“A great spacious value fironey apt in Florence”

Residence Porta al Prato
Ranked #98 of 325 Specialty Lodging in Florence
Reviewed June 1, 2012 via mobile

The residency apt block of apt is designed for travellers and I must say I was very impressed the the size of the apt. Two bedrooms living room with dining area kitchen and bathroom for €90 a night . (not per person ). Fabulous value for money. The rooms are divided by partitions rather than walls but ideal if keeping a ear out for the kids. Also curtains for privacy not doors but was fair for only two of us travelling but if sharing with mates or another couple ... could be embarrassing. Towels and shower soaps all included. There is a 24 hour reception also which for security was excellent. We arrived at 11 am from Venice and check in was 2pm. Bags all made safe and looked after at reception until check in. A walk in to old Florence takes about 40 mins if you wish which we did by following the river and into the old part where all the tourists swarmed. However team stop 5 mins away direct to train station or bus stops close by to apt. The staff were very nice and spoke thankfully good english as my Italian was not good.

The apt is a great place to stay away from the tourist area and the hassle but close enough to get to when needed.
I would highly recommend this apt as a safe location to stay for all couples and with children. I would defo stay again if I returned to Florence . Regards and enjoy your stay. Danny783

• Stayed: June 2012

Reviewed May 26, 2012

The rooms and overall size was much larger than a hotel, and the cost was about the same (it was less than a hotel room). We were able to spread out some in the large living room and if we wanted to cook we could. We ended up not using the kitchen much, but its nice as an option if you are staying there for a week or so. The location is a bit far from the tourist attractions downtown. It was a quick 2 min walk to the metro train (or the C2, C3 bus) and you were downtown in 10 minutes total (walk + waiting for train + train ride). The GOOD thing was that its very quiet. No police cars, people yelling drunk outside etc like staying downtown. You can get a good nights sleep here no prob.

Room Tip: We booked a single room and were upgraded to a two room apartment at no cost.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 10, 2012

The appartment was spacious but everything was a bit old and not very well maintained. The equipment in the kitchen was about OK, but the absorber was missing. The bathroom was big and clean, but overall I have stayed in cleaner hotels. The staff was helpful, providing all needed information and help.
There is a parking available, but you have to pay additionally 10 euro per day. It totally worth it, because it’s a real private garage, with limited access and option to stop your car within the yard or in the underground part.
The location is the best about this place. It’s only 20 minutes away from the center of the city. We’ve literaly didn’t use public transport or car at all! There is also a very nice restaurant near by – “Il Pinolo”. Even though it’s not the best place I’ve been, I still would recommend it for a tourist visit of Florence.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the street can be noicy
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Went for a one week Easter holiday with my family [family of 4]. The apartment i slarge enough and is kept clean. Cleaning is carried out every day. It is only 20 min away-on foot- from the centre of Florence [the old part]. We enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: I think teh best rooms to choos eare those overlooking the yard, as there would be less traffic soun...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 25, 2012

My sister and I stayed at Residence Porta al Prato for 5 days in May 2011 and found it very comfortable and more than adequate. The thing that impressed me most was the excellent service Sandra provided from the first email I sent from Australia enquiring about accomodation for the two of us.

The staff at the Residence were happy to assist us with the best places to shop for groceries and buy gelato!

It was a pleasant walk to the Arno River and the centre. Actually it was an easy walk to many great spots in the area. The Hop on Hop off bus is a must when you are travelling as you see places you may otherwise miss and you are able to "hop on and hop off" at various sights. Our apartment at the Residence had a bath that we could relax in after a day of sightseeing.

The bus tour to Siena, San Gimignano and Pisa was probably the best thing we did while in Florence and I would highly recommend it.

I would happily return to Residence Porta al Prato.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I stayed in this residence for a week in July. I had my doubts when I booked it, because it could be far from the centre. But then I thought: never mind, you can walk everyday about 30 minutes in the morning is this beautiful town. Unfortunatelly, it was not so far from the centre (I was in a formazione, very near to the Santa Maria Fiore), and in 20 minutes I was at my "school", after a coffe in Santa Maria Maggiore square.
The apartmentes are ok in size and cleaning (they make it every day). The receptionists are very very helpfull. You really feel you have a house in Florence. Than there are some advantages in stayng not in the centre: you have good restaurants, at a nice price. My favourite was "Pinolo" 50 metres from the hotel. Don+t miss it. Very good food, well served. A restaurant for the middle-low class in Florence.
Just one thing: in the apartment there are really not many kitchen acessories, so it will be difficult to make your own food (of course you have dishes for everybody, but no pots or pans). No problem: you go to Pinolo or some other just around the corner.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Fernando É
Reviewed December 9, 2011

this hotel looks like it has the makings to be a wonderful place to stay. it's alot of DIY however. if you ask the right questions, you will get better service from the staff. it's VERY spacious! it did seem as though it needed to be aired out. it was a bit stuffy but the breeze was very nice and took care of that. this is the biggest place i have ever stayed at in europe. it's a bit of a hike to ponte vecchio and all the touristy type attractions, but it's still very old-style italy and very quaint. if you are in florence for a short stay you may want to re-think staying here for distance purposes. otherwise, i would definitely consider staying here again because it was very nice and nicely staffed. it's in close proximity to grocery stores and atms and the train station too.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family