“I'd do it again”

Ranked #55 of 421 Hotels in Florence
My office
“I'd do it again”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Clean, very quiet, and within easy walking distance of every major site and shopping. A little older, but not in bad shape for its age at all... Very helpful staff, and room service is great. Concierge(s) spoke English well. SUPER value.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Hotel was nice and clean. The bathroom was very comfortable and featured jets in the shower that were on the side and glass shower doors - very pretty...
Hotel is in a great location - a 10 minute walk from all the main attractions and the heart of Florence.
Great restaurant around the corner has wonderful food - needs reservations.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
St. Louis
Reviewed October 5, 2009

My husband and I stayed here on our 13 day honeymoon to Italy. It was by far the best hotel of our trip! Every detail of our stay exceeded or expectations. Yes, some may say that is far from the city center but if you are physically able to walk 15 minutes it is not that big of a deal. If having everything right outside your door is important to you then you will spend double the amount or more to have such a nice room close to the duomo or the shopping center.
From the second we walked in to the lobby of this hotel and were greeted to the moment we checked out, this hotel went above and beyond. The staff at the front desk was amazing and spoke great English, which was comforting since we had never been outside of the United States before. Our room was absolutely beautiful! We had one on the first floor with a garden terrace that's was HUGE and so nice to sit out on and have some wine and cheese after a long day of site seeing. The room itself was huge for even U.S. standards. There was even another room with a desk. It was extremely clean and inviting! We got two great recommendations for dinner from the staff that were the best meals we had in Italy. I was so impressed that I wrote management a letter upon check out to tell them how great our stay was. I highly, highly, highly recommend this hotel! I can't say enough how wonderful our stay was. Yes, you should be prepared to walk to the major sites but it's SO worth it! This hotel is beautiful and so are the staff members!

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed September 28, 2009

We stayed in five hotels while we were in Italy and this one was the best looking both inside and outside by far. It's GORGEOUS. The lobby is stunning, and wait until you get in the room! It's huge in comparison to European hotels, and the bathroom is unbelievable. There is a tub that you can bathe in. Actually bathe and stretch your legs out. It was perfect after a long day of walking. The only draw back was that it was a 20-30 minute walk from the center, and because we didn't have a car we walked all over Florence. Also, because Florence's public transportation doesn't hit all the main spots and is not very reliable, we did a lot of walking. But other than that, the hotel was a fabulous.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2009

As a novice to Florence, I soon realised as soon as I arrived that that all hotels are near the station, don't be fooled by the headlines nr the station, most of the hotels advertised are along Via Carvello which is a busy noisey road - so be warned!.

San Gallo Palace is a good 10-15 minute walk from the station (I took a taxi to initially get to the hotel as I did not know where it was being new to Florence, it was 10 euros), I did not take a taxi again and only took a bus to return to florence station when I finished my stay as I had luggage.

Here's the thing if you can't manage a good 10-15 walk a day you really should not be travelling anywhere!! From the hotel as the reviews say it is a 10 min walk to the Duomo, (it is literally across the square and down Via Carvello) yes you do need to cross a busy road to get across but your adults and if you don't know how to cross a road then again do not travel.

The hotel rooms are big and ladies the bathrooms are huge with proper baths with shower, this is a good 4 star hotel, the staff are very helpful, the rooms are clean and sheets are fresh and clean. I had asked for a kettle in my room and found a kettle when I arrived, I also asked for a quiet room, I got a quiet room and slept very well, the bed was very comfortable.

There is also a good selection of breakfast served daily, the lady who makes sure that everyone is catered for with teas and coffees is a real find, lovely lady.

Trust me once you get to Florence, the last thing you want to do in the evening is to be in the town centre, it is a mass of tourists as I said before the attractions are all close together therefore everyone is crowding into the same areas - the hotel is a real relief to get away from the crowds and relax and get a good nights sleep.

One other tip I would give you is to go on the tour of Tuscany tour, it was the highlight of my trip ask the hotel for details. I hope this review helps you to make up your mind as believe me this is a good place and I'm a fussy Lady!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank wondrousgirl
London
Reviewed September 6, 2009

The hotel is nice. Room is big and bathroom is nice. Hotel staffs are very friendly and helpful. The only thing is it is 15 mins walk from the center and that is why the price is down. But will still recommend

Singapore
Reviewed August 26, 2009

We had a pleasant stay at San Gallo Palace. The rooms are neat and clean. The concierge was very helpful and gave excellent restaurant recommendations.
The Duomo is a 15 minute walk but its a nice walk. The location is good as it is a quiter part of town. 10 minute walk from the railway station. All in all, a good value for money.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple