“Great hotel - amazing views from roof” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni

Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni
Ranked #10 of 421 Hotels in Florence
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great hotel - amazing views from roof”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel, great staff, great rooms and amazing view from rooftop bar. I would thoroughly recommend it. The location is excellent and all main sites are within easy reach. Staff were very helpful in booking tickets for museums and recommending best sites to visit.

Make sure you visit Piazzale Michelangelo for an amazing view of Florence.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank MrAllardice
tornabuoni_1, Direttore generale at Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear MrAllardice,
thank you for the kind comment you left about the Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni 1.
I completely agree with you about the opportunity to visit Piazzale Michelangelo, where you could enjoy the second best view of Florence (after our terraces!).
Please, feel free to call me anytime if you are planning to come back in Florence.

Maria Rita Bellini

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in The Library and 3 nights in the Romantic Suite in August. Both rooms were spacious, tastefully decorated, had marble bathrooms and were clean. The Romantic Suite was larger and had a spa bath and views of the Arno River and the Ponte Vecchio. It was lovely to come back to these cool rooms after sightseeing in 38 degree temperatures (avoid going to Florence in August if you can, it is too hot and crowded with tourists).

The rooftop terraces provide great views of Florence and the breakfast has a good variety to choose from. The staff in the breakfast room are very friendly and helpful.

The front desk staff gave great recommendations for restaurants, they also provide a tour of the hotel when you arrive. They even returned my very expensive Chanel sunglasses to me when I left them on a seat in the foyer! Professional and honest!

We purchased a Firenze Card which gave us entry to all museums, art galleries and local buses for €50 each. It was good value but the best thing is you don't have to line up with everyone else and can go to the head of the line or a special entrance for Firenze Card holders. Who wants to spend their holiday lining up in the hot sun?

The Antica Torre is well located for all the sights and great shopping along via Tornabuoni.

I thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The Romantic suite was my favourite. It was spacious and had great views.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank treasureParis
Dear TreasureParis,
thank you for the wonderful words you had about the Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni 1!
Your rooms, the Romantic and the Library, were both unique, so, we only have one room for both categories and especially the Romantic has a wonderful double jacuzzi overlooking Via Tornabuoni that it worth to come back home after the sightseeing!
All the staff is proud to read about their honesty and honor regarding your Chanel glasses!
Please, feel free to contact me directly if you are planning to come back in Florence, in order to offer you our best luxury service.

Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Customer service is amazing.they helped us in changing train schedule to attend a cooking class.The hotel tour was great.
Terrace has a perfect view of florence.breakfast was heavenly there and the sunset is a daily must do ritual.rooms are comfortable.location is ideal just overlooking ponte vecchio.best stay dont miss this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Cresthill52
Dear Cresthill52,
thank you for the kind comment you made in Tripadvisor!
I'll share your words with the staff and I'll personally congratulate them for the Concierge Service: they are excellent in suggesting experiences in Florence and they are special for restaurants!
I look forward to welcome you back in Florence and please, feel free to contact me directly in case of reservation, in order to assur ethe best possible service.
Best Regards,

Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights during 2nd leg of my trip to Italy in November. It was an absolute delight to travel to Firenze at this time of the year if you hate huge crowds. Easy admission to Uffizi and Galleria dell’ Accademia without hussle if you booked online in advance was a major plus. Just a 5-7 minute taxi ride from Train Station to hotel at the cost of 9 Euro, I already found myself checking in. Check in was a breeze and the staff at the reception had given me an informative tour by showing me to my room and rooftop terraces. Check out was again swift. Hotel was so centrally located and Ponte Saint Trinita was practically at your doorstep. You can virtually walk to most tourist attractions, in particular, I liked to stroll along River Arno every day and night to enjoy such fabulous views……………simply the best location in town.

View from my room facing River Arno and Ponte Saint Trinita was spectacular. I must say, it was just breath-taking! My room was not particularly spacious (much bigger than my hotel at Milan) but well-appointed and had a sense of calmness and tranquility decorated in pastel green. I strongly recommend you to reserve a room which overlooks River Arno and Ponte Vecchio. Check that out from the hotel's official website and you will find out that they offer various category of rooms at different rates. There are other bigger rooms with fabulous decoration to suit your exquisite taste. Opt for at least a Grand Deluxe room or a higher category room facing River Arno, it’s very well worth every penny you spend.

In particular, their staffs at the reception (sorry if I mis-spelt their names, Denise and Melissa) and the breakfast room were exceptionally friendly, courteous and informative. They always greeted you with a smile. My room was spotlessly clean, my bed was unbelievably comfortable and I enjoyed every minute while I was staying there. As other viewers had also pointed out, the rooftop breakfast room/terrace was a killer. There were 2 separate rooftop terraces which offered magnificent views of River Arno and Duomo respectively. Breakfast spread was adequate to kickstart my day. Especially I need to thank one of its staffs (forget his name) at the breakfast room for making my favourite cheese and ham omelette especially for me on one day. I skipped the coffee every morning but enjoyed their great selection of herbal teas. It was nice to have a cup of complimentary afternoon tea on the rooftop breakfast room before heading off for dinner. During my stay, though there was an extensive construction work going on with scaffolding erected on the Piazza Saint Trinita, I hardly heard any noise while I was in my room.

If you are a traveller who dies for 24 x 7 room service, a grand lobby, an elegant restaurant with luxury chandeliers, Philippe Starck chairs or a few concierges who will greet you enthusiastically every time you enter the grand lobby, this is not the place for you. To be exact, this is a historical residence on the beautiful De Via Tornabuoni instead of a chain hotel. It made you feel like staying in your own home but yet with a history. You were given 2 keys when you checked in. One to your own room and the other, an electronic key to the main door (in case you wanted to enter the building after 10pm). I felt safe staying there and the other hotel guests were absolutely friendly to chat with.

Frankly, their reception desk really did look a bit odd to me, but didn't bother me at all as I would rather spend time sitting up in the rooftop terrace than hanging out in their lobby. Their reception opens every day from 7am to 10pm and as I was told there will be a night-watchman from 10pm till the reception re-opens every morning. For me, this didn't bother me much as I was sound asleep by 11pm every night.

Things to be improved on:

(1) Especially when the winter is approaching, it will be nice to have an electric kettle in each room without special request; and

(2) Wifi was not working one day, but their staff was quick to resolve the problem and got it fixed before I returned to my room in the afternoon. Service there was exceptional good.

Overall, a pleasant and wonderful stay! Without hesitation, I will certainly come back again.

P.S. I felt much safer exploring Firenze than other Italian cities. Firenze was definitely the highlights of my entire Italian trip.

Room Tip: Opt for a River Arno view room
2 Thank HKtraveller M
tornabuoni_1, Direttore generale at Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Traveller from Hong Kong,
it's such a pleasure to read your comment, especially because you mentioned many different point and many interesting arguments. I would love to express all my gratitude for all your words and I'll be happy to share your comment with all the staff!
I just would like to let you know, that, till 3 years ago, we had electric kettle in every room but we decided to remove it, because we would love to allowed our guests to have tea and coffee in our Panoramic terrace 24 hours a day for 7 days a week, as a relaxing moment to enjoy with Florence on your feet!
Please, feel free to contact me anytime and I'll be happy to welcome you personally if you are coming back Florence.

Yardley, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We enjoyed staying here! The location is great and the views from the rooftop decks were spectacular. The staff was very nice and the breakfast was terrific. The room was a little on the small side and they had some problems turning off the heat (it was warm that night), but they did their very best to accommodate us.

1 Thank Ariel P
Dear Areil,
thank you for your kind comment on Tripadvisor.
I personally apologise for the heat system one night of your stay but thanks for appreciating our work in adjusting the heating.
Please, do not hesitate to contact me if you are coming back Florence.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Booked one night at the end of a stay in Chianti to be closer to the Florence airport for an early flight. What a pleasant surprise. Large room, beautifully furnished, great views of Il Duomo and the river Arno. The rooftop terrace was the perfect place to have a drink and watch the sunset. The staff could not have been more helpful or pleasant.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bill H
Dear Bill,
thank you for sharing your expecience at the ANtica Torre di Via Tornabuoni with many other globetrotters.
I wish you a longer stay for your next visit of Florence and I'll be happy to offer the best available service.
Looking forward to welcoming you again (for more than one night),
Sincerely.

West Hartford, Connecticut, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We loved this hotel! We stayed in the Library Room. Big by U.S. standards. Huge by European standards. Comfortable (true) king size bed. Friendly staff. Rates were pretty reasonable.

What set this hotel apart, however, we're the rooftop terraces - one overlooking the Duomo, the other the Arno River and bridges. Huge areas, self serve bar and phenomenal views. Can't imagine better views from a hotel in Florence!

Dear Aaron,
Thank you for your kind words regarding the Grand Deluxe Library room at the Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni 1.
The Library room has been completely designed by Angelica Frescobaldi, our wonderful interior designer and this room has the special touch of a room intimate and private.
I look forward to welcome you again in Florence and please, do not hesitate to contact me directly for future resrevations.