“Indifferent”

Brown Sugar Lounge Bar
Ranked #1,003 of 2,676 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Uffizi
Greater London, United Kingdom
“Indifferent”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I ate here with my partner in November 2012 on her birthday and to be honest, I left disappointed (if not slightly annoyed) which is quite a rarity.
The restaurant had a nice atmosphere and was reasonably priced and whilst the food was decent (I enjoyed the risotto), I think the service from the waitress on the night leaves much to be desired.

Firstly, she wasn't very helpful with the menu. Saying "everything is good" when asked for recommendations really doesn't showcase the specialties of the restaurant nor her knowledge of the dishes on offer and is a slap in the face to other waiters/waitresses who genuinely try to offer helpful tips to diners.

Secondly, she tipped over one of our wine glasses (albeit accidentially) which splashed onto the floor and our shopping bags. As apologetic as she was, she was more concerned about replacing our glass and refilling it rather than actually cleaning up the spill. (I think we actually did more wiping than she did).
The floor remained wet until someone (who we assumed was the boss/manager) noticed and cleaned up the wet floor upon ushering newly arrived diners to the table next to us.
The waitress, for some odd reason, did not return to serve us for the rest of the night.

Another thing I should mention is that after I first made a reservation via email in October, I sent another email asking if the restaurant would kind enough to arrange something small for my partner, as it would be her birthday on the night we dined in - NO RESPONSE.

Overall, the service was not up to scratch and this left a sour taste in my mouth. Since the food was not amazing, I fail to find a reason to return to Brown Sugar.

Ben

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank bnyla

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Glen Cove, New York
“Great find!”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stopped in to the Brown Sugar for lunch as we strolled down Via Condotta after shopping at the Pinocchio Store right across the narrow lane. What a wonderful lunch it turned out to be! The owner, Nash , came over to chat with us and his English was better than mine. He asked what we liked and recommended dishes which were delicious. The bathroom was spotless. I would go back this restaurant in a heartbeat.

• Visited March 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Nice dinner”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I'm a little confused that there is a comment by another reviewer that dinner isn't offered here. We were their at 7pm on Friday night .... and had dinner. Food was nice, service was good and had no complaints. The young man looking after us was run off his feet, but very helpful regardless. That is the reason that service gets 'average' as they shouldn't expect the waiter to run front of house as well. The ricotta ravioli with beetrot was the pick of our dishes. Very reasonably priced.

• Visited March 2013
Florence, Toscana, Italy
“Puzzled”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I visited this place for the first time in Oct 2012 and loved the food so much that I decided to write a review and gave this restaurant a 5 star!

But, to my astonishment, I was back at this restaurant in February 2013 and the food was awful. I mean really awful. We both ordered pasta dishes and couldn't finish both of our dishes. The pasta came with just noodles and tasteless sauce. Very very disappointed. The menu was also a lot more limited as compared to the first time.

Could it be that this restaurant change its chef?

I really liked the food on my first visit and I really hope that they gain back their quality.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Erna M
New York
“Wonderful!!!”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This review is long overdue, but has been etched in my mind and memory of our great Italy vacation in the summer of 2012

We had lunch here as a break from shopping. The manager Bessi welcomed us very warmly and made sure we were happy with the food, which was simply delicious by the way. A great restaurant in a great convenient location. Highy recommend it.

• Visited July 2012