Hotel Centro
Hotel Lungarno(Florence)
$675
$651
  • Restaurant
All reviewsshared bathroomenjoyed our stayfirst floorduomoearplugsmap
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My friend and I spent 1 month in Europe. The location was great, neall all the sites. However, this was by far one of the worst hotel that we've stayed in. Our room along with the reception area smelled of cigarettes. We did not have our own private bathroom so we had to share. The shower was in the middle of the bathroom right next to the toilet, with only curtains cover. So evertime we showered, the whole entire bathroom is spashed/covered with water. Or if you come in after someone who had shower you would have to wipe down everything before you can use it. Our room was very stuffy and hot. I felt dirty the whole entire time that I was there, even after my shower.

The streets were busy and the noise was unbearable. The street also smell of urine. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ChickenLittle5
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Centro from this October (2012). If you are reading other reviews which focus on the size of the room, I suspect that those posting have not frequented Europe. European hotel rooms are frequently small, and can not be compared to those in North America. Also more common in Europe, our accommodation was had a shared/public bathroom.

We chose Hotel Centro due to a combination of price and location. The hotel is ideally situated to explore Florence, being within a few minutes walk from the Duomo, Ufizzi Gallery, Academia and the Mercato Centro. The hotel is typical of Italian and French budget hotels we have used in the past. The room was clean, and the hotel had small public room areas with books to read. The shared bathroom was very dated, and I would suggest bringing shower shoes (or flip flops). The water was HOT, and the shower small but functional. The furnishings are very bare, and as with many older European Hotels, you can usually smell some lingering vestiges of the smokers there before you.

The staff were excellent. The service counter is manned at all times, and I found each employee to be very helpful. When I was trying to call my work back in the US, and was unable to make an international call, the cleaning woman showed up to our room with a tray of coffees. She sensed my frustration and felt bad that she could not help. The day manager was always lovely, offering help when needed and a smile upon our return.

For those looking to spend their dollars on an experience in lieu of a bed, Hotel Centro is safe, clean, and friendly. While certainly no-frills, it offered no unpleasant surprises either.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The Good: Location is great, near all the sites. Everyone at reception was very nice and helpful.

The Bad: The Hotel is located on a very narrow street and since it is downtown, the streets were pretty busy and you could hear clearly what passersby were saying (I could recite whole conversations) the noise kept me up all night. We came by car and had to pay 44 Euro in parking fees for 24 hours (not the fault of the Hotel, but didn't realize that parking would we SO expensive).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank namaste25sd
Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

I paid a very low rate for this hotel and got the value I hoped for. The location is excellent very central for walking to all attractions.
The staff are pleasant and have enough English to get by.
The rooms are very small with shared bathroom, potentially noisy and no air conditiining so certainly not luxury but were cleaned daily and fine just to sleep in if street noise does not bother you (I slept fine).
Overall if you just want a bed and a shower in a great location for a bargain price book here!
Also just to mention - great cocktail bar just across street if you like a late night drink.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I booked this hotel on a deal from expedia, so we got two nights for $61 total, so we were slightly concerned and didn't expect much. The room was VERY small, the window was broken, so it got to be a little noisy, and we did have to share a bathroom, but honestly, for the price, it wasn't that bad. It is in a great location and we walked around in the evening/night both nights we were there and felt completely safe. It's one block from San Lorenzo's market and the Medici Chapels and not too much farther to the train station. It was nice to do some shopping, be able to drop the bags off and then continue on with the day. The hotel was very clean too and we did eat breakfast there one morning and it was more than adequete. We did not realize we did not get breakfast as part of our reservation, but the owner said it was fine and never charged us. He was a nice guy and if we come to Florence again, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there.

Room Tip: They have rooms with bathrooms, so if you are looking for this, be sure to ask in when you make the reservation.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple