“Palazzo Niccolini - great stay!”

Palazzo Niccolini al Duomo
Ranked #22 of 672 Florence B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Palazzo Niccolini - great stay!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at the Palazzo Niccolini for two nights in January 2013 & had a wonderful time. Since the hotel was not fully booked we were offered several perks that you may not be offered in high season (room upgrade with a choice of room, possibility for late check out) but the "standards" were still great. The rooms are just as nice as the photographs - clean, well appointed and full of Florentine charm. The staff was very polite & helpful - we booked tours through them. The location is just as described: right off the piazza duomo. We are "expert" travellers in Italy (my husband is Italian & I lived in Italy for many years) and after seeing many hotels there we can whole heartily recommend Palazzo Niccolini as a great local find & cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Spometti

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The Palazzo Niccolini was perfect in every aspect. We were treated as if the palazzo was our home which is such a truly unique experience. We would definitely return and stay at the Palazzo Niccolini upon future visits to Florence.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ann1058
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I chose this "hotel" based on previous reviews. Given that we love arts and at this hotel it's possible to stay in a room painted with 18th-century frescoes it was not a hard choice. Upfront they were very helpful with arranging a visit to the Vasari Corridor (very recommendable tour: but it a) lasts 3 hours and b) you need to like arts otherwise it's not so interesting i guess) and reservations in restaurants.
Everything at the hotel was top, the staff is very helpful, discrete. The premises can't be topped. Breakfast (in december mostly on our own) in a frescoed hall. Very good buffet with fruits, cereals, cakes, cheese, breads etc.
When we'll go to Florence again we will only stay at this hotel again.
Everything can be reached on foot (Piazza della Signoria/Uffizi is 10 minutes, Accademia 10, Palazzo Pitti 20), we never stepped a foot on a bus...

Room Tip: Rooms are generally on the 2nd floor. The street is only accessable for taxis so very quiet. We had...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank andre_in_oz
san diego, ca
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Wonderful, wonderful location. Old World Charm; staff friendly; this was a splurge and well worth every penny. Breakfast was wonderful - we were late one morning and staff held food for us. Wonderful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank adiosamiga
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I'm not sure if the reviewer before me didn't have the right expectations but we stayed in the same room and really enjoyed it. True, this is not a classic hotel, but if want that there are plenty of those around...if you're looking, however, for a luxurious experience and an authentic Florentine palazzo then this is it.

The room, #9, is spectacular...great views, and yes, limited furniture, but this is not your family room or den back home. As they say, when in Florence....the breakfast while extra for hot items is very good. The young lady who prepares it is extremely professional and very helpful. We arrived very late, thanks to Alitalia- don't fly them, awful airline- but I digress. The staff greeted us cheerfully and got us into our room. I had an injured ankle, again thanks Alitalia, and needed ice and a wheelchair...the staff got both for me without any question.

The location is a bit noisy especially on a weekend night, but we had the windows open, so if you closed them up, you could easily sleep late. We actually did eat in the room several times without any issue. They even served our breakfast to us in the room and brought it up on a silver platter!

All in all a very nice stay...I would have given 5 stars but I think the price was a little high for the experience..I.e., the value. ( room was around $500 a night ).

PS..we'd highly recco tour guide Paola Migliorini ...she was awesome and made the trip extra special...and she saw our room and commented, " now this is Florence!" www.florencetour.com

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Badgerhound
North Potomac
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We just stayed at the Palazzo Niccolini al Duomo. Yes, it is a beautiful palazzo with the most
fabulous furniture. Yes, it is steeped in history and yes it is right behind the Duomo. Also, the location can not be beat.
Now for the practical experience. Our room was way too small and we wanted to upgrade (we would pay) but, being October this small hotel was booked. We were told that they would try to move us and they did for the last two nights (we were there for four nights). We were moved into the "fabulous" room #9. Room #9 is a gigantic room with a very very high ceiling. It faces the Duomo which is good and bad. Good is the fabulous views. Bad are the bells ringing from the church at various times. Bad also is the fact the the room is furnished in the most beautiful antiques and here lies the problem. Because of the furniture there are signs around the room to not put glasses here or wet things there. We can appreciate that and treated the room with the utmost care. The problem was that the room just wasn't comfortable. There wasn't really anywhere to sit and relax other than the bed for the furniture was delicate etc. etc. We couldn't eat in the room because there wasn't anywhere in the gigantic room to sit and eat. I think you get the picture.
The staff here is very nice but, not really that helpful. Florence is THE place to buy leather goods but, you have to be careful of some of the places . Some are knockoffs and some are imported from outside Italy . Some of these stores slap a label on the product and call it "made in Italy". I asked for help to find a quality leather store and was told "they had no idea" .Hmmmm.
Next we asked about upscale restaurants they could recommend and they came up with nothing. By accident we came across a wonderful restaurant call Barretto (Via Del Parione) and brought a card back for the desk in case someone was looking for a very good restaurant. They promptly lost the card. Another Hmmm.
They serve a light breakfast here which is nothing special. The lovely lady in the small dining room will make you a hot breakfast but that will cost extra. I personally just need a cup of coffee. Anyway this same woman made the most delicious lemon cakes. The problem was she served the leftovers the next day along with some fresh cakes and some fresh fruit which was no longer fresh.
We tried this hotel and it was an interesting experience. Next visit will be somewhere else. Somewhere with less hype about the history, etc. Please don;t get me wrong. We appreciated our surroundings. We just need a little more.

Room Tip: Make sure you select your own room and don't let your travel agent tell you they will upgrade, n...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Nancy M
niccolini, Proprietario at Palazzo Niccolini al Duomo, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear Mrs. Nancy, thank you for your review.
I strongly regret that you did not have the best experience with us, also because part of the inconvenience I believe is due to some kind of misunderstanding:

- You were upgraded to a suite that you “would pay” but that you didn’t because we never asked you to. We always try to satisfy our clients as much as we can and so we did with you, without success. The Empire suite has antique furniture and not always people realize it, that is why we put a sign asking for carefulness, but certainly the armchairs are real (there are two) as well as the sofa (there is one) and they are made to sit on them. There is no dining table, true, but had you factually ordered a meal we would have served it to you on a perfectly set table just like the majority of respectable hotels do.
- The town center is full of churches big and small each with its bells that ring “at various times”. As you said, being right beside the cathedral has its good and bad points, at any rate as far as I know (I live in the same building as the hotel) bells only ring at appropriate times, not at night or too early in the morning.
- I guarantee the fruit salad and the cake are freshly made every morning. No doubt.
- We have a long list of restaurants of any kind and level made after a ten year experience of dealing with guest requests, I really can’t think of a reason why we couldn’t suggest one for you and I am sorry for that, as well as for the leather shop.

I hope I’ll have the chance to have you with us once again, to be able to show you our other rooms and to find the best one for you.
Best regards,
Ginevra Niccolini di Camugliano
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My spouse and I went to Florence for the weekend, and he found this absolute gem of a hotel located right next to the Duomo. My spouse booked the hotel as a surprise, so I had no idea what type of hotel or room we would be staying in- I wish we could have gotten pictures of my expression when I walked into our room. My jaw must have been on the ground for the first 20 minutes, every thing about it was so lavish and exquisite, I practically felt like royalty back in the 1700's (the building is original from the 1500s and all the items in the room are original from the 1700's- our room was one of the suites and on the 2nd floor I believe).

The room was breathtaking, from the furniture to the ceiling to the windows.The ceiling had gorgeous painted frescos and was at least 15 feet high. The bathroom was just as beautiful, a little more modern than the room since it has a renovated shower and other bathroom amenities. The windows were almost ceiling high and opened up to a beautiful view of the Duomo, it doesn't get any better than that! The bed was extremely comfortable and there were curtains to block out the sunlight when morning came, so I felt like I could sleep for hours.

The breakfast was great as well, we ordered scrambled eggs and they were made fresh to order, and there was also a buffet style of other assorted breakfast croissants, cheeses, etc. Of all the trips I have taken in Italy, this is by far my favorite and most cherished trip, mainly because of the hotel we stayed in. I could not say enough good things about the rooms, the location, the staff, the breakfast. I am just elated and cannot wait to return!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple