“Atheneum good value with exellent meals”
Review of Athenaeum Hotel

Athenaeum Hotel
Ranked #216 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed July 6, 2010

As a mature couple we found room very quiet, spotlessly clean& the resteraunt meals were fantastic. However be warned the portion sizes were quite large. You coud easily miss out the main course & still be full.The resteraunt manager Pietro(Peter) was particulary helpful in organizing a private car tour of Tuscanny .One warning, try to avoid staying when there is a conference on as they just about double the priceon those particular nights.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 6, 2010

I spent just one night in Florence on my way to Siena. After being on a plane for nearly an entire day, it was very nice getting to the Athenaeum. I recommend taking the bus from the airport to the train station and it is only about a 10 minute walk from there (which isn't bad unless you have a lot of luggage!).

The staff members at the front desk were helpful (but seemed slightly annoyed once in a while - maybe because of my poor attempts at speaking Italian). They gave me a map and marked the bus station I needed to get to on it, and were helpful with getting me access to the internet.

The room was great. I stayed in a single, which offered more than enough room for a single person and some luggage. The bathroom was very clean and the towels were huge. The internet access was provided with no extra charge. There was a breakfast buffet offered in the morning that was pretty good. I did not have the opportunity to eat at the hotel's restaurant, but it is located in a beautiful courtyard that I could see from my window.

The hotel is fairly conveniently located and is just north of San Marco and the Galleria dell'Accademia (about 3 blocks) and the Duomo (maybe 10-12 blocks).

The only things I didn't really like about the hotel is the lack of help with your luggage (I struggled to get mine up the stairs to the reception area and had to take up another guest on their offer to help me on my way out the next morning)

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank richellemartin
Reviewed June 28, 2010

We had taken a group of 70 of our Top distributors to celebrate our 10th year in business
I was apparently "upgraded" to a superior single room. It was the tiniest room I had ever stayed in in my life. I didn't even have space to keep my bag anywhere. The bathroom also was the smallest ever! Although the room had a balcony which seemed bigger than the room, the view from the balcony was of the street. In the night the Airconditioning didn't work properly and I had to open the door to the balcony and bear the noise coming from the street. Noise coming from within the hotel was anyway a problem with the waifer thin walls (I guess)
The location wasn't very bad and was a few minutes walk to the the Duomo, but i am sure there are many better Hotels in the vicinity that offer much better value for money
Breakfast was OK and nothing great to talk about
Avoidable Hotel in Beautiful Florence!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 17, 2010

The best parts about the Athenaeum is its quiet but close location to the Duomo (about a 10 to 15 minute walk) as well as its excellent staff. The staff is very knowledgeable about various places in Florence, such as restaurants and shopping. The hotel was relatively clean and comfortable as well. The only drawback in my opinion is that the caulking in the shower very much needed to be replaced in our room. Although not molded, there were many places where the caulking had turned black, especially near the shower door. Since everything else looked clean in the room, this was a drawback for me. Other than that, we enjoyed the hotel and we would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2010

I absolutely loved this place. We got there a little early in the morning (before check-in time), and decided to drop our bags off. The front desk staff told us that they'd be happy to get us a room right away, and because we were there so early, they were able to upgrade us to a suite at the top floor. We had to park our car, and they even drew the best driving route to the parking garage on our map.

The room was very spacious; of course, the best feature was a private rooftop terrace with planters on the perimeter to give enough privacy, yet you could still enjoy a glass of wine while looking onto the street (especially after a whole day of walking around!). The terrace was so big that we could have easily thrown a party. The room and the bathroom were gorgeous; the pictures on the hotel's website really don't do them justice.

The staff was great; especially Jacobo, who even told us how to best get to all the museums with minimum time spent in lines. That guy deserves a promotion!

The breakfast place was fine; I found it to have much more variety than some other hotels we stayed in, but the best thing to do in the morning was to sit out in the courtyard and relax with a cup of coffee.

This place is a hidden gem - it doesn't look like much from the outside, but it's awesome inside; the staff is just great; and all of this is right in the heart of Florence!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2010

Supposed to stay at another hotel but delayed in Venice due to illness & travel company booked us into Athenaeum for 3 nights. Thanks to the volanic ash we ended up there for 7 nights. Wonderful hotel, staff were very friendly, kind and helpful, room very modern, clean and chic. Overlooked central fountain and patio area. Ate in the restaurant several times & food was great, just a pity there weren't more guests using the facilities. As we were all dashing around for several days desperately trying to get transport home, we couldn't have been stuck in a better or nicer hotel. Would certainly return here & highly recommend to anyone visiting Florence.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2010

This is a very good hotel in central Firenze, just 10 minutes walk from the Duomo. Comfortable and very clean rooms with a good quality bed, friendly staff, very good breakfast buffet. Our room was very quiet and had a big balcony which was an added bonus.
I recommend this hotel to people who want to be in the centre of Firenze but who still want some peace and quiet. Everything is within walking distance but all the main bus lines also have a stop just opposite the hotel, including the bus to Fiesole (a recommended day trip).

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple