“Absolutely enchanting tuscan soul !”

Hotel Il Bargellino
Ranked #113 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Pinooo and Carmel !! Thank you so much! We were recieved at night because our train came in late (close to midight) and Pino had the biggest smile on his face! He even gave us each a glass of wine and chips. Every single afternoon he would ask us how everything was, we would sit with him and talk about our homeland (Puerto Rico).
Our rooms were cleaned everday and, if you wanted, towels could be changed daily, if not they were changed every two days.
An coffee machine and small biscuit like treats were in our room. We would use them as a light breakfast in the morning.
Our room had double doors that opened to a beautiful terrace, where you could lay back and read a book or enjoy the breeze while taking a nap.
On our last day we were supposed to leave on a 7pm train and Pino and Carmel encouraged us to come back in the early afternoon so we could chill on the terrace before leaving (which we gladly did!).
It was a beautiful experience.

A plus: The train station is practically around the corner, and you can walk to everything else in the center. We never took the public bus inside the center. It's much more fun to just get lost and only pull your map out when you want to go back home.

Opinion: It would be really cool if rooms were equipped with a big water bottle and that some breakfast would be included as well. Some kind pf croissant or cheeses. But that would be just a plus to the wonderful stay. We really have no regrets.

This was my sister's second stay and my first and hopefully not my last!

Hope to see you guys again soon!

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I was spending three nights alone in Florence and decided to take a chance on this place because of the positive reviews here. I wasn't disappointed. Carmel and Pino's kindness and friendliness really made a difference to me, especially as I was travelling alone. They answered all my questions and gave me loads of good advice. The information for travellers that they have prepared is both helpful and entertaining. Pino even helped me practise my Italian. My single room was simple but perfectly clean and had everything I needed. There is a large and beautiful terrace where you can sit at tables outside, have a meal or a drink, enjoy the weather and chat with Leopoldo, the parrot. Most importantly - by staying here I saved money that I then spent in the museum shops! The hotel is a few blocks from the train station, the Galleria dell'Accademia (with Michelangelo's David), the open-air market and Santa Maria Novella, with plenty of cafes and a small supermarket nearby. I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 22, 2013

It's a highly rated place to stay and I felt a bit disappointed. The room we had was large and had a basic sink. Shared toilets and showers were not overrun with people which was fine but the shower needs a refurbishment. It was small and old and seemed a bit dirty, and the fact that it was small meant you pretty much touched the shower curtain and walls. The bedroom was clean and the bed was large and comfortable but facing the road and it was noisy- we woke up a few times every night. Not a good sleep, not a good rest and this obviously impacts on your energy and enjoyment of the city during the day. As a minimum I hope guests are offered courtyard facing rooms when they are available, and that guests are warned about the noise aspect of the other rooms. I felt it was too expensive for what it offered and I probably wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sara5612
ILBargellino, Owner at Hotel Il Bargellino, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Thanks for the feedback. We welcome the opportunity to hear any concerns guests may have. It's pleasing to hear that you did not experience any access issues when using our common facilities. And while it may have felt somewhat small, the common shower is actually 25% larger than standard hotel showers. Also, we can assure you that all facilities are cleaned and sanitized daily, as well as monitored throughout each day.

We are fortunate that most guests consider the Bargellino ideal in terms of both accommodations and location...inside Florence's ancient city walls and within easy walking distance to all major sites. However, it is still a very urban setting and as such, with that come the "sounds of the city". Occasionally a guest will take us up on our offer of earplugs, but that doesn't happen too frequently. And lastly, we try to make every effort to accommodate specific room requests when possible, but are sometimes full and therefore unable to fulfill said requests. Again, thanks for staying with us, and we truly hope you would reconsider the Bargellino should you return to Florence.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We loved our stay at Il Bargellino!. Carmel (formerly from Boston) and John are great hosts. This lovely hotel is within walking distance of all major sights in Florence. Carmel gave us some great information as to sights and restaurants. The hotel has great rooms decked out with antique furniture. We had a room which opened up onto a huge terrace available to all guests. We spent part of one afternoon on the terrace with their pet parrot and the neighbor's cat. Very clean. We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: The rooms which open to the terrace are well worth the small extra cost.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bobzech
Reviewed July 4, 2013

The place is clean, the staff is nice and speak English.
The terrace is gorgeous. They have a nice parrot that goes around the place. We stayed 3 nights in a room with shared bathroom. It was perfect.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Orzone
ILBargellino, Owner at Hotel Il Bargellino, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Thank you so much for your lovely review. It means so much to us that you took the time!
We hope to have you back in the not too distant future,
Carmel and Pino

We'd also like to take this opportunity to say that all of us (Carmel, Pino, Rosita and Leo) here send our thanks to all of you for the overwhelming outpouring of favorable comments for Hotel Il Bargellino. We work hard to ensure every one's stay is comfortable and it's nice to hear that our efforts are appreciated!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We were fortunate to stay at Hotel IL Bargellino for a night in May. What a beautiful hotel. Our room was number 6 with the newly remodeled bathroom which was huge and beautifully appointed. The room had a queen size bed, desk, refrigerator, LaVazza café maker, and wardrobe. The bathroom had a three-mirrored dressing table and a blow dryer in addition to the normal fixtures. The room had an elegant feel to it with very high ceilings and a chandelier. The room was 90 euro a night and included wi-fi. Some rooms open right out onto the big terrace which has many chairs, lounge chairs, tables, and umbrellas for shade.

One will feel very safe and secure at this hotel. There are security cameras so the proprieters know who belongs at the hotel and who doesn’t. The proprieters live on property and are very helpful. Carmen even helped us get parking for our rental car at a rate of 21 euro for 24 hours, as compared with the SMN train station rate of 72 euro for 24 hours. This hotel is very close to the train station so one could easily walk there if you took the train into Florence. I’d advise anyone to get a really good map of Florence. We walked everywhere from the hotel.

Carmen has done a wonderful job on the hotel’s website, listing many helpful tips. She even assists with advanced reservations so one doesn’t have to wait in line at some of the attractions.

Our only disappointment was that we couldn’t stay longer.

Room Tip: Some rooms open directly to the terrace, but room #6 is wonderful
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 1Happytraveler1USA
Reviewed June 17, 2013

April 2013, Florence, Italy

For 15 days my mother and I had the pleasure of staying with Carmel and Pino, Owners of Hotel Il Bargellino.

This place is what Italy is all about! Emerged in the heart of Florence, just 15 minute drive from the Airport, with in walking distance of the train station, and close to most all of Florence's historical attractions.

The hotel room was nice, clean, and I especially love the terrace, our room was off the terrace, you just step out of your room and there it was.

Carmel, an American, specks both English and Italian; she helped arrange day trips for us, which was a big help, and had great pointers of what to do around the city. Her and Pino were gracious hosts! Love this place.

I would recommend Hotel Il Bargellino to anyone who wants to experience original Italian cultural.

Can’t wait to visit again…ciao ciao Carmel and Pino.

~Cherie Ridenour