“Great stay - great family hotel”
Review of Hotel Colomba

Hotel Colomba
Ranked #77 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We loved our stay in Florence at the Colomba. We took the train from Rome and walked to the hotel a little walk but fun to see the markets. We were welcomed early and had a room ready, and a large one for European standards... Nice breakfast and Sabrina was so helpful, have her tell you where a great leather store is close by. Also great suggestions for dinner at local restaurants. Very close walking distance to the centre and duomo. Had umbrellas for us during the rainy weekend. Everyone was very helpful

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Would highly recommend this hotel. Clean and very well located. Owners and staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. I would definitely stay here again, great breakfast choice, walking distance to the centre for shopping, museums, street
markets and restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Nick M
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful 8 night stay at the Hotel Colomba. We felt at home at once because of the warm welcome given by the owners. The room was very spacious, spotlessly clean as was the en suite bathroom. The hotel serves a buffet breakfast which is one of the best we have ever had in Europe. The location of the hotel is unbeatable, just 5 minutes away from the Duomo on foot. In fact we went everywhere on foot. We found this a bonus when we had to be at the Academy Gallery at 8.45 am since we had time for breakfast and managed to arrive on tome since the Academy is just a few minutes away from the hotel. We felt sad when we had to leave but we'll certainly return on our next visit to Florence.

Yvonne and John Treeby ( Malta )

1  Thank Ytreeby
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Colomba in Florence for four nights. It was a great place to stay. We were warmly welcomed when we arrived. Sabina gave us a clear, concise over view of the location of the sights we might want to visit, and highlighted the routes on a map she gave us. The location of this hotel is a couple blocks north of the Duomo, so it is close enough to walk everywhere but out of the crowds. We requested a room at the back, which was quiet. It had a modern bathroom and everything was very clean. It was air conditioned, and had Sky TV.
The breakfast every morning was very good - boiled eggs, yogurt pastries and cheese, plus coffee, tea, and hot cocoa.
The staff here went out of their way to be helpful. Several days earlier, we drove through the wrong line on the Autostrada and didn't have the correct card to pay with, so got a ticket that had to be paid at the post office. There was a form to be filled out, in Italian, which we couldn't figure out. Sabina sat down with us and filled it out for us so we could take it to the post office! We would never have figured it out on our own, and would have been scofflaws.
Sabina and Rosanna gave us directions for several restaurants, how to get the bus to Piazzale Michaelangelo, and arranged for a taxi to pick us up at 5AM to get to the airport for our return flight home. We thought this was a great place to stay in Florence, and would stay there again if we return.

3  Thank barbrw99
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We feel we had excellent value at the Columba Hotel. The room was spacious, clean, air conditioned. The TV even had language options (ie. English). The bed was comfortable. What we liked best is the staff were friendly and helpful and breakfast was very good, much better than expected. We were there September 22/23 and there were no mosquitoes. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

2  Thank Maryam W
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights here in mid Sept 2013. The location is near many tourist sites, so it is easy to walk around. Our room was very quiet and the bed and pillows were very enjoyable after the long flight from SF. The hotel owners and employees are very friendly and helpful. Elevator is small, but what do you expect for a very old building in Europe, but it does work.

Room Tip: We had room #14, which is near the back.
2  Thank sierraartist
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Location: This hotel is perfectly located if this is your first visit to Florence. You are a block away from the duomo and the main streets.

Elevator:
I didn't love the hotel though. It was hard to bring the luggage up the elevator because it was so small. Sometimes, the elevator was not working, or was occupied by the laundry service, so you would have to take the stairs. It's only two flights, but I have leg issues sometimes so it made things difficult.

Rooms: The hotel rooms are very clean and spacious. Some of the hotels we had in other parts of Italy wouldn't even allow us to open two suitcases, so I appreciated that.

Bathroom: The bathroom is spacious, but I didn't like the shower and the toilet being so close. If you took a shower and then needed to use the toilet, there would be water on your feet. The towels weren't real towels. I'm not sure what to call them, but they are similar to table clothes. On a positive note, the water pressure and temperature in the shower were great.

Something that bothered me were the mosquitos in the room. When we arrived, the attendant gave us something to insert into the sockets to keep the mosquitos away. We were shocked because we've never stayed in a hotel with this problem. We asked where they were coming from and we were told that they came in through the open windows. We decided not to open them for the duration of our stay. We killed at least 5-6 of them while we were there, despite this. On closer inspection, previous visitors did the same when we found lots of dead squished mosquitos on the wall.

Breakfast: We stayed at four hotels during our trip to Italy. This was my least favourite breakfast. It wasn't bad, but just not my favourite. There are not any hot options. There is some cereal, a few pastries, bread upon request, and coffee upon request and some yogurt. Very standard, but I'm not sure why people loved it (maybe I'm missing something?). The atmosphere in the room was a bit tense and awkward (I felt bad asking for coffee...maybe it was just in my head though).

Service: The cleaning staff and older gentleman were very nice. The rest of the workers ignored us. They didn't do anything awful, but they weren't overly friendly either. No greeting upon arrival into the hotel, no goodbye, no offer to help etc. One time, the attendant was on the phone as we were exiting and needed to give our key to this person. We waited a while for this person to get off the phone and take our key (they could've taken it and stayed on the phone). Again, not the end of the world, but much different from other hotels we stayed at.

Security/ safety: I felt safe in the hotel. Like I said above, the hotel is located near the main touristy area. In the opposite direction of the Duomo, there are some side streets that I didn't feel comfortable walking at night. Lots of men lurking and eyeing us...it made me very uncomfortable. Either avoid those streets, or travel in packs.

This is one of those hotels where you leave the key at the front when you exit and get it back when you come return. We've had this at other hotels so this wasn't an issue. My issue was that at least 3 times, there was nobody present at the front desk and the front door was open with all the keys and the room numbers visible. We took our key ourselves a few times after waiting for a few minutes and nobody showing up.

Value: We paid around $240 per night for this hotel. I realize I wasn't going to get a five star hotel with this money, but I didn't know it was going to be this basic. I would've felt better if it was a bit cheaper for what we were getting. We booked this hotel based on the excellent trip advisor ratings. Next time, I would probably pay a bit more for some things that are important to me (separate shower, real towels, no mosquitos). I would probably stay over the river, where it's less touristy. If it's your first time in florence and you want a central location, and don't mind the issues that I brought up, this hotel is great. Otherwise, you might want to reconsider.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank Missmunks15
colomba, Owner at Hotel Colomba, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Thank you for the extensive review. I am glad that not everything was a negative experience for you. It is unfortunate that you happened to be here the occasional time the elevator was out of order, and that on one occasion it coincided with the laundry delivery, it happens twice a week! As for the towels they are not tablecloths, they are beehive weave. Like many other places on the globe Florence has mosquitoes, we have been providing for many, many years 'mosquito repellent' there is one in every room and sometimes people think they are room fresheners!! At breakfast we try to offer something for everyone from celiacs, diabetes, vegetarians etc. Everything is placed on the buffet and you can help yourself...what is available on request is Toast. We offer a variety of hot drinks and we are very happy to make all the coffee, chocolates teas one can drink there is no charge for this so I don't understand your comment. In regards to security, it is not a problem usually even if the door is open, we may be momentarily occupied with some other guest. but we are never far away. In fact we always say to guests that if we can help in any way or if there anything at all to let us know. Obviously it has become more fashionable to write indirectly rather than speak with the those concerned.