“The Philippe Starck of Hotels?”

Firenze Number Nine Wellness Hotel
Ranked #20 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I have just spent three days at Number 9 and have rated it 5 stars. The staff are very helpful, polite and eager to please. The modern and inviting interior design, along with vivid works of art, suggest that the owners of this hotel understand a lot about how to create a contemporary place to stay. It is modern yet feels at home in the medieval city
Surrounded by old buildings and minutes from the station and Duomo, it is perfectly placed. The spa and gym facility next door is excellent. The buffet breakfast fresh and plentiful. The perfect place? Not quite, despite the five stars I have awarded. Let me explain my slight concerns:
I am a technology lover with gadgets a plenty. I want technology to improve my life not to distract from it and some of the high tech features at the hotel simply are there for technology sake and do not add value to the experience. On arriving in the room the touch control air conditioning would not save any changes, which meant that we had to ring reception who 'over rode' the system. This was good but we couldn't adjust it afterwards without ringing reception. The light switches are numerous and confusing. I struggled to work out which switch corresponded to which light. A night time visit to the bathroom involved illuminating the bedroom as well. Mind you, when sat in bed, the giant headboard blocked any access to any light switch. The motion sensitive taps are fine in motorway service stations but try shaving with one!
I am being a bit picky but these techno glitches detract away from the fact this hotel is very good indeed but could be astounding.
Why the Philippe Starck of hotels? If you are familiar with the aesthetically beautiful space rocket shaped lemon squeezer designed by Starck then I feel sure that you either have one or would like to have one. As a design statement it is second to none and looks superb in any kitchern. Unfortunately it is not very good at squeezing lemons which is a shame because that is it's primary function. Or is it.....?
Should you stay there? Yes you should. I suspect as the hotel is so new then the technology issues will be sorted. Well done number 9. I think you have the potential to become the most popular place to stay in Florence.

3  Thank Clive B

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Just returned from a long weekend in this great City. This hotel is superbly located in the center of town. It has a good cocktail hour with free buffet if you buy a drink, perfect martini btw. The spa is a bit of a con as the massage room is just off the noisy gym. The gym is adjacent to the hotel and is excellent. Great beds, great service and front desk. We were upgraded to a suite which was great although a little soulless. Good value by florentine standards.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Very convenient location, close to train station and right at Duomo and so close to Mercato Centrale, for great food shopping and tasting, but market is close at 2pm and also on Sunday, so plan accordingly. The hotel staffs are very nice and helpful. Happy Hour at the hotel, 4 to 9 pm. The hotel manager (Annalisa?) went out of her way to take me to a shop nearby to fix my broken suitcase zipper. I never got to see her again to thank her for her kindness.
Has enough good appetizers so you don't need to go to dinner. Best Happy Hours of all of Italy.
Only minor complaints are : water faucet on sink too high, so water squashes; cannot walk into
the toilet, without having to close the bathroom door (a hassle in middle of the night), no drawers
under the table and night stand. I don't see much of any views from any of the rooms, none in mine. But there is so much to see and do in Florence, no time to spend in the room. But there is the SPA and a great GYM if you have the time.

But if you don't mind paying $250/night for a small single room, this is the place to be.

Room Tip: Location is so important, especially if you are using public transportation. It saves time and frust...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Hailenmak
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Excellent location, just 150 m from Duomo in a cute street with vintage music shops.
Room are very clean and comfortable. Helpful and smiling staff. Very good breakfast also.
But for me the special of this hotel, was the possibility to enjoy spa and fitness club for free.
After a day of conferences, I had a great yoga lesson!
Recommend it for´business and leisure.
Be back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The hotel was very clean, up to date and in a great location relative the city center. The staff was very courteous and helpful. The breakfast buffet was superb!
This hotel is within a 10 min walk to the train station and less than 5 mins to the Duomo/Cathedral.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to those wanting a convenient location, good service and overall good experience.
This hotel is connected to a Spa/fitness club. We didn't go to the spa, but it looked very nice and it was good to know that we had free access to it.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed in a suite at this hotel a few weeks ago for one night.
The hotel was down a quiet little street and right around the corner from the Duomo. Once inside, my boyfriend and I had a fairly easy checking in process. It was quite busy at the time so the receptionists seemed a little flustered- none the less, they were very helpful and took us up to our suite. A beautiful room with the biggest bed I have ever seen and stunning parquet flooring. I was disappointed as I had emailed specifying for a bath instead of a shower and our room came with a shower. They were happy to change the room for us, but for a smaller one in an hour's time- we declined and decided to stay in the room we'd been given. The only downside was that it was quite dark- even with the lights on, but this didn't seem like such a massive issue considering we were planning on touring the city during the day.
In the late afternoon we returned to the hotel after a day's sightseeing and were pleasantly surprised to find a selection on canapes in the 'library' (this behind the reception and one the way to the lifts).
That evening we ordered room service breakfast which we filled out on a card and hung on the outside of the door- specifying for a 9:30-9;45 am slot. This did not arrive until 10:15 (after we had called them) and having ordered 2 soft boiled eggs and coffee, we were disappointed to find all the food cold and eggs hard boiled.
A little more attention to detail would have been welcome, but none the less, a great hotel which I would definitely stay in again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2013

So close to five stars but not quite there. Hard to describe it, but the rooms aren't quite there in their finishing touches at the same time as being very adequate. Breakfast is very good but the coffee is randomly terrible. Staff are all young and intelligent, I think in a few months this will fill out to be a top class hotel. It's very close now

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family