Hotel Sampaoli
$229
$311
$288
  • Restaurant
Hilton Garden Inn Florence Novoli(Florence)(Great Value!)
$144
NH Hotels
$413
$388
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstrain stationtraveling italyceiling fanno elevatorown bathroomconvenient locationduomo
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 17, 2008

I've stayed at a quite a few hostels throughout my travels, and I believe that Sampaoli ranks highly among them. I am a 32 y.o. male, stayed for 7 days.

The key points of interest for Sampaoli are:
+ it's really close to the major attractions of Florence
+ the staff (esp. Leonardo & Ricardo) are extremely friendly and helpful.
+ it was relatively quiet while I was there -- of course don't expect quiet sleep anywhere in Florence during the daytime!
+ the room I stayed in (room 7) is a single with what Americans call a full sized bed, and has it's own private bathroom (quite nice). Other shared rooms have multiple beds and shared bathrooms -- all of which were quite clean.
+ Typical age ranges of the people visiting the hostel (during the week I was there) are 18 - 25, with a majority of Americans/Canadians, Italian, some Japanese, some British, and Mexican... a really diverse but fun group.
+ Very safe environment: each room has a lock, and there are two doors to reach the outside. I would think this is an ideal hostel for solo female travelers (there were several during my stay).
+ Internet access is slow compared to the U.S. -- there are two computers for internet use, which are typically shut down at 10:00 pm to provide peace/quiet for the nearby rooms. Secure wireless internet is also available, but I couldn't receive it in room 7 (furthest from router).
+ The hostel provides bar soap/shampoo/towels, maps of florence, guidebooks that you can borrow, a moderate selection of DVD movies that you can watch in your room, and a common refrigerator/coffee grinder/microwave, etc.
+ You may want to bring your own pillow or ask for extra ones, they are pretty flat there.
+ The roads from Santa Maria Novella (train/bus station) to Sampaoli are paved with paving stones, and can be quite bumpy when dragging a suitcase (this is true of central Florence in general).
+ Petty theft/pickpocketing/purse snatching/suitcase snatching happens -- always be aware of these things. Your items are relatively safe in your room, I left my laptop there and money laying about for 7 days and nothing disappeared.

Overall my experience there was quite great and I highly recommend this hostel as a launching point for your Florence and surrounding area tours!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 12, 2008

On my second visit to this fine city I stayed with 2 friends at the Sampaoli. The staff was great, the room was clean, and the location was perfect. My only complaint would be the shared bathrooms, but even they are on par for Europe. Be warned if you have lots of luggage: NO ELEVATOR! On the positive side of that, even though we had minimal baggage the guy checking us in helped the 2 girls up with theirs. For the price you can't beat it. Those that have complained about this place really shouldn't expect 5 star accomodations at these prices. I feel that for what we paid we got an above average room and service.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 21, 2008

I was a 38 year old single woman traveling Italy solo. I was nervous about staying at hostels throughout my trip. I was afraid they would be loud and dirty, but I took a chance and I'm so glad I did! I stayed at Hotel Sampaoli for a total of 6 nights. My first night, I shared a room with 6 beds and the remaining 5 I had my own room. This was not your "average" hostel. It felt more like a hotel because it was quaint, quiet, and the managed very well. The employees were so nice and have a lot of knowlege about Florence, places to eat and pretty much everything. They were very patient and hospitable. I'll even go as far to say that a certain employee was very "forgiving" when I displayed my crabby side after having to climb so many steps to get up to the hotel upon my arrival :-) No lift by the way, but after all the walking you do in Florence, climbing a few steps won't matter! Besides, it's good to work off all that chianti & gelato! Trust me, it's worth the climb. The managers at Hotel Sampaoli provided a tranquil enviroment, and I felt like I was staying among adults even though there were a variety of ages coming in and out. It was also clean, comfortable, affordable and safe! It did get a little loud on the street below my window, but the noise stopped after a certain time, and I traveled with earplugs which everyone should do when staying in hostels. My experience was great and very refreshing. I would definitely stay at Hotel Sampaoli again without hesitation!

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed January 20, 2008

My friend and I stayed here from another friend's referral. We had an AMAZING time. Leonardo spoke fluent English and hilited the sights to see, restaurants to eat at, and other places to visit. He was very easy to talk to and took a personal interest in each traveler...making sure we all enjoyed our time in Florence and the neighboring areas. The rooms were nice and the bathrooms were always clean. I couldn't have asked for a better location and staff. I felt like I made a genuine Florentine friend by the time I left!!

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank LovinDC
Reviewed January 17, 2008

I was moving to Florence for the year and stayed at the Hotel Sampaoloi for the first 5 nights while looking for an apartment. I stayed in a single room (shared bath) which was extremely clean, had a sink, TV with BBC (for us non Italian speakers), wireless internet, a hair dryer, extra blankets and clean sheets/linens each day. It was a very quaint room with wood beamed ceilings and a view out to the street. It can be a bit noisy at night, but fine for young travellers. The room is perfect for one person.

What really makes the Hotel Sampaoli is the staff. They are friendly and helpful, and go the extra mile to help you to enjoy your stay in Florence. As I was moving there, Riccardo took extra time out of his day to help me find the apartments I was visiting, explain the complicated cell phone plans, and tell me about the city and Italian language. I can't imagine a more comfortable place to spend my first few days in Florence.

The hotel is set up a bit like a hostel, with 2 computers with internet, a coffee machine, free DVDs and guidebooks. Some of the rooms are shared, so it is a smaller space/layout than most North American hotels, but very typically European. I would highly recommend the Sampaoli for young travellers wanting, simple, clean accommodations, friendly service and all the conveniences to make your stay in Florence easy and fun.

Enjoy!