“This hotel just didn't do it for me”

Hotel San Gallo Palace
Ranked #62 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We arrived late in the afternoon at the start of a 3 night stay. The location was right. a bit away from Duomo but quiet. We found ourselves walking into the centre and taking taxis back at the end of the day.
Room: mattress wasn't comfy. I hope it was just this room. Air conditioner didn't work well. room 307. I contacted reception thrice. they kept saying it was fixed but I got tired and just stopped complaining. Again I wanted to use the room telephone and didn't want any surprises on the bill so asked reception for rates. They didn't know either! they said a private company will issue a charge. The TVs belong to the 80s. A 4* star hotel deserve LCDs or at least bigger screens.
Wifi: I knew ahead there was a charge. 14 euros per 24 hours. However this was per device which was surprising . so if you want to log on more than one device then you'll have to do the maths.....
Breakfast: forgettable. would happily skip if there was an alternative close by.

Staff: they were polite but unfortunately there wasn't enough personality. I guess this hotel would be ideal for a lay-over on a business trip. then you wouldn't notice .

This hotel would be 3 star at best.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dotade19
SanGalloPalaceFi, Direttore at Hotel San Gallo Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Sir,
thank you so much for spending your time to review our hotel. We apologise for the unconvenients accurred to you; we will do our best to improve our services following your suggestions. Best regards.
Oana Stancu
Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,386)

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We arrived at the San Gallo tired and needing to go on a tour leaving in 30 minutes. When I went into the lobby the desk clerk Alessandro immediately said" don't worry about anything we are here to make sure everything goes well for you." Alessandro. backed up his words with actions and the Hotel as a place to stay also lived up to our expectations. I have to say the hotel was clean , friendly, and convenient.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jary13
Reviewed June 5, 2013

This hotel is far from the madding crowds but within an easy walk to the centre of the city on the Dumo side of the Arno. Our twin room on the third floor had a very large wrap-around terrace with a table and chairs where, if it had been warm enough, it would have been very pleasant to sit and sip wine and watch the sun set over the Florentine roofs.
The shower had massage jets on the side which were welcome after a hard day's walking around the city.
The breakfast buffet had an adequate choice of food and I particularly liked that much of it was typcially Italian. I had never tried ricotta cheese with fruit salad before and found it delicious.
The beds were comfortable and the room very quiet.
This is a four-star hotel which is very reasonably priced. We paid €580 or so for two people for three nights including breakfast.
My only negative comment concerns the internet: I find it incredible that the better quality the hotel (and this is true almost the world over) the more likely it is that you will have to pay for internet access. In this hotel I had to buy a card for €5 for one hour's access. I assumed this meant I could use it for 60 minutes whenever I liked. Wrong: the small print (which I did not notice) says it's one hour from the time you first connect. So I did the work I had to do in 20 minutes or so and then in the evening went back to check my e-mails and my card had run out. Very irritating.

Room Tip: Ask for the twin room on the third floor with the very big terrace.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Apiersa
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the San Gallo. The multi-lingual staff was very friendly and helpful, and the room could not have been better. Very modern and clean. We reserved a standard room, but were upgraded to a room with a private terrace when we checked in. This hotel is in a quieter part of town, but just a short 15-20 minute walk to the Duomo area. The breakfast was great as well - good selection and friendly staff. Would recommend this beautiful hotel to anyone visiting Florence.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ajm616
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Friendly staff, great breakfast and very clean. The rooms were also a nice size. Only complaint was no free Wi-Fi. Not in the center of the city, but it was a 15-20 minute walk or a 8 euro cab ride. We would definitely stay at the San Gallo again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

1- Surprised when I notice I have to pay 13 Euros daily for the internet in a 4 start Hotel (of course you can pay 5 Euros for 30 minutes option )

2- The day of checkout, their system did not work. They told me they will send my bill via email. Although I asked them don't charge my credit card until I confirm the bill, they already charged me more by mistake.

3- If you are going there from North America, you can't use the their plug to charge your mobile or laptop. You should get your own connector by paying 8 Euro.

4- Personnel are polite and helpful (Exclude people in the reception)

5- Breakfast is good. Rooms are very clean.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bardiaonline
SanGalloPalaceFi, Direttore at Hotel San Gallo Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for having spent some of your time to leave your precious comment on Hotel San Gallo Palace, that will allow us to verify the quality of our services and to approach more and more to your expectations. Customer satisfaction is a primary goal of Hotel San Gallo Palace.
We are asking you sorry again that at the check-out time we have an electrical problem and therefore our system didn't work. As soon we realised that we had charged you 8,00 Euro more we made the debit note and sent you the above difference amount, anticipating the invoice and all to you by email.
We are satisfied that you have appreciated our hotel and services, all our staff is trained to establish a friendly relationship with the Guests, who confirm everyday to the Management this attitude.
Wishes to have you again our Guest, I send you my best regards.

Oana Stancu
F.O.Manager

Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Just stayed here. Great room, service and people were great. But there was no wi-fi for free which I was shocked with. Also the breakfast wasn't good. It was basic and enough but definitely not 4 star breakfast wise. Rooms were nice though. You hear other rooms where people are loud but it was rare. I would say 3 star. 2 if you think wi-fi is essential!

• Stayed: May 2013