“Twice In Five Years”

Alessandro Cammilli Private Tours
Ranked #6 of 170 Food & Drink in Florence
More attraction details
Owner description: Hello and thanks! I am available for day trips, wine tours, shore excursions and transfers. I hope to see you soon in Tuscany, ciao!
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I (in our 50's) recently spent our second wonderful day with Alessandro having toured with him during our last trip to Florence five years ago. When we booked this most recent trip, reaching out to Ale to secure another wonderful day with him was one of the first things I did. And I'm happy to report that our second time with him did not disappoint!

As other have said, he is knowledgeable, extremely accommodating, very professional and just fun to spend the day with. And I felt completely safe driving with him all day. If you are the type of person who wants to get out of the city and tour the amazingly beautiful countryside in Italy but don't like large tour groups, a day (or two) with Ale is the perfect solution. You set your own agenda; you can spend as little or as much time at any stop as you would like; you can enjoy some amazing wine and tour the breathtaking hill towns of Tuscany all in the same day.

I'm not sure when we'll be able to make it back to Florence. But when we do, a day with Ale will certainly be on the agenda!

3  Thank Dolode
in 7 reviews
"tuscan countryside"
in 26 reviews

Reviewed July 20, 2013

During out trip to Tuscany last September we spent two days with Alessandro and loved them both. We have already booked 2 more days with him for our upcoming trip which should tell you something.

I found Ale through TA and wasn't sure what to expect. However, I quickly learned he is the ultimate professional. He responds to emails very quickly, and given how many emails I sent him with questions, I appreciated his patience.

Our first day was a tour of the Chianti Wine region. We arranged for him to pick us up at the station in Florence. As promised, he was at the end of the platform when we arrived. He first showed us amazing views from the hills just outsight of Florence. Then we were on to Greve and Radda and various wineries. To be honest, we went so many places that we don't remember the names of the towns and wineries. If you do this area, make sure he takes you to the estate where Much Ado About Nothing was filmed - beautiful! It was an awesome day. At the end, he dropped us off at our hotel in Cortona.

Day 2 he picked us up at our hotel in Florence. First stop was Lucca where we spent a bit of time seeing the city and then onto Pisa to the Leaning Tower, etc. He then transferred us to the airport for our flight.

One thing we loved about Ale was that he was always well prepared, recommending stops, restaurants and such. In Lucca he provided a city map with a recommended route and stops. He is very friendly and helpful; he is not an actual guide but is extremely knowledgeable and best of all, reliable!

We can't wait for our next round with Ale.

2  Thank SarahInSoCal
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We had a wonderful day with Alessandro if you want to do a day trip in and around Florence do not hesitate to go with Alessandro.We only wanted a photo stop at Tower of Pisa Ale had us there before anyone the little stores were just opening as we were about to leave. The on to Florence he gave us a map gave us some free time then met us as expected had tickets and instant entrance to the Statue of David. As we did not want a full day in Florence we then headed out into the Tuscany country to a winery and a great little place for lunch above a butchers shop fantastic experience.
We left everything in Ale's hands and we saw so much fantastic tour and cheaper than ships tour.

2  Thank Gregory K
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband and I (30 year-old couple) spent two weeks in Italy in May 2013. Our day with Alessandro was EASILY one of our favorite days of our entire trip. We can not speak highly enough of Alessandro and the wonderful day he planned!

(I tend to get wordy, and if you don't want to read my entire review, here is the snapshot of everything we got to see/do/taste in one day: Piazzale Michelangelo, San Gimignano, Monteriggioni, Siena, Radda in Chianti, Vèscine winery at the Castelvecchi castle, Fattoria Montagliari (for lunch) and the Montagliari winery, Greve in Chianti, and Castello Vicchiomaggio. YES, that IS possible all in ONE DAY). Please see my detailed review below. Our day was SO WONDERFUL I had a very difficult time containing myself!

I first contacted Ale via e-mail in March 2013 to see if he was available on one of the days my husband and I were planning to be in Florence in May 2013. I had read reviews of various "Tuscany Tours" and "Wine Tours" online (on Trip Advisor & various other sites), and my husband and I were fairly certain we wanted to splurge on a private day tour vs. a guided tour for this portion of our vacation. We had nightmares of being trapped on a crowded tour bus, having an impersonal/generic experience, and having no input on our itinerary for the day. We also knew we wanted to see as much as possible, and my husband did not want to have to rent a car and drive to the towns himself (and I didn't want to be his navigator!).

I simply asked Ale in my e-mail if he was available to take my husband and I around the Chianti Classico Region (hill towns, wineries, etc.). My original request really was that generic and non-specific. I knew there would have to be more specific details planned. Fortunately for us (asking only 2 months ahead of time), Ale responded VERY quickly, and he was available!! From our first e-mail back-and-forth I was impressed with his professional conduct, his prompt reply, and his enthusiasm. He outlined the cost (VERY reasonable for a VERY private tour!), offered a few suggestions on specific towns we could visit, offered to pick us up and drop us off at our B&B door in Florence, and explained that the cost included all the wine tasting. Alessandro literally answered my first 5 questions before they were even asked. He also stated he was very flexible, wanted to hear our ideas for the day-trip, and wanted our thoughts. Very impressed!

Ale explained that we would not NEED to be in contact again until directly before our trip, and he asked that we kindly e-mail him before we departed for Europe. He also suggested we become "facebook friends", which I thought was a wonderful idea. Ale posts pictures from his tours periodically, and it was fun to see where he was taking his guests for the day. My husband and I enjoyed feeling like we were getting a "sneak peek" of what we might be doing.

Two weeks before our departure for Italy, we and NO details ironed out. I e-mailed Ale to ask how much of the itinerary my husband and I were responsible for planning. We knew that Ale said he was not a "travel agent", but we knew he probably had wonderful suggestions in the area. We also figured since he said the wine tastings were included in his original quote that he knew which wineries would be good to visit. He replied, "Trust me. Let me take care of you. I will show you a wonderful day". He advised us to meet him in the street outside our B&B at 9am.

At 9am on May 26th we met Ale outside our B&B. We walked out the door, immediately recognized Ale standing in the street, and we got into his car. His car was very nice. Very clean and spacious. He gave us a very warm greeting, and he made my husband and I feel very welcome.

First, Ale took us up to Piazzale Michelangelo. It was an amazing view first thing in the morning, and we were literally some of the only people in the famous square. Ale was kind enough to take some pictures of my husband and I before we were back in the car. Once in the car Ale presented us with the options of visiting the wineries early in the day & then heading to some hill towns, or to go to San Gimignano first, and visit wineries later in the afternoon. We loved, loved, loved how he was presenting us with choices right from the get-go. It really made us feel like he wanted to tailor the day to our specific wishes rather than giving us a generic experience.

Upon arriving at San Gimignano, Ale stopped the car on the road a few miles outside the city where there was a great view. Again, he allowed for us to take pictures. It was so nice that he stopped occasionally for pictures... I would have been taking them out the car window the entire time because everything was so beautiful, but he knew the perfect places to stop. He dropped us off at the entrance of the hill town, suggested some things to do within the city walls (towers to climb, etc.), and said he would meet us at the opposite side of the city in about an hour. The privacy was nice once we were actually in the town... we were grateful to be able to explore at our own pace and see the things we wanted to see. We were also happy to have arrived early enough to beat all the tour buses. As promised, Ale was waiting at the other side of the city.

After San Gimignano, we were whisked off to Monteriggioni. We had never heard of this town. It was quaint and beautiful. Such a pleasant surprise. Again, we wandered around at our leisure after Ale suggested some things to see within the city walls, and then we met him back at his car when we were finished. Off to the next site!

After Monteriggioni we headed to Siena. Again, Ale stopped outside the city walls at a great place to drink in the view of the city and take some great pictures. He gave us little, laminated city maps, and showed us where he was dropping us off. He said he was going to the other side of town where he would meet us when we were finished exploring. He also offered to buy us duomo tickets so we wouldn't have to wait in line if we wanted to visit. So sweet. We ended up spending most of our time in the Piazza del Campo enjoying the sun and watching the people. Although we did not visit long, it is a place we would love to return. We can imagine now why we always heard Siena is "magical at night".

After Siena we headed out to Radda in Chianti. We were SO SURPRISED to be able to see see yet ANOTHER hill town. Ale really knows the roads like the back of his hand! Again, we explored at our leisure and then met back up with Ale.

After visiting Radda in Chianti Ale drove us up to Vèscine winery, which is located on the rolling hills between Siena and Florence and must be one of the most charming wineries ever. We were able to taste 3 wines and visit the cellar is in the Castelvecchi castle. What an amazing experience. We would not have found this place on our own.

After enjoying a tasting in the sunshine outside, we headed for a late lunch at Fattoria Montagliari. O.M.G. My husband and I will probably be talking about this lunch for the rest of our lives. It was HANDS DOWN the best food we ate the entire time we were in Italy, and we had just been on a "food tour" the day before. Wow. Wow. Wow. We had the "pasta of the day" and artichokes, and it was to die for. I will say it again, wow. After lunch, Ale showed us around the Montagliari property, and he took us to the Montagliari winery. We were able to taste more Chianti Classico and also aged balsamic vinegars. Wonderful.

At both wineries Ale gave us the opportunity to purchase wines, etc. and was very knowledgeable re: pricing. He did NOT; however, make us feel pressured to buy anything, which we appreciated. Since we only had backpacks with us during our trip, we did not purchase any of the wines.

Just when we thought we had seen it all, Ale drove us to Greve in Chianti. There was a small outdoor open market, and we strolled around for a little while. Again, once we were done, we met Ale back at his car.

He then drove us to Castello Vicchiomaggio. Stunning. The views on the drive were amazing, and the property itself was stunning. Ale told us about his sister's wedding which was held here. Very nice of him to share such personal details.

After Castello Vicchiomaggio it was time to return to Florence. Ale was going to drive us right back to our door at the B&B; however, we asked to be dropped back off at Piazzale Michelangelo. He was more than agreeable. We paid Ale cash at the end of our day. My husband and I were so very, very sad for this day to end.

Sorry to be so wordy, but I am truly having trouble summarizing what a magical day Alessandro showed me and my husband. Magical. There are no words that adequately express our gratitude and appreciation. Without Ale, we would have NEVER been able to see this much in one day... not only because we would have gotten lost if we were driving, but because it would have taken us ten years and countless hours to make such a fantastic itinerary.

Ale was charming, friendly, professional, funny, personable, warm, and gracious. We felt at home in his clean, spacious vehicle. It was like spending the day with an old friend.

If anyone has any hesitation about spending a day with Alessandro and/or taking one of his tours, I would stop worrying. You will be in good hands.

Ale - Bryan and I do not know how to THANK YOU enough for showing us your city and country and planning such an amazing day for us. It was honestly a day we will remember all our lives. I remember the day in vivid detail, and it brings a smile to my face each time I think about our journey. You truly have a gift making your guests feel comfortable, welcome, important, and blessed. THANK YOU again from the bottom of our hearts. Nothing but kind words to say and absolutely treasured memories.

I hope we get to meet again.

12  Thank JTA208