“BRILLIANT LOCATION, with some recommendations...”
Review of Hotel Centro

Hotel Centro
Ranked #314 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed February 28, 2011

Let's start with the good news--the location of this hotel CANNOT BE BEAT! You are a short, safe walk from everywhere you want to be in Florence. The staff was very nice, and most went out of their way to be helpful, particularly Francesco. His English is superb, and can answer any question you need to know about the area.

The rooms were quite spacious for the price, and the bed linens were crisp and clean. In fact, I have to say that the whole room was quite clean.

Breakfast is served each morning in the breakfast room, and it is suitable. There are a selection of breads and grains, with coffee and juices. There is also a nice computer area where you can check your email (for a price).

The bad news is this: The evening staff is kind of laughable. The man who was there for the overnight shift, although incredibly nice, was not exactly useful for a traveller. He did not speak a suitable amount of English, if you needed help. Most questions that I had for him, were greeted with the response "you need to ask Francesco tomorrow."

The worst part of this experience is the fact that this overnight staff member sits in the lobby area in a room on the side, smokinga cigar almost all night long. I could not even check my email without my allergies going crazy from the Cigar smoke. You could not smell the smoke in your room, but going into the lobby area was a chore.

The building is also old. You need to ring a bell to get in the building which rings on the second floor of the hotel, so that the staff can buzz you in. Some nights we waited outside in the cold, ringling the bell 4 or 5 times before we could get the 67 year old overnight staff awake to open the door. (Alhough, we were always greeted with a smile.)

The shower is a bit annoying, as the water has a tendancy to get all over the floor, however this is not a reason to not book this hotel (and I have encountered much worse showers in Scandinavia). As a result, the towels got incredibly wet from cleaning up the floor. We asked for new towels, and the overnight staff told us that they only change them every other day, and we had to wait.

I don't want this to come off as though I am tearing this place apart, and I am ultimately going to give this hotel a favorable recommendation. If you can take the overnight issues with a grain of salt, the rest of the stay was quite enjoyable, with a great staff and an UNBEATABLE location.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrNonRev
Hotelcentrofi, Direttore at Hotel Centro, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2011

Dear guest,

I'm very happy you had an afterall very good experience at the Hotel Centro and I'd like to thank you for sharing your thoughts. It really helps us to improve and, most important, avoid the situations that can cause a bad feeling with the hotel or the staff.

I've already talked to the overnight shift workers and made your point clear. He's very sorry for what happened.

I'd like to spend few words on the overnight shift staff because, as you probably know being a traveller, 2 starts hotels do not require by law to have an overnight shift staff.
We always aim to offer the best and, most important, secure service so we decided that even if the overnight shift could not help you as a traveller could help you in many other situation and, I can tell, happen very often. You could need and hospital, and ambulance, a late checkin, an early checkout and in general.... there's always someone there for you.

This thing is probably more valuable in the moment you need it.

What I always says in this cases is... to share your experience to the people of the staff so we could fix it immediatly. We really had a lovely and nice time together and I'm sorry to know that something was not perfect.

I'm looking forward to seeing you here again, I'm sure your experience will be excellent.

Have a very good day
Francesco

Reviewed February 5, 2011

I stayed in this hotel in January and it's an excellent hotel; good rooms, friendly staff (especially the young day manager and the older night shift manager)and they're very helpful.

Well worth the rates and I recommend this place highly..

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2011

We were two couples who booked our staying for the new years weekend, and we were pretty pleased with our staying except for the fact that you have to share the bathroom with 4 other rooms since we were staying in what is probably the budget rooms.

Of course booked through one of the known hotel pages on the net we found ourself with the least the hotel can offer - no big suprise. So this review only goes for the bottom floor with the 4 rooms they give you for their lowest price. Seeing pictures of the other rooms make you understand why other people had such a happy staying. The budget rooms are fully acceptable. What you're looking at here is basically a place to stay to explore the city. They say the windows are possible to open, but that's something I doubt because when I tried it there was no way of opening it.
Note: There are pictures illustrating our room.

The breakfast is below my standards, judging from several staying all over Europe. What you get is the most basic thing you can think of. A piece of bread, coffe, tee and sometimes a yogurt. Nothing to write home about. I think they're dealing with a small budget on their stayings so it's understandable that they can't arrange an enormous buffé, but I think they could have done better.

The people in charge are above hotel standards :) Very friendly and helpful. You come back after 5 minutes of walk and they greet you with the same enthusiasm.

About the bathroom. The shower is located in the middle of this small bathroom which makes it quite boring to enter if someone had a shower, because there are no tools left for the guest to clean up so it's pretty wet after a use. And that's only one of the problems that comes with the shared bathroom facility - not to mention the nightmare of people who have long showers in the morning when you wake up and might need to use the toilet. Needless to say, it's awful.

After all this wasn't the worst staying I ever had, and with the city so near you won't have time to think about these small problems. There are of course glimses of light in the hotel. There's the free internet access, there's the restroom with books. Mmmmm... My recommendation would be to put up that extra money for the better rooms and you'll probably have an even better experience than we had.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank NokaJon
Hotelcentrofi, Direttore at Hotel Centro, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2011

Dear Guest, thanks for your comment, it really helps us to better understand what people think and feel when they come here.
I'm sorry your experience has not been as expected, please let me add some details about it in order to clarify things people can't verify by themselves.
Your rooms (2 rooms, you were 2 couples) have a shared bathroom. Only your 2 rooms share that bathroom, is not shared by 4 rooms, that could be impossible to manage. The two other rooms (101-104) have their own bathroom. During your 2 nights stay only you four had showers in that bathroom!
I'm also sorry you missed our daily cooked cakes in the morning buffet together with the "panettone" available every morning in that period.
Our only way to work is to know that every person that goes back home is happy and satisfied by our services.
Sometimes is very difficult to know what people pay attention to or what are their standards, I strongly suggest to every person I welcome everyday to share their needs and dissatisfactions, whatever they are, most of the times it takes nothing to have a smile come back and enjoy a full breakfast.

I hope you'll have the chance to visit again florence and welcome you again here at Hotel Centro.

Thanks
Francesco Levanti

Reviewed October 28, 2010

Room was clean - bathroom was huge by European standards. Street was very noisy at night. Staff very friendly. Breakfast was ok - cereal, breads with spreads and coffee. The location was ideal - easy walking distance to the art museums, the Duomo, and other major sites. Definite value for money. Bonus of a convenient store located directly downstairs. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2010

The hotel is as central as it gets, about 5 mins from the Cathedral and Acedemia.

The rooms are clean and a good size (although the bathroom is very small). The breakfast is decent.

The chap who checked us in is a delight, extremely welcoming and friendly. Free wifi allows me to write this review :)

For the money I doubt you could do any better in Florence!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2010

We loved the atmosphere, the friendliness and service-mindedness of the staff and the family feel of the Hotel. Not too fancy but authentic and charming in the San Lorenzo area and just what we wanted.

Hotel Centro has managed to stay true to the history of the building and it is obvious that the owners and the staff are very proud of their town and its history - it shows all over the hotel with the wall decorations, the history/architectural books etc.

Another plus is the included breakfast.

The location of the hotel is perfect for any tourist visiting Firenze.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed September 9, 2010

Firenze is for turists! Bad food (cheap ingredients, undercooked and no condiments...), museums, and very high prises. Some days the best meal that I've got was Hotel Centros Breakfast buffet...
But nice and pleasant personal, the comfortness - boarding to homly, made my visit in the city a pleasant adventure. The staff made their outmost to make me feel as a dearly welcomed guest.
I recommend this hotel to anyone, especially if travelling alone as the hotel in many ways feel like staying with a very nice family!!!
Best regards: Jorgen Persson, ecological anthropologist.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo