“Great Location, Great Staff”
Review of Hotel Davanzati

Hotel Davanzati
Ranked #12 of 410 Hotels in Florence
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 5, 2013

This is a great local property owned and operated by 3 generations of the same family. The Hotel has an excellent location and the family goes out of there way to make you feel at home. Whenever we asked for reservations at museums and restaurants, the staff quickly suggested great dinner spots and made the museum reservations happen! We will stay her again when we return!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,562)

997 - 1,003 of 3,563 reviews

Reviewed June 4, 2013

This was my first visit to Italy and the Davanzati Hotel was such an absolute joy to stay at! It was such a wonderful experience from check in to check out. The hotel is within walking distance to EVERYTHING in Florence. There is free wifi and every room has a LAPTOP for your convenience which was extremely convenient. Free movies available on all the tvs in the room. The room was very clean and spacious enough for two. There is a romantic flair to the hotel but it's great for families as well. The only downside for some people (we didn't mind) is that you have to walk up a flight of stairs to get to it. This wasn't a big deal to us at all.

The best part about this hotel was that there were FREE prosecco and FREE appetizers each evening. And OMG was the "Davanzati Sauce" delicious! They even provide the recipe for customers to take home. This was a great place to stop before going out to dinner.

Ask the owner any questions as he knows the best places to visit. We asked him for a restaurant suggestion and he recommended, Acqua Al 2, which ended up being the best meal I've ever had! No joke. It was fantastic.

I would absolutely without a doubt recommend the Davanzati Hotel to anyone. It was a great experience all around. I would love to stay there again whenever I go back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sara F
Reviewed June 4, 2013

To provide some context to this review - I had VERY high expectations, due to the fact that I had booked 9 months in advance, as this was a surprise trip for my Mother, Aunt and I for two very significant birthdays!

I am SO glad to say, that in every way, Hotel Davanzati delivered.

Before we even arrived in Florence - Fabrizio and Tommaso had become regular email correspondents, as they helped me to book all our museum entrances, restaurants (even ones they hadn't necessarily included in their direct recommendations) and travel advice (as we flew into Pisa).

(For reference, the transfer is a breeze!)

We made it up the stairs (really not a big deal), into the lift, and promptly (fell) into the wonderful lobby. Tommaso welcomed us all, and noted the significance of the trip, while introducing us to all the hotel had to offer. To my surprise (given the constant references to the old-world charm and family-owned nature of the hotel), iPads were available in the lobby for newspaper browsing, the rooms each had a laptop available, alongside great wifi (although it did have a habit of kicking you off, and making you re-subscribe, which would be a great thing to end!). The rooms also had access to a (free) server of films, which I thought was a lovely addition in this 'pay-per-view' world.

The room (a triple) was huge - with a separate alcove for the third bed. One (small) thing would be if they could look at the shower head, as we were unable to find a way to set it up so that it didn't soak the floor as you entered the cubicle. A small thing I know - but when you are so close to perfection...?

One other small thing would be regarding the TV. My understanding is that the family own a number of other businesses, and so they of course offer these tours etc., as services to guests. However, I did find it a little out of place that every time you re-entered the room, and engaged the electricity, a big ad for their tours was on the screens. It maybe petty, but I think the old world charm is exactly why I chose the hotel, and in general I would then prefer it to talk, rather than shout at me (metaphorically of course!)

The evening drinks were lovely (though with our busy eating schedule we did miss some), one small comment would be the volume of music. I think the entire endeavour, as a meet-and-greet, would be better suited to background music, rather than some choices that were a little full-on for a soiree at 1830.

However, these TINY comments should not in any way mask the gem of a hotel that this is. We felt that our holiday, and experience of Florence mattered to everyone we came in contact with, and, having recommended it to everyone I know in person, I now recommend it to you.

I will, without doubt, be back.

Room Tip: Our triple room was 303
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jaxhill
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I would recommend this hotel without any reservation - The location, rooms and staff are all exceptional. The happy hour and breakfast are also excellent. The family that runs the hotel are second to none - do yourself a favor and stay here.

The reason for the 4 stars instead of 5 is the fact that they have 26 steps to get to the lobby and then more steps to a room, so if you have luggage it can be a bit of a challenge to get to the hotel. In all fairness they clearly state this when you book, The other issue was that we drove from Rome and getting to the hotel can be a nightmare, but again - that is something that has nothing to do with the accommodations or the quality both of which are exceptional - just be prepared for these little inconveniences

Room Tip: The superior double with the attached balcony is great if you are two couples
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Let me start by saying that Fabrizio, one of the owing family members, is a delight and so accommodating. It is therefore hard for me to say what follows, but perhaps it will spur changes. We arrived after a long trip to be told that our room had been given away due to a "software glitch" that allowed someone to book the room long after we had first reserved it. So instead of putting the onus on the second in line they gave the room to them. To make matters worse, they then offered us a tiny closet of a room which we turned down. They then said wait until 4 and they would see if they could move things around. We came back to a larger double bedded room that had a small window in an upper corner only that opened onto an air chute between other buildings. An apartment looked down onto our room from above in the chute, and we could hear their conversations quite loudly. The room itself was very stale smelling and had no bed cover. The bathroom was very nice, however.

As a couple who have frequented the Davanzati this was extremely unfortunate. We accepted the room at that late hour, not wishing to have to move, but the room was not up to the standard we have come to expect. But there was more.

One of the hallmarks of the Davanzati is the happy hour where you can have a glass of wine and meet other guests. On that first night we went down to the happy hour to find the lights off with just candles and rock music blaring at a level where conversation was almost impossible. Again, this wasn't the Davanzati we knew and loved. The next night things were more "normal."

This is a family run hotel and Fabrizio and his father care deeply about this hotel. It is just sad to see that as it has evolved some of the things that made the Davanzati so special apparently have been lost.

Room Tip: Make sure you get one of the updated rooms with newer furniture and adequate windows.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lbearpal
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is a gem of a hotel, very well located in the heart of Florence. It was easy to walk everywhere we wanted to go. Room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good. Staff were friendly and helpful, particularly the owner. All in all, we loved our stay here and would recommend it highly.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our honeymoon in several cities in Italy and this was definitely our best choice. The location was excellent, near the Dome. The service and attention: unbeatable. The room very comfortable and a good breakfast. We loved the happy hour. We thank Mr. Fabrizzio for all the great recommendations!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple