“Casa dolce casa - how small details make a big impact”

Tasso Hostel Florence
Ranked #33 of 311 Specialty Lodging in Florence
Reviewed September 2, 2013

From the moment you walk into Tasso Hostel, you enter a home away from home. Seemingly small details lend themselves to the feeling of being in a special place where people from all walks of life come together and share the incredible experience of being in Florence. A guitar and piano sitting on top of a small stage, inviting people to play them and hinting at the jam sessions that inevitably took place on many a warm summer night. A welcome drink prepared by one of the best and friendliest bartenders in town. An outdoor terrace with many places to curl up with a glass of wine or a book, surrounded by home-grown herbs and spices grown from the soil that Tuscany is famous for.

None of these details would leave as much of an impression were it not for the incredible staff who bring the hostel to life every day. Romina, Lorenzo, Lollo, and Fede are always prepared to answer questions about your stay in Florence, but more importantly, talk with you about things that interest them and that might interest you as you explore the city. In a non-intrusive way, they are all gems that offer unique views on what makes their home so special, apart from everything that's already been covered in travel guides. I was lucky enough to go on a gastronomic tour of the city with Romina, who showed our tastebuds exactly why Florence is a culinary powerhouse. (I would definitely recommend this to those who are interested.)

Along with some great friends, I've got food and travel memories that I'll keep in my pocket for a long time to come.

Grazie, cari amici del'ostello Tasso!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Tasso Hostel Florence

Reviewed August 27, 2013

This place is an Alladins cave, the moment you ring the doorbell and the door opens, the view is magical.
Staff were helpful and gave us very good info on local attractions around Florence and how to get there.
We stayed in a private double room, they are basic but very clean, very quiet and I had a great nights sleep.

So to conclude my review if in Florence, check it out for a stay or miss out.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Indiedog1
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Tasso Hostel is pretty much the best hostel I've resided in during my trip to Italy. It's situated in a quiet neighbourhood, very close to the city centre, and even closer to the Boboli garden. My room was quite big and impeccably clean, as was the bathroom and the communal areas. The bar was an excellent surprise, as it offered tasty drinks at a very reasonable price (try the Tasso cocktail, you won't regret it!). There is also a great atmosphere for meeting interesting people from all over the world. I will certainly go there whenever I'm in beautiful Florence.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Hi T
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The hostel is very nice and clean. The location is not the best (15 min walk to city center), but it is in a nice quiet neighborhood. My general complaint is with the management. During my stay in the hostel there were a few parties that the owner had for his friends. I felt like I was intruding on a private party. However, I was not because the parties were always in the hostel common area. I think the management could have done a better job of including the guest in his events. Hostels are supposed to be a place to meet new people. Instead we were all made to feel like outsiders.

Room Tip: Get a private room. It is worth the extra money. Do not get one facing the patio area if you are a l...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Superseeps
FlorenceFlashback, General Manager at Tasso Hostel Florence, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

The last thing on earth we wish is that our clients feel out of place, the hostel is well known to be a place where Locals and travelers meet but the hostel is also run by one person at a time making it quite difficult for us to introduce all our guests to the local clients of the bar much more to each other. We assume that being the environment that it is communication come naturally without our help.

We often think that being travelers, people will dive to the opportunity in making new friends. Maybe its because our personalities are very out going and make friends immediately with the first person beside us.

Usually in a hostel environment we wait for the clients to break the ice with others as we do not like to intrude on the space and privacy of clients, being both asocial and intimate environment some clients like sitting in their peace and do their own thing. Sometimes they sit at the bar and make friends, Some just make their presence felt and interact easily with others.

We are sorry we made you feel this way, it was not of our intention, but please understand that it is so difficult to assume that a client is interested in socializing, when they do not make an initial effort of striking up a conversation to initiate some sort of interaction with the people around them. We will try better next time thank you again for your review.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

The most stunning and authentic Italian hostel of my trip.. And old elementary school transformed into the most relaxing beautiful hostel I've seen. The staff are so helpful, knowledgeable of the city and endless fun. They gave us so many tips about how to see the city like true locals. The beautiful Romina made our trip!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Ctcoops
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Definitely recommend this hostel. It is clean, fun and has great staffffffff!!!! Romana is ten out of ten! Shes so welcoming, helpful and funnnnn!! The rooms are big, theres a good outdoor area and great lounge/bar. I would happily stay here again next time I'm in Florence.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Lauretta H
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Beautifully designed, incredible staff, perfect location. They have a great bar with delicious cocktails and in the morning you'll wake up to a freshly delivered brioche, juice and a very very tasty coffee. What more could you want..

• Stayed: July 2013