“clean, new and roomy”

Ranked #218 of 411 Hotels in Florence
knoxville
“clean, new and roomy”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights during a tour. This hotel was the nicest we stayed at. Rooms much larger than most european hotels. Modern hotel with lots of nice amenities. Bathroom is marble and tile with tub as well as shower. Breakfast was very nice with scrambled eggs and bacon served every morning in addition to buffet that included pastries, cold cuts, yogurt, cereal, cheeses, etc. Wireless worked very well in the room, and they also have computers to use. Workout area is small. Great location. It is about a 10 minute walk to the center of town. Nice restaurant in the hotel as well.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ryan10230

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Meina, Italy
Reviewed February 21, 2014

the staff was courteous and helpful.
the rooms were spacious and very clean.
the restaurant food was fantastic.
breakfast was also very good.

I would definitely return

oh, and the hotel was located only a 10 minute walk directly to the duomo and the historic center.

Room Tip: get a room overlooking the street. I had one looking directly at the staircase.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nappyrzrbk
San Diego, California
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We came to florence after visiting rome. I had the most fun visiting this part of Italy! The restaurant attached to the hotel is also excellent. The staff are very friendly, and can communicate in English very well! The location is perfect, a little removed from the city havoc. Every attraction is within walking distance. I would recommend this hotel to anyone! We had a great time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Amy W
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed December 19, 2013

We were on a package deal and Florence was one of the stops. This was by far the only really 4 star hotel we stayed in during our ten day trip. Hotel staff was great, the resturant had quality food and a service was great also. Location was also convient to the attractions Florence has to offer. Was an easy walk from the train station and directions given by the hotel were easy to follow. Would stay at this hotel again if in Florence. All attractions are an easy walking distance from the hotel. Room was very clean and were of good size. Breakfast had a very good selection and the wait staff very attentive.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Edgar S
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We stayed at the Athenaeum Hotel for 5 nights this past September. I was excited because it was the longest part of our trip through Italy and I had read some pretty good reviews for this place. Unfortunetly I was very disappointed and wish I had picked another hotel. First off, our room was small and very basic (unlike all the photos posted on the websites). We spent one night in their basic room and woke up the next morning with back pain from the hard and flat bed and completely covered in bug bites. The room was supposed to be smoke-free but when we opened the window we found and ashtray on the ledge filled with cigarette butts and the curtains smelled like cigarette smoke and dusty. Our allergies acted up from the smoke and we both picked up colds and couldn't breathe or sleep for the rest of the trip. After our first night my boyfriend went down stairs to complain and see about being moved to a better room.. they didnt really apologize but they did allow him to pick another "upgraded room". The only difference in size was the dirty patio that was connected. It was however, cleaner and a little more comfortable. After the room switch we didn't have any more bug problems but we were pretty upset to have them in the first place. We have NO idea what bit us, but my boyfriends bites were itchy and red for the rest of the trip and several days after we came back home. Florence is where I chose to spend my birthday on the trip and we spent a little more on this hotel then we did the other two in Venice and Rome and we both felt like we did not get our money's worth at this place. I can honestly say it was the worst part of our trip and we wont be staying there next time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chelocean87
Llanfairpwll, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Located close to the Accademia, we found the location acceptable, a good 15 minute walk from the Duomo. It's a small hotel with friendly staff. The only downside was the very poor buffet breakfast and weak coffee.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

Singapore
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Location. The Athenaeum is located centrally and is within walking distance of many of Florence's attractions. Walk straight down the street in front of the hotel which is Via Camillo Cavour which turns into Via dei Martelli which then leads you straight into "Duomo Square" which is dominated by the church of Santa Maria di Fiore and the Duomo. If you continue on del Calzaiuoli you end up in the Piazza del Signoria which has the Palazzo Vecchio and the Uffizi museum next to it. All this is a 15 minute walk from the hotel.

Chanel and Ferragamo are near the Piazza del Signoria. Florence is home to Salvatore Ferragamo and the Ferragamo museum. You might consider visiting. After which a short stroll along the river will take you to the covered bridge of the Ponte Vecchio.

The Athenaeum is a nice business hotel with the usual amenities such as a kettle and a trouser press, although an iron and an ironing board might be niceer. These might seem like trivial things to comment on, but in most European hotels, it is not usual to expect to find a kettle or an iron in a room. Safes and mini-bars are fairly recent additions. Expect to pay about 15 Euros for an American style breakfast with eggs and bacon. The great thing about italy is that coffee is generally cheap with an espresso usually running about 1-1.5 Euros. You can add a pastry for another Euro or two to make it "continental". The fact of the matter is that Italians don't usually make a big deal about breakfast, it really is the least fancy meal of the day, consequently you should be prepared to pay "extra" for all the fuss that goes into making breakfast more fancy or more "American".

The water pressure is not great and the showers have a funky "half door" design (see my other review on the Surf and Sand Resort) which means that you'll have to be very careful showering in this tub-shower combo to keep the bathroom floor dry. It generally puzzles me when hotels adopt a tub-shower which in my mind is neither here nor there.

When the door closed on me and I was locked out of my room, it took the night desk clerk 15 minutes to come up and confirm what I'd just told her and then another 10 minutes for her to confirm that my door was locked from the inside and for her to get a master key to let me back in. I really can't imagine what might have been otherwise occupying her at 10pm on a week night, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, this being my first time at the Athenaeum and all.

Finally, I had a room in November which had no air conditioning. I was told that central AC was only turned on during the summer months. I opened the windows to alleviate the stuffiness in the room only to be greeted by hungry Florentine mosquitoes and the noise of street traffic all night.

So yes, it's a nice hotel, good location with adequate facilities. Just some more tweaking to get that additional star and raising service standards to clinch that final star.

Room Tip: 118 and 119 connect to form a very nice Junior Suite. Ask for the "Accademia"
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family