“An Odious Little Dive in a City Where Memorable Food is the Norm”
Review of La Felicita

La Felicita
Ranked #1,670 of 2,712 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Chinese
Neighborhood: San Lorenzo
Neighborhood: San Lorenzo
San Francisco, California
“An Odious Little Dive in a City Where Memorable Food is the Norm”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I've just returned to Firenze, and rented an apartment for two months. My location can't be beat: right around the corner from all the hustle and bustle of the Mercato Centrale. On my previous visit this past spring, I enjoyed a healthy combination of preparing my own meals consisting of farm-to-market fresh produce purchased from the vendors inside the covered market, and at other times, allowing myself the pleasure of having the professionals cook for me instead! I found so many delightful little bistros, trattorias, and osterias that I've come to assume just about every place in Firenze must be pretty good, else it wouldn't remain in existence.

La Felicita somehow slipped through the cracks.

First allow me to state that my visit was not a spur-of-the-moment decision. La Felicita is directly across the street from me, and even as I type here at my dining room table, I can see directly inside from my first-floor window. I thought about it for several days, observing the slow but steady stream of customers, and finally succumbed to the temptations of fried rice with vegetables, and Chinese noodles with vegetables.

Oh how I wish I hadn't.

Both dishes were quite dried out (perhaps from being under a heat lamp too long?). The vegetables had been cooked to within an inch of their lives, and had no crunch or discernable taste. I suspect the fried rice dish had been prepared with prepackaged frozen vegetables, as they looked a little too "perfect" - or had at one time. I will say one thing: they were not tempted to over-salt, and in fact, had erred on the side of caution, as both dishes were very bland.

The Chinese woman at the counter spoke neither Italian nor English, which is a little surprising in a city where the vast majority of the people do. She exuded neither warmth or welcoming, and I was overall sorry to have come.

• Visited October 2012

Orebro, Sweden
“Fantastic little Chinese Restaurant near the leather market”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

In fact the previous time,we were in Florence ourselves,my wife and I,we ate at another small Chines rest. nearby quite cheap but the food could do,so this time with some friends,we tried to locate it but couldn`t find it but found this one which was much better,more seats,more varieties to chose,very affordable prices,delicious and most of all "no cover-charge". From the beginning,we pointed to the food at the display-counter where the rets-owner I presumed,a nice little lady,wouls heat up the food in a micro-oven before serving but later I found out that one could order direct from the kitchen which is a few blocks away where they have another "take-away" shop. From the 2nd day onwards,we started to order food not existing in the menu,freshly cooked & delicious direct from the kitchen. Overall when the food,price,location & service is concerned,one can`t complain as compared to other expensive Chinese restaurants nearby not forgetting their "cover-charges". My wife & I would defintely patronise there again.

• Visited September 2012