“Room with a view”
Review of Hotel Bretagna

Hotel Bretagna
Ranked #126 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Hotel Bretagna is in the best possible location for your stay in Florence. The staff was helpful beyond the call of duty and the breakfast was excellent. My bed was HARD which caused some back pain, but this is better than too soft.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Bretagna

Reviewed October 21, 2012

This hotel will fulfill all your expectations at a reasonable price. The rooms are beautiful, the service is wonderful, the breakfast is elegant and it is right on the Arno one bridge away from Ponte Vecchio. My friends and I swooned over this lovely little gem. I can't wait to bring my husband back here.

Room Tip: The rooms with a view are for more than one person. So, come with a friend or a partner. My little s...
1  Thank Annie L
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This is the first time I have ever taken the time to write a review online. I am a frequent traveller that has seen much of the world and stayed in many hotels. I feel that it is necessary for me to recognize the excellence of this hotel. First of all the staff at this hotel go above and beyond to ensure that you enjoy your stay there. I am 25 years old and was traveling on my own this summer, the Staff especially (Martina) spent a lot of time planning my visit in Florence, as well as making great recommendations for my future travels in italy. I can honestly say that I was extremely shocked with how amazing they were. I work in the customer service industry and I look up to the way that the staff treated me at Hotel Bretagna. On top of the amazng staff the location is absolutely beautiful and the hotel is extremely clean. There is honestly nothing bad that I can say about it, except that you have to see it to believe it. Thank you so much to the Staff at Hotel Bretagna, especially Martina.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Old, very tired hotel. Only positive is location. Front desk staff are very nice and friendly. However, the rooms are very spartan, basic, simple but at least clean. We were lucky to get a room over the Arno. No bell staff to get your luggage upstairs (lobby is on second floor with tiny 'lift' and no help with parking a car out front. Breakfast simple, basic and in a small plain room. There have got to be tons of better options. Really not worth saving the money for this very antiquated place.

Room Tip: Demand a view of the Arno; if not, look elsewhere. In fact, look elsewhere anyway
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mark G
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We spent a week at the hotel; we found the staff excellent, very pleasant and ready to help.
Breakfast was buffet style, with plenty of choice, although the only warm food available was scrambled egg and frankfurter -type sausages.
Our room was good, but would benefit from having the facility to make your own tea / coffee. The location was excellent, very close to the Ponte Vecchia, and overlooking the river Arno.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This hotel is on the Arno about 2 blocks from the Ponte Vecchio so you can walk to everything of interest in Florence. The staff is outstanding - friendly, helpful with advice about very good, medium priced restaurants and tourist sites.We emailed them in advance of our visit and they made reservations for us at the Uffizi and the Accademia Gallery which saved us from waiting in line. The rooms are large and colorful - this is an old palazzo. Especilly at sunrise and sunset the view from their balcony overlooking the Arno is scenic and worth checking out for memoriable photos.
If you arrive by train, as we did, and your luggage is on wheels this hotel is within walking distance from the train station.

Room Tip: the superior rooms are substantially larger and nicer than the standard rooms - the historical junio...
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The Hotel Bretagna, in Florence, was perfectly situated right on the banks of the Arno, within a very short walk of the Ponte Vecchio, the Duomo and all the other wonderful sights of this very special city. I arrived late at night, by arrangement, and was met with great courtesy and kindness. My room - for a single traveller - was surprisingly spacious and had a view over a typical Florentine courtyard and over red-tiled rooftops. The bathroom was separate, down a short corridor, but was for my sole private use. This Hotel is in an old Palazzo, so has good proportions and high ceilings, giving a feeling of spaciousness. The bed was comfortable. Breakfast the next morning was really good - a wide choice of hot eggs and cold meats and cheeses, fresh fruit, cereals, yogurts..... After a good tuck-in I was ready to hit the streets to explore Florence on foot.. I was able to leave my bag in the hotel for the day, before heading off to my next destination.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo