. But that's another story.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Bzulu
Reviewed January 10, 2011

We really liked this place. It felt as if we were staying in a grand family home with our own set of keys. Very reasonbly priced also.

We had the apartment type room, with our own private front door (after getting through the main security gate and massive front door on the ground floor). We had our own living room, seperate bedroom with onsuite bathroom. The only downside was the toilet was out in the hallway, still within our apartment but would be nice to have to toilet in the onsuite (as i am a bit of a chicken and would not go out to the loo on my own in the middle of the night and made my hubby accompany me!) :-)

Very cosy and clean. Perfect location - around 10 minute walk from the train station, although I would reccommend getting a taxi when you first arrive as we managed to take the long way to the hotel but found the short cut after we familiarised ourselves with the beautiful city. The hotel is not manned overnight, but if you were to arrive late, you are provided with mobile numbers to let the staff know when you are due to arrive. We did not have a problem with the hotel not being manned, like i said earlier, it felt as if we were home from home and could come and go as we pleased. We felt security is not an issue either, you need 3 seperate keys for three doors before you actually get in. Staff are there during the day. Don't forget to get your breakfas vouchers for the cafe around the corner, even though the San Frediano Mansion states that they are a B&B, breakfast is actually served at the cafe - 1 minte walk away. Coffee and parties to die for!

I thoroughly reccommend the San Frediano Mansions, the staff are brilliant and really helpful (especially Simona). I would love to go back x

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple