The hotel is conveniently located two blocks from the train station in the Piazza Santa Maria Novella. When you find the entrance, you wonder why you didn't notice it immediately. The hotel owns a few hotels on the square but all with different names. They also have one up in the hills near the Pitti Palace but that one is a five star hotel with spa (really beautiful).
You will find this hotel to have complicated hallways to get to the rooms. Up and down stairs and the use of different elevators finally got us to the right place. "You can't get there from here" was often used. The rooms are beautifully appointed with great beds, good pillows (which is not the norm in Italy) and beautiful linens. The bathrooms are pristine with lovely towels, marble floors and tubs/showers and all the latest amenities including ear plugs which will be mentioned again in this review. The towel warming racks are great for drying hand washed items over night including jeans.
The disadvantage of this hotel is even though you may think the best rooms are the ones with the view of the piazza, there is one BIG drawback...the pub under our window stays open until 1:00 a.m. and you hear EVERYTHING through your window. Even after it closes, some stragglers will continue to sit in their outdoor seating area and just normal talk goes right in through the closed window. Our daughter had another room right next to ours and she had the same problem, only solved by the use of ear plugs by both of us.
The breakfast was limited but nice, fresh and hot. You could make it into a really good meal. The employees were outstanding, acting as not only hoteliers, but as tour guides and able to locate anything for you and call for reservations. We even used their free shuttle to their sister hotel, Grand Hotel Villacora for lunch, massage and a walk to the Pitti Palace located just below.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All the rooms are furnished with air conditioning/heating, direct dial telephone, free Wi-Fi internet connection or lan cable connection, hair-dryer, minibar, bath or shower, electric safe, flat screen tv, courtesy set of "Officina Santa Maria Novella," vanity mirror, sleepers, tea pot with herb tea. Superior room with view has a splendid view over the Basilica of Santa Maria Novella, flat screen TV, mini-bar and a splendid marble bathroom ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity and Agoda so you can book your Santa Maria Novella Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Santa Maria Novella Florence
- Hotel Santa Maria Novella