“rude manager - ruins the sense of holiday”
Review of Hotel Panama

Hotel Panama
Ranked #249 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed September 20, 2012

we were just in this hotel for one night and that was enough to put us off totally. we were going to be eaten alive as the bed had so many bugs that we discovered at night. there was a mosquitoe repelant in the room that we noticed and joked that in Europe, there isnt a need for this but realised other wise the minute we opend the door to the patio - which by the way is only a little extra room at the end of the room as you cant really see beyond the high walls. we also noticed a stink in the room the minute we entered and assumed that this might be due to the lack of ventilation, another reason why we had to open the door to the patio (i will call it the adjoining room as this is a better description for this room with a slight gap in the ceiling that allows looking at the sky and really high walls. definately not a 'patio') the air con didnt work. the night shift manager came in to check this and said he would call his boss, he callled once he finished speaking to the boss who we then spoke to the next morning, accusing us of being rude and disturbing him late at night. i was so surprised by his non apologetic manner! he insisted that the managers report was accurate and not or complains. he also leaned forward towards my wife and i in a threatning manner raiseing his voice and banging his fist on the wooden table. i was actually very shocked to see someone bully us on our holiday. he mentioned that we are making these complaints up as in his experience (which by the way he said was more than my age, and he has been traveling and working even before i was born - his exact words) people make stories up when they find one wrong thing in the room and say that everything was wrong. he also said that the air con doesnt work as it is very expensive to centrally get this working - why call it an air conditioned room then?

Room Tip: avoid this hotel like the plague. there are plenty of other hotels and it is absolutely worth it spe...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank satyampandey
Régis R, Proprietario at Hotel Panama, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear Sir,

We won't reply to your second review as we consider that we have already answered to your complain titled "run as far away as possible from the stinking hotel".

What has happened does clearly shows that provocatively you want do damage our hotel without having to give any constructive criticism to our work which we love and put out efforts day by day getting back fortunately joy and satisfaction.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I have just checked out of this place that claims to be a hotel. Our room was a torture chamber with stink like that of a dead animal and no windows at all. There was a door to a patio but the patio had really high walls so we could only look up at the sky. The ac didn't work, shower threw out brown water for a couple of seconds before clen water came out. Bed bugs galore, didn't get a single second of sleep. I think room 404 is the worst, I heard all other guests in the breakfast table discussing similar complains but my room (404) won the sickest room contest. I went to speak to the manager, an elderly man who banged the wooden table in denial and accused me of being a liar. When I told him that at mid night, when I couldn't take the torture anymore, I had called the night shift manager to complain and request for atleast a air freshner if not a room change, the guy complained about me to his boss - saying that I disturbed his sleep at night by calling him and making such demands. The breakfast was stale with no fresh juice. Since I was successful in showing a bed bug bite and telling the manager that I am not lying, he compensated me by not charging me for for parking, which is 18 euros, I paid 168 for no sleep, I suggest anyone considering this hotel should instead find out a homeless peoples camp to spend the night.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank goswamikavita
Régis R, Proprietario at Hotel Panama, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

“Run as far away as possible from this customer”

Dear Sir, Madam

I do answer with pleasure to your complaint as some of the things that you have written are not correct.
At the moment of the check-in you have been given room 404 which suited you fine. Only when you came back at around midnight you found all sorts of problems such as bed smell (NOT CORRECT) reported by night porter, air conditioning not running (CORRECT, IT WAS CLOSED AS END OF HOT SEASON), mosquitoes (POSSIBLE, WE DO HAVE ANTI-MOSQUITOES ELECTRIC APPLIANCE IN EVERY ROOM). Finally one big lie: bed bugs. In that case you refused – at check-out time - to go up in the room to show me the bed bugs. You arrogantly asked to be reimbursed after you spent a night in any case we have granted free parking and this strong complaint was only aiming to obtain the reimbursement of a pre-paid room. Unfair.

Best regards

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Not sure if it's considered more B&B, but we adored this hotel. The location was away from the big city sites, which was nice and quiet, and we are only in our 30's. BUT 3 blocks over and your in the action. Street markets, restaurants, shopping and attractions. The hotel offers bikes. This was HUGE. My husband and I saw so much more of Florence with those bikes. Not the best bikes, but fit the bill. We loved it!
Hotel: Very Clean!! Extremely nice staff and helpful!! Ask for restaurant recommendations. We had a backyard/Courtyard view, which was nice cause it wasn't facing the street. Descent sized rooms. It's cozy. All bathrooms are small in Europe we noticed but this was clean and laid out well.
Cons would be: The sheets. They weren't the softest. Could went for an evening cocktail hour, no bar there. Elevator is small.
Loved our stay!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2012

The father and son owners and their staff were very friendly and offered helpful advice. An easy 15 minute stroll to the centre of town, 5 minutes to Tito's excellent Tuscan food restaurant(best to book as always busy),5 minutes to supermarket,free push bikes, clean and roomy. We highly recommend this hotel. My only disappointment is that I did not leave a tip. Hopefully this review makes up for that?

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This place is just far enough away from the center of town to be very nice. The price was very good and the room was great. We chose the room with the enclosed bathroom and the ceilings were tall and decorated. Oh how grand. It is a nice walk to the attractions of the old city and you don't have to pay a fortune or stay in an old cramped dingy place where you can't park a car. If you happen to have a car there is parking at this hotel.

Room Tip: The room with the balconey and bathroom on suite is a great place to book.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2012

my wife and i recently stayed at the hotel panama in florence for four noghts whilst on our way to see my wifes family further south in italy, it was a very pleasant stay the hotel was
in a fine location only about 15 minutes walk to the main sights, the brakfast was fine/
adaquate for my wife and i but maybe not for some. the owners were brilliant and could not have been more helpful and polite and the same goes for the staff.as they did not have a restaurant they recomended 2 to us we went to one on the first noght and were so impressed we wnt back again. it was exceptionally clean and the bed was so comfortable (one of the best i have slept on in all my years of travelling.
i would recomend this hotel to anybody and would not hesitate to stay there again when we go back to florence.
giovanna and alan roberts. august 2012

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Very nice small hotel in Florence. In a quiet neighborhood, very close to the city center (2 or 3 bus stops). Good breakfast choices. Staff is very helpful and unobtrusive. At the reception they also have the ticket for public transport, which is very useful.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business