“Hidden Gem”

Ranked #150 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Chicago, Illinois
“Hidden Gem”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Finding the right button to call the front desk from the street (Via del Giglio) was the most difficult part, and only because you are distracted from being in such a new and beautiful area. The service was great the the complimentary breakfast in the morning was very nice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Primo155

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Hong kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

I have meant to post a review for Burchianti the day after we left. As it turned out, we did not have the use of the Internet for the last leg of our European trip until I got home. We stayed with the Burchianti for 2 nights and were truly grateful for their service rendered. The gentleman and the old lady made us feel family. It's too bad that I have forgotten their names but the gentleman is probably the owner and a younger gentleman who worked nights was his son. The old lady, we were told, was not related to them. It is amazing how someone that you have met in such a short period can make a dent in your memory. The room that we have, accommodated our family of 4. 'Are we in a museum?' My younger daughter remarked when we entered our room. The ceiling was high with a fresco painted nicely in it. Spacious room, four poster beds, good breakfast, nice coffee, a safe in the room and concise information for directions and restaurant are all the pros you can expect from them. We had asked for hot tea at night and were immediately catered to. The older gentleman showed care and heart and the old lady really reminded me of my late mother. On the day we left, we took a picture with them which I will post later. Of all the places I have been to, I have to say Burchianti outrank them all.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lena f
So Cal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

We traveled from Rome to Florence by train and had booked a room at Burchianti. The location is ideal and we were easily able to walk from the station (with luggage) to the hotel. Walking up to the gate and being buzzed into the hotel was so charming!! From Burchianti, we were able to walk absolutely everywhere. So easy!

We had booked one of the frescoed rooms that accommodated our family of four. The room was huge, with a lovely bathroom. We were traveling with our two teens and when we all walked into the room – well, we were left speechless. Our dream trip became literal at that moment. I cannot express how amazing the room was. Easily, it is the most beautiful room I have ever been in – anywhere.

That said, the kindness and professionalism of the staff equaled the room. Mario, the manager, and his son were helpful and attentive. They took time to explain the history of the building and give tips for the best use of our time. We appreciated them so much.
I am looking forward to my next stay at the Burchianti. It could not come soon enough. Thank you for being a part of our amazing European Adventure… and for providing us with unforgettable memories.

With fondness – Gwen Almeida (John, Hannah & Garrett, also!)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Gwen A
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

This is a unique and charming hotel, sort of like a B & B. The charismatic owner runs the place from morning until night. I stayed there 5 nights this month. He either catered to my every whim or left me alone, whatever I wanted. yes, the single rooms are small...it's Europe..No smaller than any other place. If you want larger and you're traveling solo then break out the Euros. And the breakfast is just fine. Great location off a side street so it's quiet but near everything. I rarely post reviews so I wanted to for The Burchianti. Best service of any hotel in Italy and Greece in which I spent 5 weeks. I hope to return and will stay here again, thanks to the professionalism and care of the owner.

Room Tip: He showed me one of the larger rooms with frescoes. Looked fabulous and I'd probably splurge for...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank oshckyby
vancouver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

Well, this is a long overdue review as i have been in this hotel last summer 2011 on june for 4 days. I am a solo traveller and have been quite often in Europe so am used to small hotel rooms in Europe but this one surpassed my experience and that is not in a good way.I reserved this place based on TP reviews and also due to recommendation from a TP member emphasizing that this is a perfect place, a lesson learned as people taste differs so always go with your own guts.

Pros for this hotel: Location , close to Duomo , shops, eating and touristic sights , train etc etc so the location makes it wery convenient. Mario the owner is average , was supposed to make reservations etc for the museum ticket but did nothing ,( which actually worked in my favor) so althoough he seems nice but i was not impressed.
However, there was a young guy working some shifts who seemed really to care and try to fix things and was quite helpful.

Price , was told that the price was great for the location but then when you see the single room you realize it is too much for what you get.

There stops the pros...and now the cons: extremely small room like a prison with no real window , the window opens to a passage where you can see people feet only. shower/bathroom again very small and not at all convenient. Asked for a better room , Mario gave me a much higher price .

Breakfast a very very basic continental one nothing to care about.

Place is hard to find by yourself , tough my taxi driver did not seem to have any problems.

The 1st impression was an old italian building with sewage smell.it looks charming though but no fresco in the single room and somehow outdated place.

Cleanliness: average left something on the floor as a test ( a pin) was there the whole time , also some dust stayed there the whole time ..cleaning lady would just do some basics(rubbish bin etc) and that was it.
Will i stay there again , answer is a strong NO and will not recommend it to others...Florence is full of nice well located hotels and bed and breakfasts you just need to do your homework in advance and do reservations early enough,

Room Tip: Do not take the single room ...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank mooshi007
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed here 6 nights in the Fresco room (#5 I believe). The first night we arrived late, but not a problem. They had us stay upstairs in the Residenza Castiglioni which was also really nice. Hotel Burchianti, Residenza Castiglioni and Alloro are 3 B&Bs in one building. Not sure if it's run by the same family? Anyways, Burchianti is on the first floor - meaning two flights up stairs to get to the first floor (don't worry, there is a TINY elavator for your luggage - fits one person and one bag). The location is very convenient to the train/bus station and to the Duomo and other areas. The hotel is very clean and so is the bathroom. The continental breakfast was ok - remember Italians tend to eat bread/pastry in the morning. The cappuccino and Cafe Americano were delicious! The two ladies that work there make the coffee.
The host (the gentleman, I can't remember his name!) was super nice and gave us good advice on traveling. He told us to take the bus to Siena (1h 10mins) and it drops you off right in town. Otherwise the train station is at the bottom of town and is a 3 kilometer hike or you have to take a bus anyways (train is 1hr 30 mins). And boy am I glad we took the bus! Siena is a HILL CITY! Back to Florence - Ciro and Sons is decent for dinner and about 20 feet from the hotel if you're too tired to walk like we were one night.
One thing to mention - the hotel will ask you to pay the tax on the room in CASH upon departure. I don't know why, but they did this to everyone. The city tax they charge separate from the room. Also, you can ask for a Frommer's discount and you'll get 5 Euro off your room :-) I would stay here again.
A few wierd things happened to us - a drunk teenager/young adult couldn't remember that his parents room was next to ours and at 3:30 a.m. kept trying to use his key in our door. Another time we were napping and the woman in the room next to us (same family) just bardged right in and was like "oh, this isn't my room! sorry!". I don't know why they had a hard time remember that their room was to the right, and ours was straight. There were only two rooms in that wing -_-

Room Tip: Fresco room is big and has two closets.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

This is a neat hotel on the 2nd floor of a former residence. All of the rooms are unique and many include fresco paintings on the ceiling. Our room was quite large and had two twin beds pushed together to create a king. The bathroom was a decent size and clean, but somewhat dated. The AC didn't work very well and our room never did get very cool. They do have free wifi, but it didn't work half the time.

It is very close to the train station, making it extremely easy to get there without the need for a taxi. It is also very close to the Duomo and other major sites in Florence.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple