“Room With A View..The Movie Version”
Review of Hotel Degli Orafi

Hotel Degli Orafi
Ranked #34 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed February 11, 2006

I have been visiting Florence for 20 years staying often with friends who live there but on occassion in two hotels near the same location of this hotel, close to the River Arno and the Ponte Vecchio. I love the movie "Room With A View" and visited this hotel before it closed due to damages when the Uffizi was bombed in 1993. I was pleasantly surprised to find it remodeled and open so booked a room on the spur of the moment on the internet, asking for a room with a view if available. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a larger room with a view of the river and bridge. The hotel is so close to the bridge that at night the sounds of the musician on the bridge wafted into our room. We enjoyed the magnificent ceiling in the breakfast room with the bountiful buffet that included fresh fruit,American style scrambled eggs for those not satisfied with the pastries, and great caffe! The bathroom was floor to ceiling beautiful marble with good lighting. Be sure to stop into the computer room with ancient frescoes revealed during the restoration. This hotel is worth a splurge!

• Stayed: January 2006
6  Thank katieself
Write a ReviewReviews (1,578)

Reviewed February 11, 2006

We were absolutely thrilled with this hotel which we stayed at for 4 nights. The Degli Orafi is ideally situated a stone's throw from the Ponte Veccio and the Uffizi, in what was once a convent, then a palace. The breakfast room is in a beautiful room overlooking the Arno, with a superbly painted ceiling. There is no restaurant at the hotel (who would want one when there are so many different places to try in the old city?) but there is a bar and terrace on the top floor with lovely views - and you will get a free welcome drink there too ! I don't know whether it is now hotel policy, but like other reviewers we got an upgrade to a suite with a terrace and views - and we had shopped around on the internet for the hotel so we got it at a really good price too (about the same rate as pensions much further out of the city centre).

• Stayed: February 2006
5  Thank NinaS
Reviewed December 31, 2005

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. The room was booked by our agent. They were overbooked, so we were given a luxury apartment with one bedrooms, a seperate living room, kitchen and top-story views instead of our single king bedroom request. The location is fantastic. The room, the bathroom were very clean, the cleanliness for us is extremely important and this was the best in all our trip. The breakfast was excellent specially considering the breakfast standard and choices in other Italy locations and hotels, the breakfast room was grand. The staff were excellent very friendly, very helpful, over all very positive experience. I will strongly recommend it to my friends and family.

• Stayed: October 2005
10  Thank NYVMAN
Reviewed November 20, 2005

We enjoyed the Hotel Degli Orafi and its central location. They were overbooked, we think so we were given a luxury apartment with two bedrooms,living room, kitchen and top-story views instead of our single king bedroom request. Very nice bedding and baths, terrific breakfast buffet in centuries- old ballroom with view of the Arno. Great location and nice staff.

10  Thank SophieConcord
Reviewed November 11, 2005

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights last weekend (Thursday - Monday) with my boyfriend and we were extremely impressed. The position is totally unbeatable and practically at the foot of the Ponte Vecchio. Everything from the reception to the bar is impeccably presented and the staff our very polite and helpful. We were lucky enough to have an upgrade to an executive room (411) which had a bed the size of my entire lounge, a well stocked mini bar and a very luxurious bathroom. We didn't really have much of a view out of our window but all we had to do to get one was step out of our door, go up a little flight of stone steps and there we were in the hotel's restaurant complete with its own roof top garden! Now this is a view not to be missed... the front looks right out over the Arno and the rear looks out over the town. It is absolutely beautiful and the service was faultless. If you order a botte of wine up here, you get all sorts of little nibbles and stuff with it. They also do all sorts of bar snacks and small pasta dishes (unfortunately microwaved but okay). One thing I would warn is that if you ask for something to be brought to your room (even if it's only a coffee) they add a 5 euro charge to your bill!
The breakfast was really good and is served from 7-11. They have everything you can think of; croissants, toast, scrambled eggs, bacon, cheese, fresh fruit, cereal, yoghurt, cold meats,fruit juices, tea, coffee and cappachino. Lovely.
One other thing to mention is that they have no iron or ironing boad that you can use! The only option was to send all of your clothes to the hotel laundry service but this would have cost us 68 euros so we went out and bought a little travel iron instead (it does say in the welcome pack not to use your own iron as it will make all the electricity go off in your room but that didn't happen to us so I think it was just a ploy to make them more money!). All in all we had a wonderful time and Florence is absolutely beautiful. I would highly reccommend the Accademia on Piazza San Marco to eat... try the truffle sauce ravioli - Bellisimo!

• Stayed: November 2005
15  Thank jo21summer
Reviewed October 23, 2005

My family stayed at the Orafi hotel in June and it was wonderful. I would recommend it for anyone who goes to Florence. We were upgraded upon arrival to a suite which was huge especially by european standards. The beds and bathrooms were first class and we even got a t-shirt with the hotel logo upon our arrival. My girls had a balcony with their room that faced a small alley street and was great to sit and just relax or have a lite lunch. And the location is excellent-it is right near the Uffizi and Ponte Vecchio. They had a wonderful breakfast spread with nice views of the river. The rooftop view was a wonderful place to go with a group of people to just talk. The staff was very professional. The only drawback to the hotel are the prices-snacks on the rooftop were not cheap and the internet usage was really expensive and we had to book two rooms instead of one when we could have stayed in one. My kids luckily were old enough to stay alone (10 & 12) which they loved, but it was because they didn't have to pay for the room which was not cheap. But it was 5 star quality without the 5 star price.

• Stayed: June 2005
10  Thank travellingfamilySF
Reviewed October 21, 2005

My wife and I and two other couples stayed at the Degli Orafi in September prior to embarking on a cycling trip in Southern Tuscany with Backroads (See Trip Advisor under Backroads if interested to know about the cycling trip). First off, I had made all the reservations since I speak Italian. Upon arrival, I announce myself and present an e-mail with my reservation confirmation. The front desk chap looks at me funny, goes back into his office for a minute, then comes back and says, "your reservation was for last night!" My face turns white as I realize I screwed up the date due to the change in day from travelling overnight from North America to Europe. The manager sees my distress and says "Tranquillo", meaning "chill, Dude" in Italian. They had a last minute cancellation and were able to accomodate us. As it happens, he gave my wife and I a room that was really an entire 2000 s.f. apartment! It was brand-new and massive. Two entire bedrooms, each with en-suite. A full living room, dining room, I mean over-the top ridiculous, all for the 300 Euro rate I had booked at. Needless to say, I was extremely grateful that we had any rooms at all on a busy Saturday night at the height of the tourist season in Florence.

Aside from this, it's really a marvellous choice for a hotel. First of all, it's located dead-centre in the heart of Florence, right near the Ponte Vecchio and the Uffizi. You could not ask for a better location. The rooms are modern, pretty, and it definitely has a boutique feel. The breakfast room is beautiful, and they give you a full breakfast. Really, a wonderful place to stay in a wonderful city, in a wonderful country.

10  Thank flunie