“Location”

Delle Nazioni Hotel
Ranked #175 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Just returned from weekend in Florence, and stayed again in Hotel Delle Nazioni . We arrived on Saturday afternoon at Santa Maria novella train station . The rain was really really heavy and the wind blustery , we came out and were in our hotel in about 6minutes , how good is that . I have been to other cities and walked around in circles trying to find hotels which state they are a few minutes from train station!!!. Hotel Delle Nazioni is also very close to the Sita bus station, there are loads of really good resturants nearby, . The staff are friendly and helpful and the entire hotel is very clean . They could improve on the breakfast , fruit could be added , . Great hotel and will definitely return again .

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IrelandDuchess
Write a ReviewReviews (1,390)

Reviewed January 28, 2013

The Delle Nazioni Hotel is located about 200 meters from the Santa Maria Novella train station. It's an ideal hotel if you're arriving to Florence by train. A short walk from the hotel to most major attractions make this an ideal Tourist hotel. The staff were Friendly and courteous. Our room was larger then most and had a balcony overlooking the city. The room was clean and the bed comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike M
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Delle Nazioni was more of a modern hotel, which was surprising, but nice. The room was small but enough for a couple, the bathroom was tiny and uncomfortable.
Breakfast was average, but there was free cappuccino.
Location was great, just in front of the station and close to the main sites.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kishuyag
Reviewed January 13, 2013

In November 2012 I stayed for a week at the Delle Nazioni in Florence.

When planning my trip I used the reviews on this and other such websites to guage the quality of what was supposed to be a mid-range hotel. The reviews seemed reasonable and the price for a week was good for a room with a double bed and bed and breakfast.

After arriving by taxi outside the hotel, my first impression was not great, the building did not look great from the outside and the area seemed a little rougher that I was expecting but inside the hotel, it was actually quite nice.

I arrived in the evening and was checked in quickly and efficiently by the guy on the desk. There was an additional charge of 3 euros per day, that I had to pay on arrival and that was a tax imposed by the city which I was already aware of as it was mentioned on the Thomas Cook website when I made the booking.

I had a room on the third floor and at first glance it looked clean and tidy with reasonably stylish decor. The bed was a good size are quite comfortable. The bathroom was clean but as I am quite a large chap, I felt the shower was a little on the small size and had trouble picking up the soap when I dropped it,

While everything seemed fine at first, an issue became apparent after a few hours in my room. The room became very warm, even with the window open and though there was an air conditioning system, it was not possible to control it from within the room, instead it was controlled by the hotel and was essentially one system for each floor. The air con did eventually come on but not until part way through the night and when it came on, it actuallty woke me up. I managed to get back to sleep but when I woke up in the morning, I had an awful cough. I have asthma and an allergy to certain types of dust and it felt like the air conditioning was just blowing out hot dust. I got out of the room and after a couple of hours I felt more or less fine again.

I am not one to complain much so I didn't bother saying anything about it and the second night it was not as bad. By the third night,and for the rest of the week, it didn't really bother me, so it was probably just dust had built up in the air vent in the room and after the first night, it had mostly been blown out and had settled in the room and its only when I breathe in dust that it actually bothers me.

For the rest of the week, there were no real issues with the room or hotel though one oddity was that some guests were asked to hand in their room key each time they left the building while I was not asked. For the whole week I was wondering if I was supposed to hand it in and they had just forgotten to tell me or if it was only certain rooms.

A good point to the hotel was that there was a vending machine on some of the floors which was handy. They also had a good selection of tour leaflets at the reception and you could book them through the hotel.

When I booked my stay at the hotel, I booked bed and breakfast, I did however decide not to eat at the hotel. I did take a look at the selection on offer and it seemed like a standard continental style breakfast buffet but I decided to find something a bit more interesting and to my own taste. Because of this I cannot comment on the quality of the food provided by the hotel.

One benefit to staying at this hotel is if you plan to travel around Tuscany or to other parts of Italy as it is over the road from the train and bus stations.

For those just staying in Florence, it is not far from the city centre. By my calculations, it takes about 2-4 minutes to Santa Maria Novella church and about 7-10 minutes by foot to get to the Duomo and the city centre. This largely depends on your route but cutting through the underground shopping mall in front of the train station can both speed up or slow down your journey depending on if you go in any of the shops.

In most aspects, the hotel was good and value for money. I gave it 3/5 but I would have given it 4/5 were it not for the air conditioning.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Zebramanii
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Hotel Delle Nazioni is located about 200 meters from the Santa Maria Novella train station so it's a perfect hotel if you're arriving to Florence by train or by the airport bus. There are a couple good restaurants (favored by the locals) on the same street as well as good supermarkets to buy your necessary water and wine bottles, prosciutto and Italian cheeses. It takes about 10 minutes to walk to the Piazza del Duomo and 15 minutes to Ponte Vecchio.

The double room in the hotel was good in size, typical hard European mattress in bed, wooden floor, good bathroom with a shower, spacious closet, free WiFi, no fridge. There was even a small balcony with a view to the Duomo and a table and two chairs, great for the summer time. The only negative issue in the room were ants, which kept wandering near the television. The breakfast was okay with the basic stuff, it keeps you going until the lunch time.

Check-in and check-out were quick and the staff at the reception was very helpful.

Room Tip: Get a room from the upper floors, the traffic – especially the tram – on the street is a bit noisy...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank TravelWithKristiina
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Delle Nazioni Hotel

The hotel is just to the right of the train station. It will take about 3 mins walk to the hotel from the train station.
I got a room with balcony. The view was excellent and the room was big and spacious. The bathroom was nice and there is a bathtub in the room too.
The staff at the front desk was very friendly and check in was easy and without hassle.
There is no kettle in the room but the staff was very helpful and gave us hot water for coffee and cup noodles.
Internet in the hotel is also fast and stable. The best thing is the breakfast is really great! Although there is not alot of variety, but the scrambled eggs was one of the best I have tasted.
It was really an enjoyable and great stay.
To summarize
Pros
1) Hotel location was great. Attractions are within walking distance and the train station is just a stone throw away.
2) Breakfast is great
3) Staff is very friendly and helpful
4) Wifi is fast and stable
5) Computers are available in the business centre if necessary. There is also some board games near the lobby for you to pass time if required
6) Vending machines are available for snacks, water or drinks
7) There is a convenience store by the corner if you require any necessaries.
8) Bus terminal to the outlet is just around the corner
9) A few restuarants nearby for food and drinks
10) Great view from the balcony, there is a table and 2 chairs for you to enjoy a glass of wine while looking at the scenery.
11) Walking distance to almost all the attractions
12) When the windows are closed, you do not hear any noise from the trains nor from the other rooms.
Cons
There is some steps before you reach the lobby and you might have to carry your lagguage up the steps before you can reach the front desk.
Other than this, I do not find anything bad about the hotel.
I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: There is a free walking tour. Although it is free, we did tip the guide as he provided a good explai...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PandaMoy
Reviewed December 23, 2012

The good points: Next to the train station makes it easy to find. The hotel management was very professional and helpful. The breakfast was very good with many choices and scrambled eggs were tasty. We had a room on the fourth floor, with a decent view of Venice and a balcony.

The not so good: The room smelled like too much air freshner. When we used the heater, cigarette smoke blew through the vent and caused the room to reek like an ashtray. Pillows were horrible and the mattress was uncomfortable. The walls were paper thin and you could hear conversations next door. The decor was straight out of the 1980's, and I think that was the last time they cleaned the comforters on the bed too. They just seemed very gross.

Room Tip: Probably something on the fifth floor facing the rear of the building.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
superfuffi, Direttore generale at Delle Nazioni Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Dear Mr. Campagnolo,
We thank you for your review but we think you have messed up with another hotel in Venice as you wrote in your review. Please, could you revise it? This is Hotel Delle Nazioni in Florence.
Thank you.