“Everyone should be so lucky to own a creation by Janni”
Review of Janniderma

Janniderma
Ranked #11 of 334 Shopping in Florence
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Janniderma is the favorite shop, a leather store, in Florence by Tripadvisor shoppers. The store is located in the Santa Croce district on via dei Benci at number 10. Opening hours are 10:30 a.M. - 8 P.M. From March 1st to October 31st and 11 p.M. To 5 p.M. From November 1st to to February the 28th. Outside business hours we can accomodate our clients on call at the number stated on the entrance door. Janniderma is the only store worldwide selling the amazing and valuable leather jackets, coats, pants, corsets and bags by designer and architect Jannis Skarmoutsos. The Janniderma concept is stemming from the pure creativity of the designer. Jannis is to design and produce a new style which is original, exclusive, of high quality and tailored in limited numbers from precious organic leather, treated to resist water and light, entirely made in Florence (Italy), offering the best price/quality ratio. Welcome at Janniderma: enjoy it! You will love it!
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is a unique experience. This is how shopping should be. There is a time honored tradition here consisting of finely designed leather products, the creator of these masterpieces and those who will ultimately wear the product.

As the customer, Janni is there to make you feel comfortable with your choices. There is an understanding and passion that one rarely finds. The end product entices the eye and flatters the wearer. Of course there is the traditional blacks and browns, but the various colors that Janni has are spectacular to behold.

Having been to Florence every year in the last 8 - 10, I can't help myself but stop by and re-establish myself with this fine gentleman, his lovely wife and their magnificent daughter. Their humanity and warmth are so genuine and from the heart. Fortunately, my wife and I have been able to take something away from our long term relationship. I have a beautiful mid-length black leather jacket and my wife has 6 wonderful creations from Janni. Whether it is in Europe or the United States, she is frequently stopped and complimented on these stunning coats and jackets.

Look for yourself since I have attached a few photos to this review.

I have shopped all over Florence and I just keep coming back here. I just can't say enough good things.

3  Thank Paul L

Reviewed March 28, 2013

On a trip to Italy with friends 12 years ago, we were given a tip about the best leather shop in Florence by a fellow passenger on our flight over from the States. This fellow passenger was absolutely adamant that if we were interested in purchasing a leather jack while in Florence, we pretty much owed it to ourselves to make it to Janniderma. Upon arriving we were warmly greeted by Janni and were treated as though we were his favorite customers of all time. After our purchases, Janni invited us to stay and talk about our experiences in Italy and our lives back in the States. He then gave us great suggestions for restaurants and sightseeing.

Move the clock ahead to this past October and I found myself back in Italia -- this time it was to get married in Southern Italy. While on our honeymoon, which included 4-5 days in Florence, I explained to my wife, Karen, that stopping by Janniderma was an absolute must. Although she was anxious to buy a leather jacket (or two), she rolled her eyes and joked with me that I had told the story of our original visit to his shop 12 years earlier way too many times.

We managed to locate the shop with only a few wrong turns. Upon our arrival, I introduced myself to Janni's wife, Ottilia, and mentioned that I had been in the shop more than a decade earlier. She mentioned that Janni was away for a few moments, but that he would definitely want to see us. He came in and was exactly as I remembered him. His jackets he suggested for Karen were amazing and she is constantly complimented on them here in the U.S.

He and Ottilia were wonderful to us and we spent the much of the rest of our stay with them both -- as well as their wonderful daughter, Artemis. They were incredible hosts and went way beyond anything we should have expected in showing us around and allowing us to be part of their lives for a few days.

Since being back in the States, both Karen and I often speak of our friends in Florence (including Donato) and never miss an opportunity to refer people to Janniderma when they mention that they will be in Firenze. In a city that sadly seems to feature too many shops that are geared toward tourists, Janniderma is a refreshing reminder of the quality and attention to detail for which Florence is known.

We will return sometime soon and can't wait to see Janni, Ottilia and Artemis again.

3  Thank IDAHO-Mateo
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Walking into Janni's shop, you are instantly welcomed not only by the intense scent of leather, but by the most welcoming friendliest couple in Firenze, Jannis and Ottilia.
A step into their boutique leather shop is like taking a step back in time to the renaissance era. Janni's passion and expertise for architecture, history and fashion altogether magically blends into his absolutely amazing designs and cuts of jackets, pants and handbags. Quality is second to none. My 3 jackets purchased from the year 2000 are still in perfect condition, If not better condition! Janni sells traditional designs as well as modern dare to wear dress to impress designs! I have one of his full length double zip silver lined jackets that still gets compliments to this day, even after 13 years! I love the quality of leather used, and the care taken with the stitching and very impressed with even the buttons and zips used in the jackets.
Janni and Ottilia are happy to sit and have a coffee and a chat, even If your just window shopping, there is no intimidation or pressure put on you, unlike most of the other commercial leather shops in Firenze, that try to get you in and pressure you to buy and follow you around the shop.
No visit to Firenze is complete without a visit to this gorgeous boutique in the heart of the city, one of the most areas Santa Croce. Customer service is the best of the best, and you leave with a feeling that your saying goodbye to family, a good friend, not someone you just met.
Cannot wait to return, thank you Jannis and Ottilia for a unique personal experience each and every time.

1  Thank Natsalvo26
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I first stumbled on Janni's shop probably 12 years ago and my wife and I immediately fell in love with his beautiful designs. Janni's Greek background blends perfectly with the high fashion of Florence. His shop is full of one-of-a-kind fashions which he personally designs - he even selects the leather, the dyes, everything and the result is the best quality possible. Lastly, he's a wonderful man and if you are lucky you just may meet his wife and daughter as they drop by the shop. If you really are into fashion ask to see his book of sketches, where he works out pieces he may bring to life. It's amazing as he is a talented artist. We've gone back to Florence 5 times now and our 1st stop is always Janni's boutique.

1  Thank Steveboe
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Jannis is passionate about his designs and the quality of the workmanship. His customer care is a unique experience, and you cannot leave without become friends with Jannis and his beautiful family, Ottilla and Artemis - truly the most wonderful people. 'Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued' - Socrates. If you want excellent service and beautiful unique quality leather, then you must visit Janniderma when in Florence.

1  Thank Lesley C