“Good location, not what I expected”
Review of Hotel Centro

Hotel Centro
Ranked #314 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed March 21, 2012

To be fair, I had no idea what I was booking when I booked this hotel for a recent trip to Florence. It is in a great location, about 5 minutes walking distance from the Duomo and about 15 mins walking from the train station. As the other reviews have stated, the employees are very nice and helpful, which is always a plus for a hotel, and it was clean.

However, upon arrival we learned that we booked the cheapest room rate (around $115/night) which did not include a private bathroom (not ideal for two married travelers) and the room was literally the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in. It was just a bed and a sink (and a bidet... but no toilet? This must be Europe!) and we could barely fit the two average sized pieces of luggage we had with us. I am not accustomed to fancy schmancy hotels, so I'm not being a snob, I was just very surprised at the size of the room for the cost. Plus, we had a room facing the street and the noise at night was pretty much unbearable... and I live in NYC. (I travelled around Europe on a very tight budget when I was in college and I never even stayed in a hotel this odd.)

To sum up, if you are travelling to Florence and looking for an ideal location and don't care about your own bathroom and being able to get your luggage into your room, this is your place. Otherwise, it might be better to look for a slightly larger nicer hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 4, 2012

"+":
-close to S.M. train station
-located in city centre
-free wifi(5 euros) for whole stay

"-":
-very simple breakfast
-crowdy district, noisy at nights

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Evgeny S
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Property was very convenient to train station and other sightseeing. Could walk most places. Staff was very helpful and friendly and property was clean. Try to get a room not in the front as street noise is bad. Rooms pretty large. Breakfast is the usual cereal, juice, coffee and pastries. Very adequate. Also yogurt.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Beverly M
Reviewed November 12, 2011

The location of this hotel was excellent for us. It's a 15min walk from the train station with somewhat heavy luggage. If you are not a fast walker, it may take you 20, assuming you don't get lost. The location was excellent because it was so close to the Duomo, shopping, food, and also convenient to the Uffizi museum, and, really everywhere. It's a great central location.

Also, the service by Franceso and the cleaning ladies, was excellent. There was another guy Franceso was possibly training during the day and he was very helpful too.

I give the location and service 5 stars. I give the room, 3.5. It had an overhead fan, but it was getting chilly when we were there and I cannot attest to the a/c which was unneeded on our trip this time of year. The room was very clean but had a dorm room feel, very bland, a cold white floor, and our room had a sink in it 3 feet from the furthest twin bed (and not separated by anything). In an odd way it made us feel like we were in a bedroom/bathroom. We ended up in a room that did not have a bathroom inside of it, but outside the room maybe 10 feet away and marked "private". We were told that was to be our private bathroom. Walk in the bathroom & you are walking right through the shower (yes, you read that right) and then into the space with the toilet and sink. The sink did not work, hence the sink in our room. We did not like that and washed our hands in the shower after using the toilet. So this bathroom was the bane of our issues with the hotel and the reason I only gave 4 stars, though we didn't complain. One side of the toilet was so close to the wall that my hip would be touching the cold wall if I sit straight on the toilet and not to the side. I am a tall but not overweight woman either. A heavyset person would be uncomfortable with this. I was.

The shower drained fine but then the floor will be wet when you are walking though the bathroom because of this odd set up, so we showered at night and after drying the floor a bit with the bathmat, it would be dry in the morning and during the day. However, this is a fall risk. We got used to it though, it's an old European bathroom so that's just that. We bought pool flip flops (not easy to find there) because, you are traipsing through the shower in your street shoes on the way to the toilet. Our 2nd night there we were asked by the older desk clerk who speaks little English, if we would share our bathroom with a couple downstairs because their shared bathroom wasn't working. That was very upsetting to us because we paid for a private bathroom and he wouldn't have asked us if we had had a bathroom inside our room. We said no, let them share one with the other shared bathroom people on the 2nd floor, not our private bathroom. He was annoyed with us and said he'd talk to Francesco in the morning. We never had any further discussion on it but felt that someone was coming in and out of or bathroom anyway over the next 2 days (there is a key and we kept it locked but found it unlocked several times the rest of our stay, and once, in the evening the toilet was running and couldn't be flushed which means it had just been used so we knew it wasn't the maid just coming in and out forgetting to lock it). This was very distressing but we decided to just let it go and not go crazy. It was because Francesco was so nice that we didn't want to complain about something we could not prove since we didn't actually see anyone go in or out of it.

My advice is, just get a room with a bathroom IN IT. The helpfulness of Francesco cannot be understated. He was an immense help when I was trying to call my bank because they put a hold on my account despite having told them I would be overseas beforehand. He helped me try to use my calling card and when it didn't work, he let me call from the front desk phone (it was a 3-4 min call) and didn't charge me because he could see I was headed for a meltdown. He also allowed us to use the main restroom to clean up when we initially arrived there the first day, several hours before check in. So the service and friendliness by him, his assistant and both of the housekeepers was excellent and I left them a little bag of gourmet cookies as a last minute thank you because I truly liked them. Towels were changed every day. Breakfast was continental. Just get a room with a bathroom in it if that's important to you.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank 72Niki
Reviewed September 25, 2011

This two star hotel is located in a great area, easy walk to the Duomo. Our room is what we'd expect for a two star hotel and did it's job of providing a bed and shower. Place was clean and the staff was friendly and helped us with questions about the area. The free continential breakfast served by the hotel included croissants, yogurt, cereal, and coffee. Overall, this place was a convenient place to stay and great for budget travellers.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Stay at the Centro for 2 days and really enjoyed the location...the room was average and the staff was friendly eventhough lack of english speaking. All in all
we had a good two days in the area.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2011

The PROS: Hotel Centro is located in a good location within reasonable walking distance (around 25 min walk with suitcases, while orienting yourself) from Firenze SMN station. On the street, there are minimarts, cafes, and the leather market. The Duomo & David is about 5-10 min walk away.

The hotel itself is in a very old building which requires you to press two buzzers to get through two large doors. From there, you take a very tiny elevator (big enough for 1 + suitcase) to the 1st floor where the hotel lobby is located.

The CONS:

The hotel advertises many times on its own personal website that the entire property is air conditioned and that all 16 rooms have air conditioning. Well, I just stayed at the hotel and I can confirm that this is A LIE.

When I checked in, I noticed my receipt said that A/C in my room was "not available" (my stay was during mid-August which was quite HOT in Florence)... When questioned, I was told my room had no A/C, just one fan. I asked about why they falsely advertised that all their rooms had A/C, when this would have played a part in our choice of hotel. He just said that there were no rooms with A/C left for 3 people throughout all 3 nights of my stay, that I have no choice. That was deceptive of them to advertise in such a way, only for us to be surprised upon check-in.

The ceiling fan was poorly installed and extremely loud. When we opened the windows, mosquitos came into the room since there was no netting and I got a few bites on my leg. So we kept them shut. We've spent 3 nights with hardly any sleep because of the intense heat, with just one loud, old fan circulating hot air around the room for three.

Here's the digusting part. The shower door had come off the hinge, causing some water to come out of the shower, and we used towels to keep the bathroom floor dry. The next day, during room cleaning, they took the wet towels off the floor, and hung them over the shower for us to reuse. We went downstairs to ask for clean towels since those ones were used to clean the water off the floors, and at first, the staff said "no, I don't have the key." After we asked how we can shower without dry towels, he grumbled some stuff in Italian and went to the closet and said "ONE. JUST ONE. I WILL ONLY REPLACE ONE." Well, all the towels were stacked together by housekeeping and we had no idea which one was soaking up water off the floor. The 3 of us had 1 clean towel to use. It's pretty disgusting to think that they could expect us to use towels that had been used to mop up water off their bathroom floor, which, by the way, was quite old and the shower had rust/mold around the hinges. We bought our own towels to use after that incident, since they refused to provide us with clean ones.

They said linens would be replaced every 3 days, but we didn't think that would include wet towels used to clean water off the floor. I read that another member on tripadvisor had made the same comment awhile earlier, and management promised to take those comments into consideration. We are disappointed by the standard of hygiene and attitude when we asked for new towels.

Our last night, there were intermittent blackouts and also a lack of hot water in the shower.

In the end, these things ruined our stay in Florence. We will stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family