“We expected more from this hotel”
Review of Hotel Colomba

Hotel Colomba
Ranked #78 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed May 3, 2011

My wife and I stayed in five cities in Italy and in Paris during a trip in April. All of the accommodations that we booked were 3 star hotels, so we expected some consistency in the rooms/services/staff. For the most part on our trip we did experience consistency, however Hotel Colomba was an exception to that for us. We booked our room after much consideration and reading many reviews on TripAdvisor.

When we arrived, the staff was friendly and provided us with a map. We were shown to our room, which was immediately next to the reception desk. The room was a triple, so it was much larger than we expected having booked a double. The view was into a courtyard that smelled of sewage and had a view of a laundry line. The bathroom was long and narrow with cracked caulking, some mildew in the shower and a bi-fold door. The furniture in the room looked like it may have been purchased from Ikea a number of years ago. Our bedspread was frayed in a number of places and my wife and I found the bed to be the least comfortable of those we experienced during our trip. The location of our room didn't help our sleep as the door into the hotel would slam with each returning guest and we would hear the front desk greet people as they returned. The first time we left the hotel and returned, we were met with an odd look by the new people working the front desk. When we said hello they asked us why we didn't give them the key when we left. We told them we hadn't been told we needed to and we were then reprimanded for not having left our key. While we did have to leave keys at a couple of other hotels after, this was the first property that we had to check in and out. They needed to tell us to leave the key and we would be happy to. This hotel was fine, but I felt like I was a college student staying at a hostel. It didn't compare to the other three star hotels in which we stayed during our trip and many of the reviews on this site led me to believe that the hotel was much nicer than it actually is. Breakfast was fine as well. We at cereal and a pastry, but, again, it didn't compare to the other three star hotels and my wife and I didn't care for the coffee that I know others have said is the best they have had. I would spend a little more money next time and stay somewhere else if I had it to do again.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel
3  Thank tpcrider
colomba, Owner at Hotel Colomba, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2011

Yet again I find myself trying to justify a not so positive comment by guests.
Florence being the city that it is, it is rather 'normal' that some problems emerge every now and then. The sewage smell mentioned was momentary thing, believe me! I would not have been living here for 23 years if that had been the case. Given that the person had researched and after 'much consideration' decided to reserve here. I fail to understand the terms of comparison with the other 'more luxurious 3 star hotels' where they stayed. All our other guests, tell us that they choose our hotel because they want a friendly atmosphere, a clean, safe environment, and a central location. In regards to the 'reprimand' I am sorry for that impression, but we usually explain that leaving the key enables us to keep track of guests' movements, if we need to clean the room, transfer phone calls etc.
Obviously your college was much more upmarket than mine!!

Reviewed April 28, 2011

We stayed in Hotel Colomba over the Easter weekend for 3 nights, and I am glad we chose this hotel. It has everything you need, and is very centrally located for visits to the Duomo, Academia etc.The hotel is situated on the 2nd floor and has a small lift, on arrival we were greeted with a friendly smile given a handy map of the city and some useful information.The room was quite big, with a good bathroom and shower and plenty of toiletries and a handy travel toothbrush ! The view was of some pretty balconies and terraces in the appartments opposite.There was a minibar fridge in the room well stocked with water, beer crisps etc. I found the room quiet at night with no street noises, and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast was perfect with cappucinos or espressos made as requested, boiled eggs, rolls, cereals, cheese etc. It was a lovely surprise Easter Sunday morning to lift my napkin and find lots of yummy chocolate eggs underneath.Hotel Colomba is just perfect for a stay in Florence and I would definitely recommend it to a friend and wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else if I am in Florence again.

Room Tip: Great olive oil food shop other side of street
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Our stay here was everything you could ask for - room was spacious and clean, king-size bed, bathroom well equipped. Lots of choices on TV. Minibar with a good selection, all very reasonably priced. Desk staff were fabulous - very friendly and helpful with any request. We were made to feel very welcome. Great breakfast and the best coffee we had anywhere. Hotel is located within walking distance to most attractions - about a 10 min walk from the station. Fast, reliable and free internet! No complaints about this hotel and would recommend it to anyone. Would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed April 25, 2011

A wonderful stay was enjoyed by the whole group. The staff speak English and go out of their way to assist and give advice. The hotel is centrally located - just a few minutes walk from the S. M. Novella railway station, the Borgo San Lorenzo markets and il Duomo. The rooms were very comfortable and spacious and the breakfasts were to die for! There are also laundromats, cafe's and handy shops located nearby. Highly recommended for large or small group travellers or single travellers. We all will return to stay at Colomba on our next trips to this marvellous city. Thanks to the staff for making our stay so relaxing and memorable!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Livia13
Reviewed April 23, 2011

The owners and staff were very accommodating and fun! Absolutely no complaints. The room was large and very clean. The breakfast was better than average, with caffe latte made to order.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 19, 2011

When I decided to come to Florence I was looking for a central Hotel. Hotel Colomba is very close to the Cathedral, and located in a wonderful place. My room was very comfortable, clean and wide. The service's quality was absolutely brilliant thanks to the great experienced staff. Hotel Colomba's staff is extremely kind and friendly. The Hotel Colomba's strong point consists in its homely disposition! HEARTILY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Philip91
Reviewed April 18, 2011

We stayed at Hotel Colomba for three nights and would recommend it. The location of the hotel is fantastic for Duomo, Galleria dell'Accademia, and many other sites. Good restataurants are also nearby.

The staff/owners are the real gem of the hotel and we felt like we were treated as friends. They helped us book museum tickets, directed us to restaurants and NEVER looked like we were hassling them in the slightest. For us, having access to a smiling and english speaking person to hand was worth quite a bit!

The hotel is kept extremely clean and our room while a bit dated was large and nicely appointed with TV, Sky, fridge, and A/C (accessible only after May we are told).

We opted to walk to the hotel from the train station and would not recommend this if you have heavy baggage or young/elderly people in your group. It is not too far, but the roads are narrow in places and the pavement and road is often uneven and difficult to navigate with the added complication of and weight of luggage. If you are looking for a great budget hotel with a perfect location, Hotel Colomba is a great option.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family