“Location, Location, but....”

across the road from Ponte Vecchio..... Tick
5 minutes from the Pitt Palace.....Tick
6 minutes to Piazza Della Signoria....Tick
Large, spotless bathrooms.
Great front desk staff, 50 metres from Via Dei Calzuoli, close to the best shops in Florance...
The location of this hotel is terrific, BUT!! our room was on the first floor, and the corridor where we were, had a terrible smell of sewer, which in turn ment that our room smelt of sewer, I thought it was because of the river, but my daughter's room also on the first floor but on the either side of the floor had no such smell, except her room was freezing all the time.
The Breakfast room is lovely, with great views of the river and the food is excellent.
If it wasn't for the terrible smell,I would rate this hotel a 5 out of 5.

Room Tip: Stay away from the first floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank marina88-60
HDO, Direttore at Hotel Degli Orafi, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel and for staying with us!
First of all I'd like to say that I am happy you found our location to be convenient and that we made you feel home in terms of customer service and professionality.
In regards of the bad smell that you occurred I must say, as stated to a previous traveler in the same month of stay, yes Florence at times has this sewere smell coming up from the drain. So, this is not a problem of our hotel in particular but the whole township, a matter that is already up in discussion. In particular at that time the sewer was slightly worse due to the works of a drain in the building next to us, therefore the major complaint. Usually as you might have read reviews like this are not common, therefore I cannot other than apologize that you encountered this at this particular occasion and welcome you back for another experience.
We will do our best to earn your 5 of 5! And it is a shame since I think we have so much more to be proud of, not to forget our complimentary services that are very appreciated by our guests.

Warm regards and welcome back!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Degli Orafi

Reviewed January 19, 2014

There were various things to recommend the hotel - location, views etc and they're worthwhile. The staff were happy to speak english, were accommodating and we were upgraded on check-in to a suite in the annex. The room was large, clean and nicely furnished - I have seen comments on TripAdvisor about noise from the alleys outside the annex but this wasn't noticeable to me.

We were there for three days in total and it was such a useful base for sightseeing and restaurants.

Unfortunately, there was, on the first floor, alongside the breakfast room/kitchen, an unbearable smell which smelt as though a drain was backed up and only seemed to be in that place - once in the breakfast room the smell wasn't noticeable. I mentioned it to one of the staff and was told that it was due to the lift (?!).

Also, unfortunately, our room's air conditioning was broken which meant that it was on full blast in what was a sunny but cold time in November. We had to ask twice for something to be done but in the end it was necessary to move rooms. They were very apologetic and gave us a bottle of prosecco which, I thought, was a kind gesture.

The breakfast, which we had included in our rate, was excellent and included some hot food and normal continental style choices - the windows looked out on to the river and was a very peaceful place.

Overall, fairly pleasant stay - staff were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable and the rooms were large and comfortable. I just cannot shake that gut wrenching smell.

Also, I have seen that the owners/managers do check through the comments on trip advisor and it's very nice, I think, to know that they're keen to ensure that people enjoy their stays.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Craig R
HDO, Direttore at Hotel Degli Orafi, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us after your recent stay.
As mentioned we are very aware of what our clients think about us since we daily read the reviews of our hotel on Tripadvisor and other sources online. It is highly important for us to have a dialogue with our guests and to accept and evaluate every kind of review. To give a straight-out opinion can be wonderful ( as stated by most of our reviews), or disappointing when everything doesn't go our way. To have a lovely, perfect and memorable stay is always our aim and hopefully our guests recognize our hard work to get there. I honestly did not encounter any AC problems since as you say November was pretty cold and the hotel was ready for the "Siberian weather forecast" with that a good working heating system. I will though look into this. As correctly done by our staff they listened and valuated the situation in the best way they could and moved you to another room where you could enjoy a better stay, with the complimentary bottle as a first excuse. To hear that you appreciated this little touch gives me a small comfort. Regarding the bad smell I cannot other than apologize but inform you that Florence as a city at times, depending on weather circumstances have this occational problem, a situation that we elaborate with our best efficiency.
At last I do hope that you will give us another chance to prove our efficiency and hard work by returning to us for your next stay. Me and my staff are eager to welcome you!
Our best regards

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Could not get a better location in Florence and very friendly staff. Rooms very spacious, clean and the hotel is close to all major attractions, shopping district and restaurants. All within walking distance. Highly recommend staying at this hotel when in Florence.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely review!
I am delighted that you enjoeyd every aspect of your stay at Hotel degli Orafi!
The whole team joins me to say - Welcome back!

Warm regards,

Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Degli Orafi for four nights during the Christmas holidays and were so pleased at the experience that I don't know if I would come back just because I want this memory of the hotel to stay with me. I'm not sure if they would be able to top themselves!

We booked an Executive Double Room for four nights (just over $200/night) with breakfast included. Surprise number one came when the front desk informed me they had given us a double room upgrade. We were escorted to what I can only describe as a two-story apartment loft and were left with mouths agape. The bathroom was enormous, with a toilet/bidet area separated by a sliding frosted glass door. There were complimentary toiletries, heavy towel robes and slippers. The living area was spacious, with two flat screen televisions (one on each floor) and an upstairs bedroom. We found the bed itself to be a little too firm and mentioned it to the front desk, who had the staff add a quilted feather down mattress pad under the fitted sheet the next time we stepped out of the room. The room was spotless and remained so for the duration of our stay thanks to the great work by the housekeeping crew.

The breakfast selection was fresh and extensive, while the dining area was situated in a long room with vaulted ceilings painted with frescoes and a view of the Arno. This would be a good time to note, as have others, that the hotel's location alongside the river - with the Ponte Vecchio on one side and the Uffizi on the other - is unbeatable. At one point during our stay we went to the rooftop terrace (another great view of the Duomo) to redeem our complimentary welcome drinks and were treated to some free hor d'oeuvres as well by the friendly bartender. Also a good time to mention that all the staff encountered were very friendly, professional, and pleasant.

Do not miss a chance to treat yourself and stay at Hotel Degli Orafi as it would be a grand experience to complement the grand city of Florence.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Captain_J_Spaulding

Dear Guest,

First of all I have to say that I cannot thank you enough for this marvellous description of your experience with us! Foremost it makes me proud of my staff, who welcomes you with that extra smile, cuddles you at our relaxing bar, makes sure your room is always spotlessly clean and so on. To know that our way of making every guest feel special is aknowledged gives us comfort and even more motivation to higher our ambitions. So no, do not worry we will make sure to top your last memorable stay with another excellent experience, let us know whenever you are ready for your next trip to Florence, me and my staff will be honored to have you back with us! Once againg a big thank you and see you soon!

Reviewed January 11, 2014

This hotel is perfect! My husband and I stayed here at the very end of July and we could not have been more pleased with it. It is in a great location, very close to the Ponte Vecchio. It is within walking distance to most things that you will want to do or see in Florence. And it is beautiful!

Breakfast was wonderful. Wi-fi worked well. The rooms are beautiful, elegant, and clean. A/C worked great. There is a rooftop bar as well. We ended all of our nights in Florence sitting up there taking in the view. It was quiet and had excellent views—on one side of the terrace/bar you can view the River Arno, and on the other side you can see the Duomo lit up at night.

The staff was great. We asked for restaurant recommendations and they were very helpful. Also, they were wonderful the morning we had to check out and get to the airport, by calling a taxi for us. When I return to Florence, I will be staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay with us and for your valuable feedback. Your wonderful comments regarding the hotel’s location and service is highly appreciated . It was a real pleasure to have you with us and hopefully you will, as mentioned consider us for your next trip to Italy!

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We considered the hotel's location excellent for a Florence visit. Nice room, view, cleanliness, and service. All 10's. Breakfast was very good with view of the river. Also there is a very nice rooftop bar with a view. Would love to stay here again should we be lucky enough to get back to Florence. Highly recommend this hotel for your stay.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review complimenting our hotel! It is a real pleasure to read such a good report of our service and facilities!
We hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back soon!
Warm regards,

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Location: Excellent! A good 10-15 minute walk from Statione Firenze. It is located along the Arno River and is 3-5 minutes away from Ponte Vecchio and a few steps away from the Uffizi gallery. Despite its location, it seems far removed from the noise of the busy streets since I was able to get good sleep during the 3 nights that I stayed there. The hotel also has a great roof deck which has a nice view of the Duomo
Facilities: Appropriate for its star rating. Lobby has a modern appeal to it while the rooms looks nicely antiquated. Among the three hotels that I stayed in at Italy, their bed though was probably the least comfortable. I still find the room adequately spacious for my needs though. The bathroom was very clean but the small shower cubicle (as constrained in space as a telephone booth) took some getting used to.
Food: Sumptuous breakfast!
Services: Front desk staff quite helpful in terms of directions but not so much as regard to good dining options.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank LekMD

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel and sharing your thoughts with other travelers!
It is comforting to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and I wish you thank you for your kind words about our location, rooms, bar and breakfast. I am happy you got a good night sleep in fact a extraordinary thing in a location like ours were you can step in from the city hustle and relax in the comforting lounge or top floor bar.
For extra bedding we are happy to add an extra mattress, firmer/harder pillows, extra blankets, you name it...anything you might need!

We look forward to hosting you again very soon!